Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe some people in the know can chime in. There have been several threads on the 6.5 PRC over the last couple of years. I am wondering how things are looking for it these days now that more time has passed since it’s introduction.

Does it seem to be taking off, or is it still too soon to tell? Obviously no one can know what the future holds, but I’d be interested to hear opinions. Hornady has a nice long list of companies making rifles for 6.5 PRC on their website, and to me the PRC seems like an exciting new option, but I might just be a sucker for advertising.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know the status of it in the marketplace but recently began seeing Hornady 6.5 PRC available at a local sporting goods dept. A friend also got a new rifle from Fierce Firearms, ( forgot the model name ) in 6.5 PRC and that thing shoots ! Hasn't taken any game with it yet and is currently firing factory ammo to get some brass. I'm also wondering if that cartridge will take off. I've heard that the case capacity is about like a 264 Win. Mag.. Looking at a factory round reminds me of a WSM round. Pretty interesting and now that anything in 6.5 is considered cool perhaps it will get some traction. Us old timers can recall when anything in 6.5 mm was considered uncool.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

Whoever is saying the case capacity is like the .264 is mistaken. It's just about exactly the same as the 6.5-06. I know due to having a 6.5 PRC built last year, and comparing its water capacity with several other 6.5 cases.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the latest 6.5 craze I wonder why the 6.5-06 doesn't get more attention?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by irfubar

LA magazine length restrictions.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A generous selection of factory rifle offerings, readily available inexpensive quality ammo and components. You gotta give Hornady credit, they do their homework and are prepared for newly released and highly marketed cartridges. A few other manufacturers could learn a thing or two from Hornady.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No factory loaded ammo, for starters.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by westernsloper
I am wondering how things are looking for it these days now that more time has passed since it’s introduction.
Does it seem to be taking off, or is it still too soon to tell?.

I think it's dead in the water.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Understood gentlemen, I was thinkin from a loony's perspective.... wink

My first 6.5-06 was on a Savage action and the second a Rem M700 action, no problems with mag length with vld type bullets. My current on a pre-64 M70 is a little more challenged with the 3.4" mag box.
RL-26 and 140gr I get 2950 fps with out excessive pressure.

Seems a 6.5 prc needs a long action also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
I am wondering how things are looking for it these days now that more time has passed since it’s introduction.

You must be kidding

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My first 6.5-06 was on a Savage action and the second a Rem M700 action, no problems with mag length with vld type bullets. My current on a pre-64 M70 is a little more challenged with the 3.4" mag box.

The PRC has no issues breaking 3000 with a 143 or even a 147, it does not need a long action.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
irfubar, Please tell your COAL on the 6.5-06 loads with chosen bullet.
I think the ELD's take up valuable case capacity to fit mag constraints with '06 cases.
Otherwise, the SAUM/WSSM cases would not have looked so attractive during development.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only three loads I’ve shot through my 6.5 PRC, it’s hard to decide which one to use, never had that problem before with everything I shot through a given rifle.

147’s at 2940 Factory
143 ELDX AT 2980 Factory
139 Scenar at 3000 handload

147 ELDM

143 ELDX

139 Scenar

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Whoever is saying the case capacity is like the .264 is mistaken. It's just about exactly the same as the 6.5-06. I know due to having a 6.5 PRC built last year, and comparing its water capacity with several other 6.5 cases.

Have you compared the two as far as head to head with, say, 140 grain bullets Mule Deer?
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's exactly what I did, used the same bulllet seated to maximum OAL in all the rounds. Can't remember which bullet offhand, but it was in the 140-grain range--probably the 143 ELD-X. Used the standard .270/.30-06 OAL for the 6.5-06.

The 6.5 SAUM/GAP 4S also had very similar H20 capacity, within half a grain.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Why do say the 6.5 PRC "seems" to need a long action? Mine runs like silk through a short action.

FWIW, I'm driving 139 scenars at 3080fps without pushing pressure. Some of my cases have 10 firings on them.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTM45,

My current 6.5-06 is a pre-64 M70 with a 3.4" mag box.

Shown is a loaded round with a 142 LRAB seated to 3.395
Left to right is ;

1. 140 Berger VLD

2. 142 LRAB

3. 147 ELDM

4. 143 ELDX

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This should give a perspective on bullet intrusion into the case, they are lined up even.
The distance to lands of course depends upon throat length

Last edited by irfubar; 12/02/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Why do say the 6.5 PRC "seems" to need a long action? Mine runs like silk through a short action.

FWIW, I'm driving 139 scenars at 3080fps without pushing pressure. Some of my cases have 10 firings on them.

aalf built his on a long action. The factory loads them to 2.955 how does that fit in a Rem short action with a 2.8" magazine?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
looks like there are several new models out in PRC , including rifles by Ruger , Howa , and even Mossberg........

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/c/cat100003?q=%3Arelevance%3Acaliber%3A6.5%2BPRC&page=1&&pageSize=20

I think the cartridge will steadily gain ground

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm sure they fit in all of the rifles being made that are listed on Hornady's site. My loads function perfectly through un altered AI mags(front plate not removed).

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess the question is what short actions does the 6.5 prc fit? my Savages have a 3' mag box but I cannot get a magnum bolt head for the short action.

Montana Rifle co. has a 3"+ mag box. Not sure on the Ruger? I believe Winchester SA has a 3" magbox

I am not familiar with the AI magbox, is that factory? does it fit a Rem SA if so do you have to machine the action?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Savage does make rifles in the PRC.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did a little research and it looks like Bergara, Seekins, Browning, Ruger, Christensen, GA, Fierce and Proof chamber for the 6.5 PRS, non seem to be hunting rifles, all appear to be tactical rifles.
And most seem to be semi-custom boutique rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess the question is what short actions does the 6.5 prc fit? my Savages have a 3' mag box but I cannot get a magnum bolt head for the short action.

Montana Rifle co. has a 3"+ mag box. Not sure on the Ruger? I believe Winchester SA has a 3" magbox

I am not familiar with the AI magbox, is that factory? does it fit a Rem SA if so do you have to machine the action?

It does fit R700 SA's with the proper DBM, and there is no altering of the action itself.

For those that don't like a mag that goes down to the level of the trigger guard, Curtis Customs manufactures a high quality detachable mag that is flush with the stock.

Only my opinion, but I won't hunt with a rifle without a DBM system. They have been 100% reliable for cycling. Never had a snafu with them....and never had one fall out.

Just talked to George Gardner(who helped with the development of the PRC), he said at this time the 6.5 PRC is # 4 in factory ammo leaving the plant, #1 is the 6.5 Creedmoor, then the 6MM Creedmoor, then .308, with the 6.5 PRC at #4.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

My Savages are the M10 center feed and magnum bolt heads are not available. They make an oddball controlled round feed for the WSM rounds but that bolt head will not fit the standard Savage 10

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Did a little research and it looks like Bergara, Seekins, Browning, Ruger, Christensen, GA, Fierce and Proof chamber for the 6.5 PRS, non seem to be hunting rifles, all appear to be tactical rifles.

Howa , Savage , Ruger , Sauer , Bergera , and others all making hunting weight rifles

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

My Savages are the M10 center feed and magnum bolt heads are not available. They make an oddball controlled round feed for the WSM rounds but that bolt head will not fit the standard Savage 10

well , I guess you will just have to buy a brand new Savage , if thats what you want in PRC

https://www.internationalsportsman.com/savage-arms-6-5-prc-rifles/

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 12/02/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info Pat.

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to have a short action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

well , I guess you will just have to buy a brand new Savage , if thats what you want in PRC

I refuse to buy a new Savage, overpriced and butt ugly, no thanks the old ones are ugly enough... wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wonder why Remington hasn't jumped on the prc train?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder why Remington hasn't jumped on the prc train?

Hell Jud , look how long it took them to jump on the 6.5 Creedmoor, them boys ain't to bright

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
irfubar, thanks for posting the additional info and pics! Helps me in my gathering info for my next build.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45
irfubar, thanks for posting the additional info and pics! Helps me in my gathering info for my next build.

You're welcome, I just noticed I made a typo, the loaded round is 3.395" oal

Last edited by irfubar; 12/02/19.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

This is what has me scratching my head about case life with my 6.5-06 AI. If I load 140 Bergers at 3050, after three firings the primer pockets are getting loose. And that's with H-1000, two different kinds of brass.

Yet the 6.5 SAUM and PRC don't seem to have that problem. Stouter case heads on those two perhaps??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Probably.

Will note that I "built" my rifle on a 700 short-magnum rifle, already barreled with a #4 Lilja in 9.3 Barsness-Sisk, the one and only wildcat I will ever "develop." It has a Bansner High-Tech stock, and always shot very well.

This was for a short-deadline article on handloading the 6.5 PRC for the Hodgdon Annual Manual, and while a 6.5 PRC was definitely in my plans, I needed one for the deadline. Luckily, Lilja had one #4 contour 6.5 1-8 barrel in stock, so I bought it, and a Pacific Tool & Gauge reamer for Charlie.

I considered installing a Wyatt's box, but time was short so decided to see what might work in the "short" Remington magazine. Plus, I could test all the loads by single-loading anyway. Turned out the rifle shot most accurately with loads with a COAL length that fit in the standard Remington magazine, around 2.85". That may change with more shooting and "chasing" the lands, but so far it keeps shooting little-bitty groups with several bullets seated to 2.85". It's probably my latest favorite "modern" big game rifle, but then I'm one of those notoriously fickle rifle loonies.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

This is what has me scratching my head about case life with my 6.5-06 AI. If I load 140 Bergers at 3050, after three firings the primer pockets are getting loose. And that's with H-1000, two different kinds of brass.

Yet the 6.5 SAUM and PRC don't seem to have that problem. Stouter case heads on those two perhaps??

My 6.5-284 with 26” Krieger (ballistic twin to the 6.5-06) pushes 140 VLD’s at 3K with 48.8 gr RL-17. No signs of pressure. Lapua brass with tight primer pockets. Easy extraction of fired cases. Nice shooting round.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/02/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John, can you share who you used to build your 6.5 PRC (local or shipped out)? I am considering rebarreling a Kimber 325 WSM and am trying to decide who I should use.

Thanks,
Jerry

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

I used Charlie Sisk, who a few years ago moved from the Houston area back to his native Kentucky.

Charlie built the original rifle as a 9.3 Barsness-Sisk back in 2005, using a #4 contour Lilja stainless barrel, so all he had to do for this project was fit another #4 Lilja 6.5 barrel.

His website is off-line at the moment, apparently getting rebuilt, but he also has a Facebook page--and still visits the Campfire from time to time (he recently even posted on this forum). You can e-mail him at charliesiskguns.com.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by aalf

I'm thinking like a Ford /Mercury comparison. The Mercury was a bit bigger and nicer, but not enough to matter. Now, they don't make Mercury anymore because they are dead in the water.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by StrayDog

I'm thinking like a Ford /Mercury comparison. The Mercury was a bit bigger and nicer, but not enough to matter. Now, they don't make Mercury anymore because they are dead in the water.

Unlike the PRC......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of rumors of Barnes, Federal and Nosler releasing new factory ammo offerings for the 6.5 PRC for the new year. I didn’t think it would take long.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My 6.5-284 with 26” Krieger (ballistic twin to the 6.5-06) pushes 140 VLD’s at 3K with 48.8 gr RL-17. No signs of pressure. Lapua brass with tight primer pockets. Easy extraction of fired cases. Nice shooting round.

My latest PRC is at 3100 even with 140 VLD's in a 24" Bartlein.......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hold the PRC and pass the RPM. 😉

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If Ruger would release the RAR and or Tikka the T3, in 6.5 PRC, it’d really take off, imo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son-in-law built one on a remington 700 long action with a McGowan Remage barrel. If I remember correctly he was getting 200-250 fps faster than a 6.5 Creedmoor with the Hornady 143 eld. He shot 2 antelope in Wyoming with it in October and it worked as it should, DRT. My only take from it all was that it kicked more than the Creedmoor and didn't kill any quicker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
If Ruger would release the RAR and or Tikka the T3, in 6.5 PRC, it’d really take off, imo.

id second that id take couple of the ruger american with the threaded barrel 24in long, truck guns loaner guns ect, also a tikka t3 would be great

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Just so you know, Savage quit the CRF actions years ago. All you need is a Mag bolt head and verify firing pin size.

I have a parts 270 WSM with a non CRF bolt head. Works great.

“Lighten up Francis”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hope it takes off like wildfire. I have a Kimber MT 300 wsm standing by for the “transition”.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Have you checked PT&G? IIRC, they have bolt heads for the Savages. Not a Savage guy, but as I recall, there are multiple models, and the PT&G may or may not fit yours.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was thinking of taking my 24" barrel 6.5 CM Tikka and have it re chambered to 6.5 PRC.The 6.5 CM shoots good but under whelms me as far as velocity.I also have a Tikka 6.5X55 that shoots as good as the 6.5 CM with better velocity out of a 22" barrel.I would be saving nothing in action length as Tikka`s are all the same.I do have a donor mag face Tikka bolt.I have a bunch of Tikka magazines and different length bolt stops so could even seat the bullets out further.Just thoughts running through an old rifle loonies mind.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Ruger model 36925, 6.5 PRC,go wild camo, is listed as new on ruger's website
Also listed in the Hawkeye Hunter model with 22" barrel

Last edited by stratton; 12/08/19. Reason: added info
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stratton

Ruger model 36925, 6.5 PRC,go wild camo, is listed as new on ruger's website
Also listed in the Hawkeye Hunter model with 22" barrel

Mebbe one day a lefty.....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i will take 2 of these,,, were are they Ruger American® Rifle with GO WILD® Camo Model Number: 36925 Caliber: 6.5 PRC

StockGO Wild® Camo I-M Brush Synthetic
Stock StyleStandard
MagazineSingle-Stack
SightsNone
Barrel Length24"

Capacity3
Thread Pattern5/8"-24
FinishBronze Cerakote
Weight7.1 lb.
Twist1:8" RH

Overall Length44"
Length of Pull13.75"
Grooves5
Suggested Retail$629.00

Last edited by 300stw; 12/09/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...akote-bolt-action-rifle-65-prc/p/1528870

6.5 lbs. Sure looks like a hunting rifle to me, no boutique price either.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

The PRC has no issues breaking 3000 with a 143 or even a 147, it does not need a long action.

Factory ammo spec is 2.955". That takes a very SPECIAL short action. Feeds best from WSM boxes too.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by PHWILLIE
My son-in-law built one on a remington 700 long action with a McGowan Remage barrel. If I remember correctly he was getting 200-250 fps faster than a 6.5 Creedmoor with the Hornady 143 eld. He shot 2 antelope in Wyoming with it in October and it worked as it should, DRT. My only take from it all was that it kicked more than the Creedmoor and didn't kill any quicker.

In Sportsman's Whorehouse a couple of days ago. Hornady match ammo with the exact same bullet was about 240 fps faster in favor of the PRC. They really down-load the Creed for some reason.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Comparing the Tikka I had in 6.5 CM to my CA 6.5 PRC there is more than 300 FPS difference in factory Hornady ammo. I could barely break 2600 with 147’s in the Tikka and the factory 147’s in the PRC are about 2940. Even with my hottest loads in the CM I was 200 FPS slower than the PRC is with factory ammo.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

The CA Mesa is definitly a hunting rifle as is the Ridgeline.

As well as the savage "high country"

The Browning max long range is also built as a hunting rifle

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the only thing 'tactical' about the Ruger Longrange Hunter is the rail and brake. Both of which un-screw.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Factory ammo spec is 2.955". That takes a very SPECIAL short action. Feeds best from WSM boxes too.

What’s so “special” about a 700 SA with a notched feed ramp, feeding from binderless Accurate mags?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
the only thing 'tactical' about the Ruger Longrange Hunter is the rail and brake. Both of which un-screw.....

Did you get another boutique rifle? To go with the haircut??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the boutique haircut didn't leave enuff cash leftover for a rifle.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wel, not when you go all in and get the manicure too.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am having two of them built right now. Tikka and Remington.

Lefty

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 PRC on the way. Dumped my Creedpuss to make room.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 PRC on the way. Dumped my Creedpuss to make room.

Not very “Loony” of you....😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m building a 6.5 SAUM. I shipped the PRC.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston

I thought I was bad , you guys change rifles like underwear.... expensive underwear... you must have Big Stick income.... smile
He had a pic of a whole box of socks.... impressive

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I thought I was bad , you guys change rifles like underwear.... expensive underwear... you must have Big Stick income.... smile

Nah, they only change their underwear once a year too......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nah, they only change their underwear once a year too......

Well Smoke, that would explain a few things, huh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Man, I hope not!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He had a pic of a whole box of socks.... impressive

And I always lose money in doing so. I am one hell of a bargain finder, but also one hell of a bargain giver.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,464,017
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.