24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fell asleep at the wheel and woke up as the truck began slanting its way down the ditch on the wrong side of the highway. Managed to correct it and get back across without hitting anybody or anything. Probably about 2AM, age 18 or so.

Was unlocking a fence gate when I heard something behind me. I stepped aside just before my truck rolled into the gate and crunched it. It would have pinned me there and suffocated me. I use the parking brake now, even if I think I have it in "Park".

Now with even more aplomb
BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
So many times I can't even count..

This was a run and dive, literally 2-3 seconds before the rocket bounced off a T-wall and wiped out my up-armored vehicle...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And another that wiped out my hooch..

UXO that would have got me..

The list just goes on....

Law enforcement had it's moments as well, Grin.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Hyponatremia (sp?) at a military course. Heart stopped, had to be resuscitated, multiple IVs to replace electrolytes, lengthy CPR to restart. Took a couple days to learn to walk again. Couple car wrecks and near misses. Wrong end of a gun once while teaching a friends gf to shoot, couple others. No wonder I’m jumpy.

Old70

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had a few...like others, too many to count..

But someone mentioned combat vets and how lucky the rest of us are...TRUTH!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Had a few...like others, too many to count..

But someone mentioned combat vets and how lucky the rest of us are...TRUTH!

I think MacKay's post sorta proved that....

I'm lucky I wasn't a combat vet....just a vet... wondered my entire life If I would have made it out of there...

My stepdad is 90 now....typical 90 yr old looking guy...yet in younger days, his 49 months in Vietnam, the kind of missions he flew...
C130 Blackbird missions.. shot down 13 times...countless other times, came home and the 130 they had been in, become something to pull spare parts off of...
junked to never fly again...

i thank the Good Lord for everyone of our vets in harms way who make it home, especially make it home whole....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was very lucky, came back alive with no injuries.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Been a volunteer firefighter since age 16 (at 62, I'm a life member but no longer active). Lots of close calls - ceiling collapses, flash overs, blown out of a window when a propane tank inside a garage blew up. Dragged unconscious out of a burning barn after collapsing from heat stroke. You get the job done, and then afterwards, when you have time to think about it, the shakes set in.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
September 4th 1971, I was bumped off Alaska Airlines milk run from ANC to SEA TAC that augured into Mt Juneau. No survivors.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Laparoscopic surgery for a splenectomy. Clamp failed on the artery and I got a 10" zipper where they opened me up before I bled to death.

Under anesthetic so I coulda died and not even known it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Quite a few. Some happened so fast there was only time to react (e.g., incoming artillery) but the one that really sticks out happened one morning getting to the duck blind. There had been massive storms and extensive flooding in the area but the weather was perfect for ducks, so I was the only idiot out in the rice fields. It was probably 5 am, before sunrise, and I was walking down a check towards my blind when I must have wandered a bit and the next thing I knew I was sinking under water with my waders filling up and about 30 lbs of gear that was slung over my back keeping me from getting my head above water. I finally stuck the butt of my shotgun into the side of the check and pulled myself up. That got the heart going.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Missing the ground by <30’ while doing over 600kts. A near mid-air where I was able to read the side number of another jet at night due to our flashing red anti collision light. 57mm AAA going off right next to me. Those come to mind.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have had a quiet peaceful life. Only drove two VW Beetles in my day.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Driving right before daybreak on a Sunday morning listening to a radio show. Big accident a few cars ahead of me involving an 18 wheeler loaded with bales of hay. I saw everything in extreme slow motion and all went completely silent. I swerved to avoid a spinning car headed towards me and it hit the vehicle behind me. All I could hear was my heart beating hard and fast. As I was drove out of the scene the radio came back on and I could hear sounds again.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Lol , a bunch I guess . Was riding tricycle at whatever age you are riding them , seems all kiddie rides are motorized these days , went behind milk trucks he backed up , lucky protruding bumper knocked me over were he could see me in mirror and stopped , but had already crushed my tricycle. Got my ass tore up for that one .
Dad was drinking one night taking me to drop off my girlfriend , we were approaching a curve , looked over and we were going 105 , looked up to say something to him about the curve and saw he was passed out , grabbed for the wheel , but wasn't much I could do , went up a bank and flipped out into the road , landed on wheels , I guess , at least we were setting upright when I came too . Something was laying on top of me, pushed on it and realized I was under the back seat that had dislodged, raised up to see girlfriend crumpled in front floor board , dad halfway infloorboard , both dead or unconscious , I didn't know. Rear door was stuck , managed to kick it open enough tovet out , shook girlfriend , she came around checked her out , she was able to get out of car . Couldn't get dad to come around , heard sirens , thought about him just recently getting his DL back after being declared a habitual offender . Knew he was in deep dodo , managed somehow to pull him over to passenger side . While they loaded my GF and tended to dad trooper questioned me and I told him I was driving . He didn't buy it bug I stuck with story a d saved ole mans arse . Details are taking too long , anyway , I had a scratch down my back , she had a couple teeth knocked loose a dislocated shoulder , dad had a concussion and broken collar bone . We were lucky my as he'll.
Then there were some hi voltage arch and flashes , near misses from a shot or two , just the kind d of stuff that happens in life.
Like others , been pretty lucky , Kenneth

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I told my wife once that she was gettin' fat. whistle

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dated a few redheads.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A land mine in the road on the way to An Hoa in 1969 ruined my whole day.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Too many to list but a couple that stick out.

We had a Senior skip day in high school a few days before graduation. We met at a friends farm and proceeded to party it up a little. One of the guys got the bright idea to take out this old street bike out of the shed. I think it was like a 450 Yamaha or something similar. We were only wearing shorts and tennis shoes, no helmets. Long story short, we ended up taking turns going up to the highway to see who could get it going the fastest. I got it up to 115 when a side wind caught the bike, lifted it sideways into the air and then somehow came back down on the wheels where it went in to an extremely violent death wobble. Somehow I maintained control and stopped. It must have taken me an hour to stop shaking. One of the dumbest things I have ever done.

Went to the doc to get pain meds for what I thought was a bad sciatic nerve that I had been fighting with. Ended up being a blood clot in my right leg that ran from my groin to my ankle. To be safe, they did a scan of my lungs and found I had two big clots in my lungs as well. Spent 5 days in the hospital and another two years on Warfarin. Doc's have no idea what caused them.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Tipped a canoe over up in NE Manitoba on a moose hunt. Just about freezing weather, that was a long paddle back to camp.

Someone removed my lock out- tag out and energized a circuit I was working on. That lit me up! Spent 4 days in the hospital. Thankfully, tests showed only skeletal muscles got burned. Never did find out who removed my lock out- tag out.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I got hit by a car once, i really thought that was it, my body was out back together and i am still here.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
476 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.