Print Thread
Hop To
A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Anybody using this scope as a hunting scope? How is the reticle in hunting conditions?

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The reticle is not terrible. If you dial the zoom to 4-6x the reticle actually works quite well in the dark timber. I’d prefer it not have the large knobs, but it’s not a deal breaker to me. All in all, I think it’s a rather good. Heavier than I’d prefer.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is my second season using one, I think it’s perfect. However, I don’t hunt in a dense forest where you might lose the reticle in the morning or evening. Others will be along to comment on that, hopefully some of them will actually have experience with the scope...😉

Last edited by timl; 12/01/19.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great scopes.Rock solid dependability. The mil quad is great for holding wind. For a big game hunting scope with the option of dialing, it is great.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've only shot coyotes and targets w/ the one mounted recently and it is great for that. I did, however carry it almost daily on a 30 day excursion in Wyoming and had plenty of opportunities to range and scope everything from goats to moose. It performed perfectly in a full range of light and weather conditions. I now carry it set on 6x w/ a 100 yard zero and find it near perfect for my uses. When I did shoot coyotes it held zero perfectly and was right on whether dialed or using the reticle for holdovers. Despite a lot of travel and not being handled gently it maintained zero. I am very happy w/ it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I am not sure, but think Bushnell has a variable mil-mil at a decent price. There is a 5-20x50 HD SS over on 6br for sale. I know the hd is not in your price range but they are a heck of a scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put one on a Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5 Creed that I put together for the grandkids. I consider this set up mainly for hunting here in Alaska and for lung shots out to 300 yards on moose, caribou and black bear. I usually leave it on 6x and like it. We have moose passing through our place on a regular basis. It is plenty good for picking up critters in low light at distances critters should be shot at in low light.

At 9x a good shot should be able to go past 600 yards, but we never shoot that far. I think it is a lot of scope for the money and I finally learned that a scopes reliability is more important to me that the best high end glass.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
+1. Reliability is priority 1.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I ordered one on Friday when they were $450 instead of $600. I don't plan on putting it on my go-to hunting rifle, but on my Tikka CTR. For now the Tikka is a range rifle, but I could hunt with it. I'll play with it at the range for a few months and if I feel comfortable enough may use it next fall. I currently have a fixed 6X on the Tikka. I wanted more X's for longer shots at the range but felt the fixed 10X was not versatile enough.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Aviator
Anybody using this scope as a hunting scope? How is the reticle in hunting conditions?

Have one on a box stand shooting lane rifle. I like it a lot.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JMR40
I ordered one on Friday when they were $450 instead of $600. I don't plan on putting it on my go-to hunting rifle, but on my Tikka CTR. For now the Tikka is a range rifle, but I could hunt with it. I'll play with it at the range for a few months and if I feel comfortable enough may use it next fall. I currently have a fixed 6X on the Tikka. I wanted more X's for longer shots at the range but felt the fixed 10X was not versatile enough.

You would be amazed at how versatile the 10x is. I have several of them and they work great on close shots and at fading light and also range work. You never have to wonder what the best power is, when you use fixed scopes.

I just bought another one, as $199.95 was too good to pass up!

Last edited by sbhooper; 12/03/19.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Any one here ever tried a 3-9 on a long action Win M70?

Most scopes with 3.5" of eye relief usually result in a little stock crawling when I turn the magnification up. SWFA lists the ER @ 3.03" on the upper end. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the purchase but I am a little worried the eye relief may be an issue for me. I'm going to see if it works regardless, just wanted to know if anyone here had experience with this combo.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by JMR40

You would be amazed at how versatile the 10x is. I have several of them and they work great on close shots and at fading light and also range work. You never have to wonder what the best power is, when you use fixed scopes.

I just bought another one, as $199.95 was too good to pass up!

I have a 10X on my .243 Ackley and it works great for longer distance hunting. I find the reticle to be a bit too faint/fine for my tastes, though that's not a deal breaker.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one on a 243Win which I have shot plenty it at the range, but never had the chance on an animal. Tracks excellent and low light ability on the reticle was a concern.
There is definite tunneling until about 4x, but 4x onwards is excellent.
I had it out hunting this Saturday, in the "piney woods" region of Texas, northeast of Houston. Tight tall timber, unable to stalk on an animal really, and dark.
Official Sunrise was 7:01:03 am and twilight 6:35:01 am
I was able to see enough through the scope before 629am, so that is 32min prior to shooting time, in timber... I wouldn't have been able to use the reticle marks at shooting time, but wouldn't have needed to, as longest shot offered was along a 200yd long logged area.
Clarity-wise by 7am even at 6x I would have been able to use reticle holdovers and windage if needed.

I was on the fence to get another one for the 7mm Rem Mag (which has a Conquest 3-9x40mm) and I ordered it on Sunday. Will play with it at the range and see if I prefer the Zeiss or SS3-9. They are very close to clarity and optical performance to my eyes, and I don't dial muich (yet).

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

Most scopes with 3.5" of eye relief usually result in a little stock crawling when I turn the magnification up. SWFA lists the ER @ 3.03" on the upper end. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the purchase but I am a little worried the eye relief may be an issue for me. I'm going to see if it works regardless, just wanted to know if anyone here had experience with this combo.

I don't have one on a M70, but I do have one on a Savage Weather Warior in 30 06. It is long action, and I have had no issues at all. But I tend to stay back a bit on all my scopess, so I never have a problem. Still, unless you have a habit of crawling right up on your scope, you should be just fine.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use quite a few of them. Probably one of my favorites to be honest.. Great eye relief, great dials, good glass. Checks alot of boxes for me.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’m a big fan of them too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 3-9 is my favorite hunting scope.

My eyes see a big difference between them and the fixed power SWFAs in low light.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love the SS 3-9 I have one on a 223AI and the other on a 300 Win Mag. Can't go wrong there.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

I don't have one on a M70, but I do have one on a Savage Weather Warior in 30 06. It is long action, and I have had no issues at all. But I tend to stay back a bit on all my scopess, so I never have a problem. Still, unless you have a habit of crawling right up on your scope, you should be just fine.

My 3-9x42 showed up today. I threw it on my M70 with some Talley LW lows I had on hand. Set up is perfect. No issues with eye relief. Looking forward to some range time now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.