The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Shame you did not find him. Sounds like you put in a heck of an effort though thanks to your year round training. ( A good reminder again how important it is) Tough losing animals. I still remember a really nice whitetail buck I wounded with an arrow I never recovered over 30 years ago in Kansas.

Anyway, Hopefully hit was non lethal and sounds maybe hit a bit too far forward or high which is good for survivals a hit too far back . As you know elk are really tough animals. I think it is a good policy to share info like this on here. Good reminder to really concentrate when shooting and not give up when tracking.

You would think you would see crows, ravens in the area if he was down after a few days if was a lethal hit.

thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by mtwarden
Well bad news on the elk hunting front; yesterday left the house before 4, I hiked up to a high meadow where I was seeing some activity and made it to the very end of the meadow with about 15 minutes before shooting light

Just at shooting light I saw an elk walking and then a couple of more, one was a bull for sure (but you can kill a cow or bull here and I'm not picky); got down on my knee, rifle ready- about 8 cows/calves jogged through the opening (most of been a little updraft- had they stopped I would have drilled a cow), a lone bull was behind them about 75 yards or so, I willed him to stop and he did- roughly 250 yds, put the cross hairs on the center of the elk just behind the shoulder an touched the trigger. I could hear the bullet hit and he jumped a bit too; he was out of sight quickly due to a small rise, so no opportunity for a follow up shot.

I was elated and expected to see him piled up as I walked over the rise, he wasn't, but was convinced he wasn't far. I found his tracks but no blood- wtf? Followed them about 200 yds and then saw a few pin pricks of blood, not good. He started downhill and broke off from the cows. I gave him 20-25 minutes to settle down and started slowly tracking, a little blood here and there, but not much. He was angling downhill through some really thick stuff, I just kept a turtle's pace- stopping often to look/listen. Blood was very sporadic, but I had good tracking snow and was confident I'd get another shot at him. This continued for a mile or so; every so often there would be a bigger spot of blood, but he never bedded.

He stopped descending and starting side-hilling and then eventually started angling uphill. I figured he might want to get back with the cows. We hit a little creek, but didn't cross, turned parallel to the creek and headed up. At this juncture there was about a 100 yds of no blood whatsoever. I thought maybe he bumped me into another bull and I was possibly following the wrong one. I backtracked until a found a spot blood and then made sure there wasn't another bull that had broken off. At this point it started snowing, hard- straight down, no wind, more like a downpour. Tracks started to quickly fill in with snow. I was carefully brushing snow out looking for blood, but never saw another drop. There were now tracks going every which way and they all looked the same. I followed a couple of different sets, came back to the same spot and followed another set. The snow wasn't letting up and now there was no telling a fresh track from one two weeks old.

I made a pretty big circle in the general direction he was headed and then a couple of big figure 8's, hoping (just hope at that point) I'd bump him, but no such luck. There was a trail above me and I decided to walk it out a mile or so and then back to see if if anything had crossed. No luck and still the snow came down hard. I made a bigger circle yet, but was starting to run out of light and started the long haul back to my truck. I wept, not for me, but for the bull. It was one of the longest 3 mile walks of my life.

I was out early again this morning, hoping beyond hope that maybe he would be back in the meadow again. It had snowed more that night and appeared no elk had used the meadow, but was really impossible to say with certainty due to the snow. I went back to the last spot I knew he had been. Again I made a couple of loops, each bigger. I knew in my heart it was a lost cause.

I pray he ends up like other deer and elk that I've harvested, discovering an arrow or bullet from some time past.

I took this week off to hunt, but my tag is in now the trash.

I'll continue to pray for that elk.

Sorry for the long winded post, but felt like I had to get this off my chest- thanks.

Last edited by ribka; 11/29/19.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks- much appreciated

I'll probably go back after hunting season wraps up (this Sunday) just to look around, if he's down and dead somewhere- as you say, should be a lot of bird activity

there's always the possibility that another hunter harvests him too, that would certainly be a positive outcome

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4 miles on snowy trails with my wife and Tiny Elvis

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Warden, you sure do put in a lot of hard work. I have got to find an exercise program that will work with
my physical limitations. Keep up the good work

PS That has got to be a pretty healthy dog also.
Great pictures as always. Thanks for posting them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ thank you Sir smile might be worth seeking out a qualified trainer to at least get started?

nice having a day off

high volume

for time

10 rounds squats/bench @75% of 1RM/pullups 10/9/8/7/6.......2/1 reps @ 75% of 1RM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Walked 1.7 miles with a brutal 31 ft of elevation. smile

I was able to keep my correct walking form together for a mile this time; progress!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
progress is good smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
5 miles on snowshoes w/ Tiny Elvis; amazingly he wanted to break trail the majority of it- tough bugger!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4 miles on snowy (but somewhat packed) trails w/ Tiny Elvis

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, today Maverick and I had company! Two nice folks accompanied us while we hiked 4 miles, gaining a bit over 1,000' and enjoyed our first snowshoe hike of the season! We weren't far from town, and not much higher, but there was at least a foot of snow, and it was a really nice hike. A few photos from today:

My old buddy Fred, Vietnam Veteran, US Army. Great guy. Snowshoe & bicycle fanatic:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Looking out over the valley:

Maverick, chillin' on the trail:

Scenery shot. Sometimes we go another four miles over that direction, to the west, but not today:

Some ol' Jarhead and his dog:

Regards, Guy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice! smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4 miles on snow packed trails for Tiny E and I; headlamp mandatory

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love the pics ^^!

It's starting to feel good to push off /put power through my left foot so I'm pretty happy, and just trying to get through this phase w/o setbacks. I think I'm entering the phase where it's more about pain tolerance- I got that, so that'd be awesome. smile Up till now whatever biofeedback loop controls this [bleep] was just shutting it down. Progress!!

Boat day yesterday, got our limit of 36 Dungeness. This is about 1/2 of them. Not much exercise involved because we had an enthusiastic newcomer pulling pots. So I just drove the boat. smile the crab ate perfect; hard as a rock and full of succulent sweet meat. Dayum.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ that's a haul! what time is supper? smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you get over this way I will FEAST you and Mrs. mtwarden on seafood! smile

Walked 2 miles, 31' elevation (that cracks me up, sorry).... Was able to hold good form for about 1.5 of it and when I couldn't anymore the limp was subtle. Gettin' there.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ deal smile

this morning

high volume day

for time

10 rounds deadlifts & overhead press @75% of 1RM/ 10/9/8/7/6.......2/1 reps @ 75% of 1RM, chin-ups 10/9/8/7/6.......2/1

this afternoon 7 miles of snowshoeing with Tiny Elvis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Walked 1.8 miles today, same route (meaning, flat)... might be overdoing it to walk every day, it was sore all day today and walking the 1.8 was no fun a'tall.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
well I was going to pick a loop today that didn't entail snowshoes, then discovered I'm missing a single glove out of my jacket pocket, soooooo... we did the same 7 mile loop today (on snowshoes!) AND I didn't find that damn glove!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
5 miles on snow packed trails with my wife and Tiny E

Page 83 of 87 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 86 87

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.