24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess the question is what short actions does the 6.5 prc fit? my Savages have a 3' mag box but I cannot get a magnum bolt head for the short action.

Montana Rifle co. has a 3"+ mag box. Not sure on the Ruger? I believe Winchester SA has a 3" magbox

I am not familiar with the AI magbox, is that factory? does it fit a Rem SA if so do you have to machine the action?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Savage does make rifles in the PRC.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did a little research and it looks like Bergara, Seekins, Browning, Ruger, Christensen, GA, Fierce and Proof chamber for the 6.5 PRS, non seem to be hunting rifles, all appear to be tactical rifles.
And most seem to be semi-custom boutique rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by irfubar
I guess the question is what short actions does the 6.5 prc fit? my Savages have a 3' mag box but I cannot get a magnum bolt head for the short action.

Montana Rifle co. has a 3"+ mag box. Not sure on the Ruger? I believe Winchester SA has a 3" magbox

I am not familiar with the AI magbox, is that factory? does it fit a Rem SA if so do you have to machine the action?

It does fit R700 SA's with the proper DBM, and there is no altering of the action itself.

For those that don't like a mag that goes down to the level of the trigger guard, Curtis Customs manufactures a high quality detachable mag that is flush with the stock.

Only my opinion, but I won't hunt with a rifle without a DBM system. They have been 100% reliable for cycling. Never had a snafu with them....and never had one fall out.

Just talked to George Gardner(who helped with the development of the PRC), he said at this time the 6.5 PRC is # 4 in factory ammo leaving the plant, #1 is the 6.5 Creedmoor, then the 6MM Creedmoor, then .308, with the 6.5 PRC at #4.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

My Savages are the M10 center feed and magnum bolt heads are not available. They make an oddball controlled round feed for the WSM rounds but that bolt head will not fit the standard Savage 10

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Did a little research and it looks like Bergara, Seekins, Browning, Ruger, Christensen, GA, Fierce and Proof chamber for the 6.5 PRS, non seem to be hunting rifles, all appear to be tactical rifles.
And most seem to be semi-custom boutique rifles.

Howa , Savage , Ruger , Sauer , Bergera , and others all making hunting weight rifles

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

My Savages are the M10 center feed and magnum bolt heads are not available. They make an oddball controlled round feed for the WSM rounds but that bolt head will not fit the standard Savage 10

well , I guess you will just have to buy a brand new Savage , if thats what you want in PRC

https://www.internationalsportsman.com/savage-arms-6-5-prc-rifles/

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 12/02/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info Pat.

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to have a short action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

well , I guess you will just have to buy a brand new Savage , if thats what you want in PRC

I refuse to buy a new Savage, overpriced and butt ugly, no thanks the old ones are ugly enough... wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wonder why Remington hasn't jumped on the prc train?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder why Remington hasn't jumped on the prc train?

Hell Jud , look how long it took them to jump on the 6.5 Creedmoor, them boys ain't to bright

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
irfubar, thanks for posting the additional info and pics! Helps me in my gathering info for my next build.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45
irfubar, thanks for posting the additional info and pics! Helps me in my gathering info for my next build.

You're welcome, I just noticed I made a typo, the loaded round is 3.395" oal

Last edited by irfubar; 12/02/19.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

FWIW, I'm driving 139 scenars at 3080fps without pushing pressure. Some of my cases have 10 firings on them.

This is what has me scratching my head about case life with my 6.5-06 AI. If I load 140 Bergers at 3050, after three firings the primer pockets are getting loose. And that's with H-1000, two different kinds of brass.

Yet the 6.5 SAUM and PRC don't seem to have that problem. Stouter case heads on those two perhaps??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Probably.

Will note that I "built" my rifle on a 700 short-magnum rifle, already barreled with a #4 Lilja in 9.3 Barsness-Sisk, the one and only wildcat I will ever "develop." It has a Bansner High-Tech stock, and always shot very well.

This was for a short-deadline article on handloading the 6.5 PRC for the Hodgdon Annual Manual, and while a 6.5 PRC was definitely in my plans, I needed one for the deadline. Luckily, Lilja had one #4 contour 6.5 1-8 barrel in stock, so I bought it, and a Pacific Tool & Gauge reamer for Charlie.

I considered installing a Wyatt's box, but time was short so decided to see what might work in the "short" Remington magazine. Plus, I could test all the loads by single-loading anyway. Turned out the rifle shot most accurately with loads with a COAL length that fit in the standard Remington magazine, around 2.85". That may change with more shooting and "chasing" the lands, but so far it keeps shooting little-bitty groups with several bullets seated to 2.85". It's probably my latest favorite "modern" big game rifle, but then I'm one of those notoriously fickle rifle loonies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

FWIW, I'm driving 139 scenars at 3080fps without pushing pressure. Some of my cases have 10 firings on them.

This is what has me scratching my head about case life with my 6.5-06 AI. If I load 140 Bergers at 3050, after three firings the primer pockets are getting loose. And that's with H-1000, two different kinds of brass.

Yet the 6.5 SAUM and PRC don't seem to have that problem. Stouter case heads on those two perhaps??

My 6.5-284 with 26” Krieger (ballistic twin to the 6.5-06) pushes 140 VLD’s at 3K with 48.8 gr RL-17. No signs of pressure. Lapua brass with tight primer pockets. Easy extraction of fired cases. Nice shooting round.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/02/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Whoever is saying the case capacity is like the .264 is mistaken. It's just about exactly the same as the 6.5-06. I know due to having a 6.5 PRC built last year, and comparing its water capacity with several other 6.5 cases.

John, can you share who you used to build your 6.5 PRC (local or shipped out)? I am considering rebarreling a Kimber 325 WSM and am trying to decide who I should use.

Thanks,
Jerry

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

I used Charlie Sisk, who a few years ago moved from the Houston area back to his native Kentucky.

Charlie built the original rifle as a 9.3 Barsness-Sisk back in 2005, using a #4 contour Lilja stainless barrel, so all he had to do for this project was fit another #4 Lilja 6.5 barrel.

His website is off-line at the moment, apparently getting rebuilt, but he also has a Facebook page--and still visits the Campfire from time to time (he recently even posted on this forum). You can e-mail him at charliesiskguns.com.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by westernsloper
I am wondering how things are looking for it these days now that more time has passed since it’s introduction.
Does it seem to be taking off, or is it still too soon to tell?.

I think it's dead in the water.....

I'm thinking like a Ford /Mercury comparison. The Mercury was a bit bigger and nicer, but not enough to matter. Now, they don't make Mercury anymore because they are dead in the water.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.