Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14330271 12/02/19
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
The portable tanks you water cattle with. Our local farm store sells the H&W brand. The used to be good when they soldered the bottom seam. Lately they just use caulk. That leaks badly.

Any here have a tank you like?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've switched all but one to poly tanks. As soon as the last galvanized one starts leaking, it'll be plastic. One leaky windmill tank now has a concrete liner... A lotta guys around here are going tire tanks with concrete bottoms.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Are those the Sioux brand?

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Min is 6 x 2 x 2 ft Biden tank

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I've switched all but one to poly tanks. As soon as the last galvanized one starts leaking, it'll be plastic. One leaky windmill tank now has a concrete liner... A lotta guys around here are going tire tanks with concrete bottoms.

Those tire tanks with concrete are the best I've ever seen.

The better ones had a concrete pad that went far enough away from the trough to not wallow out from cattle watering for decades.

The one's I use now are the thick Rubbermaid troughs, and recently a traditional galvanized one that waters 2 pastures. The Rubbermaid trough I had out there developed a 3" crack in the side. WTH is that? Not sure why that happened, unless it was my white trash neighbor with a hatchet...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We use an old bulk tank from a dairy barn. It's about 3'x3'x10. Makes it a lot nicer during the summer when 100 head try to get a drink. The old 100 gallon tanks just didn't cut it anymore. Bulk tanks are pretty rugged also. Found ours on Craigslist for a few hundred dollars...

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Barry is that Gaucho wire?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yessir. 2 barb gaucho.

It's longer lasting down here in high humidity areas.

Have my new length of boundary fence put up using it too.

6 wire.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Barry, I bought seven rolls of that in March, we still need to get it up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Any here have a tank you like?

Richard, last Fall my dad and I each bought one of these. Fiberglass, double wall insulated tanks designed to go over a hydrant. They are expensive but well worth it IMO.

They key is selecting a tank with the right volume so that it will keep up with the herd yet still not be too big. If it's too big it won't fully recharge with 'warm' water and you will get more ice on the drink holes than need be.

We went with two 12' tanks.

Should have went with a 10 or maybe even a little 8' for the bred heifers. 60-70 head just doesn't pull enough water out of it.

But we have had zero issues with the hydrants freezing up and last winter it got down to -40F so that was a great test. I'd like to get a couple more but can't afford it!

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, did you ever have a tank heater from Albert City Manufacturing?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't know John. Do you mean the old Cowboy Tank Heaters? There is one of those around somewhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that they were printed as such - submerge, fill with cobs, light.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
If I can find it John, I'll try for a picture. It's as old as I am, and just a bit less rusty.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
That is interesting Sam. The ways people raise cattle different places.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is what we've put in. They're pricey, but got a little bit of NRCS money to help out. Not much, mind you, maybe enough to pay for the concrete base.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
James, do you need extra heat to keep it from freezing?

We put in a Mirrofount that was claimed to not need a heater. We put in a submersible heater, then changed it out completely.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
James, do you need extra heat to keep it from freezing?

We put in a Mirrofount that was claimed to not need a heater. We put in a submersible heater, then changed it out completely.

Richard, these are supposed to be freeze proof. They better be, because they're not close to electricity for any kind of heater. Now, the freeze proof claim is based upon the cattle using them, and keeping the water flowing. One of these tanks is in a pasture that will not be used this winter, so I'm a little concerned about it. Thought about draining it, but then have been told not to, as that's what helps to keep it from freezing. I've even explored the possibility of putting in a solar powered light bulb, down underneath the tank where the water line is, hoping it would put out just a little bit of heat.

But, so far I haven't seen anything that I thought would work, so hopefully with global warming being the new norm, it won't get that cold. Typically, we have a low temp in most winters down around zero. Coldest I ever saw here was -22. If it gets that cold, there might be a problem. Time will tell.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
You might blow the line out with compressed air James.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There isn't much room down there to work with, so I'm doubting that I would be able to do that. The problem is........these tanks are hooked directly to the water line that runs across the fields from the meter out on the highway to my house. If, for some reason, a fitting were to freeze and burst, and I couldn't shut the water off below the break, then I'd have to shut it off at the meter, and I'd be out of water. I "think" and I use that word loosely, that it's unlikely that would happen, but if it were to get really cold and stay that way for a week, I'm going to be concerned. On the other hand, there may not be a thing to worry about.....providing I put it in right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,995 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.