Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Anyone had any experience with the antique pistol laws in Canada? My son just bought one ( 455 Webley) apparently they are completely legal to carry anywhere. My son bought his to carry on the trapline; it shoots very well.

There is a company here in Canada that sells quite a few of them to guys who want to carry them in the woods and not go through all the paperwork required for modern guns. Just wondering if anyone has ever been checked or had any interaction with COs or RCMP on the issue?? Im assuming most of them wouldn't know the laws??

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yukon254;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this Remembrance Day finds you and yours well.

While I have absolutely nothing of value in the way of actual information on this class of firearm, I will offer a song by a favorite singer/songwriter of ours.

Based upon my interactions with both the provincial CO's and other LEO folks of various agencies, I would likely be inclined to have a copy of the letter accompanying said firearm with me anytime I'd have it out and about.

As well, just to keep everyone relaxed during any interactions, I'd be further disposed to transport it in a locked box, with a trigger lock on it, the same as if it was a restricted class.

Hopefully someone in Ottawa doesn't become aware of this class of antiques as they'll like as not need to ban them for our combined good sooner than later. The same of course applies to flintlock pistols......

Anyway sir, sorry I couldn't be more use in the discussion. Good luck to your son with it and all the best to you folks as we head into winter.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Dwayne;

I think you are probably right about keeping a copy of the firearms laws handy anytime the gun is taken out. The fellow that restores and sells them, does so online where he also has the pertinent sections of the firearms laws posted. I would be afraid that a prosecutor could twist them to his advantage though. Apparently quite a few bush rats are taking advantage of the antique laws though. I was surprised at how well my sons gun shoots.

We are indeed heading into winter! -30 here at the house this morning. I need ice out on the trapline where Im headed soon, so Im good with it! Hope all is well with you and yours.

Dave

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My understanding of the law is that it is legal to buy an antique without a PAL(R) because ammunition is ostensibly unavailable for it. Some guys make some, some antique ammo survives, at inflated prices.

However, there is nothing in the law that permits you to carry an antique handgun, with ammo or not. If you are caught with one out in public you will be treated the same as if carrying a regular handgun.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I suggest you get information from a reputable source. You can phone or email them

https://cssa-cila.org/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
My understanding of the law is that it is legal to buy an antique without a PAL(R) because ammunition is ostensibly unavailable for it. Some guys make some, some antique ammo survives, at inflated prices.

However, there is nothing in the law that permits you to carry an antique handgun, with ammo or not. If you are caught with one out in public you will be treated the same as if carrying a regular handgun.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

Actually ammunition is quite easy to get if you reload. My son just got his pistol last week and hes already shooting it. The law does indeed allow you to carry antiques. That wasn't my question. I just wondered if anyone had ever been checked. I would advise you to read the firearms laws a bit closer.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I posted the link to the RCMP page on antique pistols, particularly this section:

"Under the Firearms Act and corresponding regulations, antique firearms must be stored, displayed and transported unloaded.

If an individual is transporting antique firearms by vehicle and needs to leave them unattended*, they should be left in the vehicle’s locked trunk or similar compartment. If the vehicle does not have a trunk or compartment, the vehicle must be locked with the antique firearms inside and out of sight.

Antique handguns must be transported in a locked, non-transparent container that cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation."

FYI "transported" does not mean the same thing as "carried".

Please post a link to the firearms laws you are referencing that specifically state that you are permitted to carry an antique pistol on your person, loaded or not.

AFA the availability of antique ammunition, I was posting the rationale for the gov't creating an "antique" category in the first place. There is also a way to reload rimfire ammo if you have the time, patience and can develop a similar brass casing.

Last edited by Wannabebwana; 11/13/19.
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
1. Firearms Act: None of the provisions of the Firearms Act, including those requiring registration, licences, ATTs and/or ATCs, apply to any “antique firearm.”
2. CC s. 91 and 92: Possession of any “antique firearm” without a licence or registration certificate is legal.
3. CC s. 93: Possession of any “antique firearm” at any location is legal.

4. CC s. 94: Being in a motor vehicle with any “antique firearm” is legal.
5. CC s. 95: Being in possession of a loaded “antique firearm” (which is also a “restricted firearm” or a “prohibited firearm”), or one with readily accessible ammunition is legal even if the person is not the holder of any licence, registration certificate, ATT, or ATC.
6. CC s. 99: Transferring or offering to transfer any “antique firearm” is legal.
7. CC s. 100: Dealing in any type of any “antique firearm” is legal.
8. CC s. 101: Transferring any “antique firearm” is legal if the transfer apparently violates the Firearms Act.
9. CC s. 103 and 104: Importing or exporting any “antique firearm” is legal.
10. CC s. 105: Not reporting the loss or finding of any “antique firearm” is legal.
11. CC s. 106 and 107: Not reporting the destruction of any “antique firearm” is legal, and knowingly making a false report of that type to a firearms official or the police is legal.
12. CC s. 117.03: A peace officer who finds a person in possession of any “antique firearm” is not authorized to demand that the person present a licence, registration certificate, ATT, and/or ATC.

93 and 95......Lots more if you wish to look into it a bit more, and I suggest you do. I think you would be surprised at some of the calibers that are considered 'antique'.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not trying to be argumentative, but you're quoting information published on a non-official website: https://nfa.ca/2005/02/25/antique-and-blackpowder-firearms/ which also states this:

"On the other hand, an “antique firearm” is still a “firearm” for the purposes of all sections of the Criminal Code other than those listed above. For example, an “antique firearm” is a “firearm” for the purposes of CC s. 85 (using while committing an offence), 86 (storage and transportation rules — but the rules for “antique firearms” are very mild), 87 (points a firearm at another person), 88 (possession for a purpose dangerous to the public peace), 89 (possession at or on the way to a public meeting, and 90 (carrying a weapon [see CC s. 2 “weapon” and “firearm”] concealed)."

The two highlighted items are what would most concern me because it would be simple for the police to manufacture a charge against you. If you carry it concealed, you're jacked. If you carry it open, you're dangerous to the public peace.

I'd much rather see something from the gov't - and preferably case law, before I relied on this to carry a loaded antique firearm.

Don't get me wrong, I saw one at a gun show a couple of weeks ago that I'd love to own. I just don't believe that the anti-gun gov't that enacted the Firearms Act left that big a hole in it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Criminal Code 86 (1)— Carless use of a firearm
I know lots of people charged with this one and no one beats it.
If charged with this one best case scenario is a year without PAL guns stored with someone else who has a PAL. Then you have to take the safety course and apply for PAL all over again

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Criminal Code 86 (1)— Carless use of a firearm
I know lots of people charged with this one and no one beats it.
If charged with this one best case scenario is a year without PAL guns stored with someone else who has a PAL. Then you have to take the safety course and apply for PAL all over again

I know two fellows who beat careless use charges. Both shot predators in residential areas, and were charged by RCMP. They even charged one of the guys with unsafe storage and he beat that charge too
Funny thing was in both cases conservation officers went to court in defence of the accused. . One of these cases took 3-years to resolve and the final day in court was something to see. The judge threw out all charges and told the prosecutor off in no uncertain terms.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Or you could call the Chief Firearms Officer for your province or territory.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Or you could call the Chief Firearms Officer for your province or territory.

My son did that today. He was told its perfectly legal to have and shoot an antique pistol anywhere its legal to have and shoot any other firearm. The CFO is supposed to send him a letter saying as much. We will see if he actually does.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Damn feel guilty carrying a AR15 pistol in my truck.. while you all try to figure out if you can legally carry a 6 shot webley revolver.

Last edited by 79S; 11/15/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 79S
Damn feel guilty carrying a AR15 pistol in my truck.. while you all try to figure out if you can legally carry a 6 shot webley revolver.

I hear ya ! Just to show you how stupid our lawmakers and laws really are consider this- That AR of yours is considered 'prohibited' here. That means I can own one, but the only place I can take it or use it is to an approved gun range. Here's the kicker, we can buy and use AK variants, SKs, and a bunch of other semi autos and they are NOT prohibited!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I left Canada in 1950 at 6 months of age. Boy, am I glad.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Luck guy!!! If I was younger I'd be long gone!!! Great Country ran by a bunch of. AZZZZZ HOLEZZZZZZZZZ. Bill out 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Appreciate if you could post a copy of that letter (redacted, of course).

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Any sign of the letter yet?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.