Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
My Rem 11-87 had its first hick up in 15 yrs. Fired around and the bolt stuck open, would not release at all , removed action , and completely cleaned, no visible issue, cycled the action , open hit release sveral times, I got it?? nope when I then fired it and pulled the bolt open would not release manuely, took backapart, Im not schooled enough to see what internal part actualy holds the bolt open, see no wear or, bent , spring seem fine ,,,, sooo any help, Bob

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't help but there are some sharp semi-auto men on here who will be along soon!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the buffer still in there?

If not could the action be coming back too far and essentially hanging it open?

Just a couple of thoughts but I am not semi auto mechanic either.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the action closed, insert one shell in the magazine, pull the bolt back to chamber the round,
does the bolt stick then, or just on an empty gun?

With the trigger group removed, does the bolt slide back and forth freely?

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
We finally got it, local gunsmith and I took it apart and put it together more than once , not an obvious issue ,to us at least..Pulled back freely cycle shells fine manually,,,,but when fired stay stuck open,A lot of HMMMM.Long story, somehow the super small snap ring that hols the arm that keeps your round in Mag, was missing, with the arm firm against the side of reciever ,great but when fired ,there was enough tok sideways the small wire tension spring on back of arm assembly would slip out away from side of reciever, without the small snap ring and catch on the trigger group, not allowing bolt to go forward, only solved as we were checking , like 1187 20 ga to checkfiring pin, dropped the asembly out and then noticed the small snap ring on that gun, the light came on, long time gunsmith, but never caught it, some would have I suppose, shotguns not his thing, how that ring could come off is a guess, ones on order, so rare probably never need this info. Thanks All

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good information.........another reason tohave two of every gun LoL.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Spoke too soon, didnt totaly solve it, were at at loss , might might not cycle next round, so off to a gunsmith that supposed to know
. remingtons

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was actually wondering if it was really solved... That snap ring has bupkis to do with locking open... First thing I would check is that little tab on the upper surface of the bolt release button that interacts with the latch trip.. If off a bit (angle) it can do what you describe.. Could be a few other things: bent pin on the latch pivot.. The need to remove a couple .000s where the carrier release tab locks into place..

In any case, IMHO the problem is in that area - between the release button and the carrier latch system..

Last edited by Redneck; 12/16/19.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I bought one cheap, guy (not a reg at LGS) came in and sold it.
Figured out why.

New trigger group, buffer (it came with) and it was a single shot.
Yup, interrupter latch snap ring gone.
Think I paid 8 bucks to get the part.

Ran great after, Top gun at F&W area more than once in dove field.
A little too light so dumped it.

Eh I have an 1100 SP w a steel shot bbl.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd swap trigger groups w a known good one and see what it does.

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Redneck and Hookeye, bothe senarios, were considered and we let another smith look at it right now,, Redneck, with the snapring gone it was allowing the arm to tip out and catch the receiver coming forward, myself I thought about the latch trip set up but didnt know just how it could be off sooooo. we'll see if the new guy knows his stuff, Thanks, also I seen another1187 on his rack and suggested the trigger group swap, it was next , didnt get there, again Thanks

Last edited by LeftyBob; 12/19/19.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
First thing I would check is that little tab on the upper surface of the bolt release button that interacts with the latch trip.. If off a bit (angle) it can do what you describe..

In any case, IMHO the problem is in that area - between the release button and the carrier latch system..

I had the same issue. The tab on the bolt release button was not playing nice with its interacting piece. Was looking to replace it anyway with a longer release button. Took three hands to get it back in but, problem solved.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
108 members (01Foreman400, 338reddog, 32_20fan, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,406 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.