Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
35 years ago I did 150 every morning. These days I’m challenged to do 30.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
OK I just did 5 at age 75. For the future, we'll see.

NICE JOB!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mart
Four years ago I did a 100 pushup challenge at the age of 56. My initial starting point I could only do 11. Eight weeks later on the final day I did 92 without stopping. I have been able to keep up with doing 50 right along since then.

Awesome. I bet you are probably in the 98th or 99th percentile for your age group.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Was just thinking about the practical benefits of pushups yesterday. I was was at the YMCA, working out for the first time in a week, the Thanksgiving holiday has gotten the best of me. After riding the bike I was planning to use the incline bench but it was apparent I was not the only dude trying to make a comeback so I grabbed one of the newer incline machines and as I'm doing my reps there is a guy getting in position to do some pushups. I'm thinking at the time, why am I not doing that exercise as it was always one of my favorites?

Going to start a new pushup routine in the morning.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm in. Started today. Did them bringing my nose within an inch of the floor. Tougher than I thought. Thanks for the challenge. I needed it. - tnscouter

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That plays hell on rotator cuffs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Both wrists injured and a shoulder giving me fits right now, so it ain't happening. One wrist was injured almost two years ago and still isn't healed. I shoveled some snow this weekend and it hurt like hell. It's getting real old.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Both wrists injured and a shoulder giving me fits right now, so it ain't happening. One wrist was injured almost two years ago and still isn't healed. I shoveled some snow this weekend and it hurt like hell. It's getting real old.

Hate to tell ya Roy, but getting old is REAL!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kelbro
That plays hell on rotator cuffs.

Absolutely.

Fellas that aren't used to doing them, *do them from your knees for the first week!* Ease into the full pushup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Toddly
In my peak shape I could do about 75. I’d be lucky to ever get past 35.

I must be missing something here, I can drop and do a set of 110 and I’m a senior citizen.

I do mine on the “perfect pushup” device every single day.

You guys can Sissy your lives away, not me.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 12/01/19.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m in as well. One set per day or more than one ok? What do those of you that have done this recommend. Seems like 10 is easy, would it be better to do a few sets of 10 and work up. I can’t do 50 in a row right now. Could probably do 20, wait a few, do 15, wait a few, do 15 or 10 and 5

Keep Smiling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can’t do more than thirty for a set, you must have a dissatisfied wife

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Might as well add the sit up challenge in as well. Gonna follow the chart for both and see some abs that are hiding under winter insulation and tighten the pecs back up. Been too long and need to get back after it. Ran a 15 k 12/1, slow and low with my 5'0" tall wife, but felt good.
Trying not to end up like the Raising Arizona quote below

Keep Smiling
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JonS
I’m in as well. One set per day or more than one ok? What do those of you that have done this recommend. Seems like 10 is easy, would it be better to do a few sets of 10 and work up. I can’t do 50 in a row right now. Could probably do 20, wait a few, do 15, wait a few, do 15 or 10 and 5

Somewhat along your line of thinking, I'm planning to do some stretching to warm up the shoulders, arms and torso. Then a set of six or so always concentrating on form. Next set is the goal for that day. Third set up to goal. Since I don't recuperate as quick as I used to, modify as needed. Finish with several sets of planks. Everyone will respond differently to the physical demand based on a variety of factors.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was in the service we had a guy who would challenge us to push-ups at lunch time. Only it was 500 push-ups in an hour. He could easily do them.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

You have carpal bones out of alignment. Find a *good* chiropractor that knows how to adjust extremities.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by Toddly
In my peak shape I could do about 75. I’d be lucky to ever get past 35.

I must be missing something here, I can drop and do a set of 110 and I’m a senior citizen.

I do mine on the “perfect pushup” device every single day.

You guys can Sissy your lives away, not me.

That was in one minute.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just resumed after shoulder surgery did 100 this morning and will do another before going to work tomorrow. It will also be my first day back to work in 7 months because of surgery. Oh yes I am 65 , also do 2-300 sit-ups a day. Must say it's a bitch starting working out again after so much time off.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Latest recommendation is to NOT do them on your knees, but use an incline! The important thing is the straight back, heels to shoulders, knees on the floor mess it all up. If you need to make it easier, use any incline where hands are higher than feet. Heck use a wall if you need to get started! If you want them harder, put your feet up on the incline.

Another good challenge that won't stress as much, call it a first challenge when the pushups is next. Simple plank. Do it for 30seconds a day, then 5 pushups. Keep proper form. Each week add 5 seconds and 1 pushup. Max out at 60seconds and 10 pushups. That will start your core and shoulder work, then evolve into this one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Fireball- try my technique of using some dumbells to push off of. Works for me.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.