Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

I spoke to the CZ girl at our recent Shot Show and she admitted that the rumour is true. However, she claimed that they are doing this because the tooling for those rifles was very old and needed to be scrapped; but that big-bore production would resume when a new action is got up.

Maybe the 550 mag is going the way of the 550 standard with a push feed replacement. Have to wait and see.

Then I read more:
The production of CZ 550's with new tooling may already be under way ...snip ...

Fit and finish on both rifles is much better than any of the older CZ 550's I have had; these are really nice, good looking, well made rifles

I think, not time to panic. Although anyone that did not have at least one, might want to shop around. Not panic - shop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll bet they hadn't heard of what happened to Winchester in 1965. whistle whistle whistle

Maybe they have some improvements to their present 550 action? The 550s I had in magnum and standard calibers were very accurate but worked better as clubs. I hated the stocks.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds like maybe I better hang on to my 550 Lux 9.3x62 (been considering selling it).

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Anything related to African hunting...big bore magazine rifles, double rifles, etc....is waning quickly.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad I have my 550 Safari Magnum 458 humpback.
My favorite rifle.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I got a 375 and 458 so kinda happy that this might bring the value up. Wouldn't be the first rifles in my battery that I would consider selling off though, especially the 458 - nice stock on that one plus the versatility in loads from subsonic to full house.

And they hold 6 rounds + 1 up the spout - gotta be happy with that.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 550 AmSaf in .375H&H is my favorite sporting rifle. I love it and it loves me back with small groups on paper and tasty meat.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a 458 Lott with the synthetic stock. I think the synthetic stock turns it into much less of a club. It is still a large action, no doubt.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by luv2safari
I'll bet they hadn't heard of what happened to Winchester in 1965. whistle whistle whistle

Maybe they have some improvements to their present 550 action? The 550s I had in magnum and standard calibers were very accurate but worked better as clubs. I hated the stocks.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JGray
Sounds like maybe I better hang on to my 550 Lux 9.3x62 (been considering selling it).

The 550 standard length took anything from 243,308 upto 30-06. That was discontinued. I have a 550 with mannlicher style in 6.5x55. CZ calls it a full stock and seems to have beaten the stigma of old and sold quite a few. It is nicly finish with great walnut but heavy. The magnum length 550 action holds round like 416 rigby and 505 gibbs and the relativity small 375HH. Brno assigned different model numbers like 600,601 and 602 to these actions, But; CZ, in their infinite wisdom, calls them both 550. The smaller 550 that was chambered in 9.3x62 is discontinued and replaced with the 557 push feed. (just like 1965, with less uproar)

If you want a light weight hunting rifle in a standard caliber, I suggest Kimber or Sako. Neither the 550 std or the new 557 are light enough for calibers offered. The 550 magnum is IMHO perfect for the big bore rounds. It is heavy for a 375 unless they did a kevlar option and cut the barrel back a tad. I have 458 and weight is appreciated and again IMHO, appropriate for that caliber. As faf as I can determine CZ is still making the big gun. That gun, the big 550, which will hold 416 and 505 is unique and would be missed.

I always though the 550 std action in 9.3 would make a nice combination. CZ went and discontinued that entire line up. That is ok, I am sure I can spend my money elsewhere.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Biebs
Anything related to African hunting...big bore magazine rifles, double rifles, etc....is waning quickly.

how come?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Jorge, a couple reasons. The people who grew up watching Tarzan and reading Ruark and Capstick are getting on in age, and those that are replacing us don't seem to have the same interest in Africa, or even hunting for that matter. Then there are the constant issues of terrorist threats, internal warfare, ebola, restrictive importing of trophies, rising costs, firearms restrictions, government "greening", etc. I'm glad I got to go, and as often as I did, but I don't think the opportunities will last that must longer.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Popularity may or may not be on the decline. I am retired, so: I fit the Tarzan demographic. I see that. I did read books. Not more than todays generation surfs the web. Books cost money, the web is free. That matters when you are 16yrs old. Tarzan or not, I am fascinated with big guns. During my early years, choices for big bore rifles were a limited: 375 or 458 and bad taste and borderline idiotic Weatherby options. When CZ reintroduced the 602 magnum, I stocked up big time. I doubt I am alone. Cabelas and many LGS had them stocked and restocked. Now, that initial void or demand has been filled and sales have leveled off. I read about the 416 and 505. I never though those would fit into my discretionary budget. I still see used 505 custom rifles from the bad-old-days at 20k! Mine was 3k. Some brag about better deals, For ~3k anyone can have one today. The 458Lott and 416 Rigby can still be found around 1k (or whatever). They were less, now a bit higher. You wont get any of those from Winchester. I bet there was a 5-10 year period where CZ could not supply the pent up demand. Now it is at a normal level, given all the associated costs. I have no interest in this business. I got mine. I think I could sell them all for what I got into them. I cannot say that about many other firearms.

Lets move on to doubles. If they were ever available new at anything close to current prices (adjusted to real dollars). I was not aware. Not talking H&H/British, but French or Italian options (maybe German). Over my budget, but; they sell and you are not paying the cost of a nicer suburban home to get a solid, classic, sxs double. There are a lot of companies in business for this to be a dying hobby. Maybe a few too many companies. A lot more than the zero, I recall from the bad old days.

Yes, hobby. I never been to Africa. I am certain the majority of 458 win mags sold in the USA never been out side of North America. History, romance or pure fun, IMHO only a small percentage leave the continent. My gut tells me, big bore rifles are more popular than ever. It has always been a nitch market. And, Look at all the 40 caliber options. That was a big goose egg back in the day. Talking fingers and toes!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Biebs: Do you think the waning of interest in Africa will reduce the cost of a hunting trip? The recession of 2006 certainly did but prices rebounded as quickly as the economy.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I snapped up 3 of the 550s in .308. Glad i did...last rifles i will ever buy....sold all my other guns. Love me some cz 550.

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
SIGH, thanks, Biebs. I hope to get back there at least one more time...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will be interesting to see. Other than some extra metal, I find my 550 about perfect. Small groups and nothing but good things to say. I can't imagine why all rifles don't come with set triggers, IMO the best factory trigger.

Last edited by RichardAustin; 12/08/19.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 76 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.