Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can remember long decades ago asking exactly that question to the man who taught the Colt Revolver Armory Course. I'll tell you a little of what I learned...

Colt's DA action as seen in the DA revolvers from the New Service on are the perfected combination of the two most common DA systems used in Germany. The Python is the culmination of everything Colt has learned about making revolvers.

The V spring was a great simplification of the DA revolver action because it did away with the need for a separate spring for the trigger return spring.

Clockwise rotation was instituted so the rotation of the cylinder would push the crane inward rather than outward (as on a S&W), thus eliminating any strain to the crane from cycling and firing. The counter clockwise rotation was a factor in crane alignment issues with the early Colt and S&W swing out revolvers.
The V spring design for the trigger return also helped with reliability when the gun became VERY dirty. The S&W rebound slide design requires the addition of two more bearing surfaces for dirt, dust, grit, etc to bind the action.

The Colt action also "locks" the cylinder into perfect alignment at the moment of firing, something no modern revolver does. Contrary to common internet lore, Colt's DO NOT go out of time easily. In fact, it's VERY rare to have a Colt that is really out of time. The reason people often question Colt timing is they lack an understanding of how Colt timing works...it is VERY different from modern revolvers of today.

The trigger was designed to best accomodate both slow single action target work, and fast DA work. The thin trigger with serrations is very carefully considered. The thin is to help the finger wrap around. The serrations are for good finger tip purchase for single action work. But the serrations are a little rounded off at the tips, and the edges are carefully rounded so as to be comfortable during DA shooting.

Colt's "Beavertail" hammer is their finest target hammer. Now admittedly it is a little of a weak point, as they are known to break if dropped. This didn't stop the gun from working, but it's not a cheap fix either. Anyhow, the hammer is such that it offers their precise mix of mass for a lighter DA action, and yet light enough that locktime remains reasonable.

The frame mounted firing pin is one of the slickest in all of revolverdom. Colt called it an "unbreakable" firing pin, it wasn't. But it is VERY tough, and probably the easiest of all DA revolver firing pins to change.

The pinned front sight came right at a time when S&W moved to the milled non-removable front sights. Rear sight is of very high quality, but really not better or worse than what was available on a S&W. Colt did have the option of the Eliason rear sight, which was the sight that created the "standard" sight picture of most of the best sight's today.

Finally we come to the barrel. Barrels were initially all milled, but eventually were forged, then milled. The underlug addition was for balance and although Colt say's the King's Target Colt's weren't the inspiration; clearly there were. Lastly, the barrels were made via cut rifling that were hand lapped. In the lapping process, Colt added a very slight taper to the bore so as to milk out the last little bit of accuracy.

So there's some of the technical aspects that make the Python quite the masterpiece of revolver making.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had one years ago. I didnt see anything great about it. For one it wasnt chambered in 44 Magnum.
Now it would have been great if it had been chambered in "The Miracle" 9MM.
With that cartridge it would have been great but alas, it wasnt , so it was mediocre at best, if it could make mediocre.
But that is with doubts.
All one has to do it look at the "The Miracle". It is what make handguns great.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I can remember long decades ago asking exactly that question to the man who taught the Colt Revolver Armory Course. I'll tell you a little of what I learned...

Colt's DA action as seen in the DA revolvers from the New Service on are the perfected combination of the two most common DA systems used in Germany. The Python is the culmination of everything Colt has learned about making revolvers.

The V spring was a great simplification of the DA revolver action because it did away with the need for a separate spring for the trigger return spring.

Clockwise rotation was instituted so the rotation of the cylinder would push the crane inward rather than outward (as on a S&W), thus eliminating any strain to the crane from cycling and firing. The counter clockwise rotation was a factor in crane alignment issues with the early Colt and S&W swing out revolvers.
The V spring design for the trigger return also helped with reliability when the gun became VERY dirty. The S&W rebound slide design requires the addition of two more bearing surfaces for dirt, dust, grit, etc to bind the action.

The Colt action also "locks" the cylinder into perfect alignment at the moment of firing, something no modern revolver does. Contrary to common internet lore, Colt's DO NOT go out of time easily. In fact, it's VERY rare to have a Colt that is really out of time. The reason people often question Colt timing is they lack an understanding of how Colt timing works...it is VERY different from modern revolvers of today.

The trigger was designed to best accomodate both slow single action target work, and fast DA work. The thin trigger with serrations is very carefully considered. The thin is to help the finger wrap around. The serrations are for good finger tip purchase for single action work. But the serrations are a little rounded off at the tips, and the edges are carefully rounded so as to be comfortable during DA shooting.

Colt's "Beavertail" hammer is their finest target hammer. Now admittedly it is a little of a weak point, as they are known to break if dropped. This didn't stop the gun from working, but it's not a cheap fix either. Anyhow, the hammer is such that it offers their precise mix of mass for a lighter DA action, and yet light enough that locktime remains reasonable.

The frame mounted firing pin is one of the slickest in all of revolverdom. Colt called it an "unbreakable" firing pin, it wasn't. But it is VERY tough, and probably the easiest of all DA revolver firing pins to change.

The pinned front sight came right at a time when S&W moved to the milled non-removable front sights. Rear sight is of very high quality, but really not better or worse than what was available on a S&W. Colt did have the option of the Eliason rear sight, which was the sight that created the "standard" sight picture of most of the best sight's today.

Finally we come to the barrel. Barrels were initially all milled, but eventually were forged, then milled. The underlug addition was for balance and although Colt say's the King's Target Colt's weren't the inspiration; clearly there were. Lastly, the barrels were made via cut rifling that were hand lapped. In the lapping process, Colt added a very slight taper to the bore so as to milk out the last little bit of accuracy.

So there's some of the technical aspects that make the Python quite the masterpiece of revolver making.
So in your opinion as a gunsmith/armorer type, which is better, Colt or Smith and Wesson?

As much as I like to like Colt revolvers, I think Smith is the better as far as double actions. Now as far as single actions, which Smith hasn't been heavily into since the old west days, I think Colt beats Smith just on the basis of being more robust. But with double actions, I think Smith carries the day.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
So in your opinion as a gunsmith/armorer type, which is better, Colt or Smith and Wesson?

As much as I like to like Colt revolvers, I think Smith is the better as far as double actions. Now as far as single actions, which Smith hasn't been heavily into since the old west days, I think Colt beats Smith just on the basis of being more robust. But with double actions, I think Smith carries the day.

Well of course I have to ask "best for what?".

Colt's tended to rule the roost on the target range, and S&W tended to rule the roost in LE holsters. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. In .357 the Python is much better than anything S&W has ever made. Mostly because the S&W's had some holes in their game. The K frame .357's weren't quite strong enough for a steady diet of magnums, and had issues with split forcing cones. The N frame S&W's are big, heavy, and have a .38 Special length cylinder. What's more, I have corrected timing on N Frame .38/.357 more than any other revolver I can think of...by a good margin too. Regardless, the S&W M19 will always be special to me.

The S&W L frame is a wonderful revolver, but its still not quite as tough as an I frame Colt, nor as accurate. So in the .357 realm, the Python rules the roost for American made DA revolvers.

With all that said, I have always been a S&W man more than a Colt man. Now mostly that's because my whole life I could always find great deals on used S&W's. Colt's were pricey.

S&W "won" the revolver wars because S&W was lead by competent leaders, not because their revolvers were better (although, I don't really think they were "worse" either). Colt was just bound and determined to cut their own throat...they been that way since day one!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
From what I have heard over the years is that the Colt Python has a delicate mechanism. I confess I have never owned one but I have had the opportunity to shoot them on several occasions. With two of them that I handled I was able to push the hammer forward after it was cocked without touching the trigger. The gun being empty of course.The cylinder has only one locking point as opposed to two on a S&W or three on Ruger revolvers like the old S&W Triple Locks. It was advised to limit the diet of heavy .357 loads in the Python.

They did shoot nicely and had good triggers but I'm happy to stick with my Rugers and S&W revolvers. Seeing how much they are worth today I wish I would have bought a few as investments.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's been 30+ years since I worked in a Colt-authorized warranty shop, but here's what I remember after working on a lot of Pythons and similar D frames: the way the bolt rides up and drops off the shelf on the rebound lever was always a PITA and pretty Micky-Mouse. The rebound lever had to be a perfect fit for the teeter-totter design of the bolt to work properly and to put the correct tension on the hand. As you said, the design dates back to the turn of the 20th century, so if what was "perfected" 120 years ago is still wonderful, I guess that's a matter of opinion and yours is certainly shared by a lot of people. In addition, the cylinder latch, with the little piece of plastic that rides against the sideplate, seemed to bind way more than it should. Finally, the ejector design that requires the removal of the staked on, threaded extractor star for disassembly wasn't the best.

The action certainly stacks, and when you describe the Python's single V mainspring doing double duty as a trigger return spring as an advantage, I saw the separate coil springs of the Smith and Ruger Security-6 family as having the advantage, especially because, again, the Python's rebound lever had to be in perfect fit with the hand return the trigger reliably.

One thing that always bothered me, but, again, just opinion, is that a fast pull of the Python's trigger could make the cylinder spin around and skip a chamber. You had to sort of deliberately try to do this, but I could never get a Smith or a Ruger to do it.

I and the other gunsmiths that worked in our shop were never enthralled with the Python but they sure looked good, no doubt.
Anyway, to each his own, but there are contrary opinions out there about the greatness of the Python.
Best!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
One cannot argue about the greatness of the 9MM though.
That is the consensus of the masses of greatness.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IMR4350
From what I have heard over the years is that the Colt Python has a delicate mechanism. I confess I have never owned one but I have had the opportunity to shoot them on several occasions. With two of them that I handled I was able to push the hammer forward after it was cocked without touching the trigger. The gun being empty of course.The cylinder has only one locking point as opposed to two on a S&W or three on Ruger revolvers like the old S&W Triple Locks. It was advised to limit the diet of heavy .357 loads in the Python.

They did shoot nicely and had good triggers but I'm happy to stick with my Rugers and S&W revolvers. Seeing how much they are worth today I wish I would have bought a few as investments.

The delicate mechanism is a common internet myth. Python's are brute strong (stronger than a S&W L frame), and the lockwork is FAR from fragile. The issue comes from the lack of understanding of how Colt DA timing works; it's very different from the modern revolvers of today. I can't count how many times Colt's were brought to me to "fix the timing" only to be in perfect time.

The Python is a very fine and refined revolver. To be honest, it's a bit of overkill. S&W's and Rugers are just plain excellent revolvers. Colt probably should have moved to their MK III a good 20 years earlier than they did to better match what was REALLY important to the vast majority of the American shooting public.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stray
It's been 30+ years since I worked in a Colt-authorized warranty shop, but here's what I remember after working on a lot of Pythons and similar D frames: the way the bolt rides up and drops off the shelf on the rebound lever was always a PITA and pretty Micky-Mouse. The rebound lever had to be a perfect fit for the teeter-totter design of the bolt to work properly and to put the correct tension on the hand. As you said, the design dates back to the turn of the 20th century, so if what was "perfected" 120 years ago is still wonderful, I guess that's a matter of opinion and yours is certainly shared by a lot of people. In addition, the cylinder latch, with the little piece of plastic that rides against the sideplate, seemed to bind way more than it should. Finally, the ejector design that requires the removal of the staked on, threaded extractor star for disassembly wasn't the best.

The action certainly stacks, and when you describe the Python's single V mainspring doing double duty as a trigger return spring as an advantage, I saw the separate coil springs of the Smith and Ruger Security-6 family as having the advantage, especially because, again, the Python's rebound lever had to be in perfect fit with the hand return the trigger reliably.

One thing that always bothered me, but, again, just opinion, is that a fast pull of the Python's trigger could make the cylinder spin around and skip a chamber. You had to sort of deliberately try to do this, but I could never get a Smith or a Ruger to do it.

I and the other gunsmiths that worked in our shop were never enthralled with the Python but they sure looked good, no doubt.
Anyway, to each his own, but there are contrary opinions out there about the greatness of the Python.
Best!

Yeah I tend to agree with you; it is a delicate balance to get it all right. But in my experience (and maybe yours is different), when I got Colts to work on it was rarely much work to set things right again. My comments were based on how Colt saw things more than my personal opinions. I understand their points and agree with some of them, but I don't necessarily agree it all makes the "best" revolver in the sense of what the vast majority of the shooting public was looking for. Colt ruled the the bullseye world for a LONG time, so they always had target on their mind where revolvers were concerned. It was like auto racing, as long as they were "winning" the Colt brass felt great about their design.

So DA performance at speed was not something Colt paid nearly enough attention to, and S&W did. When the 1950's came and Auto's supplanted the revolver, Colt found themselves with the wrong revolver at the wrong time, and S&W was in a fantastic position to move in. Just one of the many of Colt's blunders.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GunGeek: How does the "old timey" pistol used by many "pistol competitors" known as the "SMOLT" (preferred Colt barrel fitted to the preferred Smith frame/cylinder) fit into your question and your answer.
I used to see a lot of these at Police type competitions.
In other words if the Colt "frame" is also superior to the Smith frame why did so many folks go through the time, trouble, expense of making "Smolts" (using the Smith & Wesson frames and Colt's barrels)?
I did not know about the "tapered" bore of the Colt Pythons barrels.
Thank you for the information so far and looking forward to your insights (if any) on the Smolts.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
GunGeek: How does the "old timey" pistol used by many "pistol competitors" known as the "SMOLT" (preferred Colt barrel fitted to the preferred Smith frame/cylinder) fit into your question and your answer.
I used to see a lot of these at Police type competitions.
In other words if the Colt "frame" is also superior to the Smith frame why did so many folks go through the time, trouble, expense of making "Smolts" (using the Smith & Wesson frames and Colt's barrels)?
I did not know about the "tapered" bore of the Colt Pythons barrels.
Thank you for the information so far and looking forward to your insights (if any) on the Smolts.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

So the pre Mk III Colt's were the best of the target revolvers. And S&W's M19 was the number one cop .357 because it was lighter, and the action could be manipulated blindingly fast. So when PPC came along, many flocked to the S&W's because they're easier to work on, and the action is extremely reliable during fast shooting. So one of the "cheap" ways to get a damn good PPC gun was to just screw a Python barrel. I worked at the Bill Davis Service Center. Bill Davis was a famous competitive shooter and when PPC came along, Davis guns pretty much owned PPC for the first 20 years. I had always been told that Bill was the many who came up with the Smolt idea. I really don't know if that is true (it certainly could be), but what I do know is; we did a good 5x more Smolt's than anyone else in the nation. Being from the West Coast, it was actually very rare to see a Smolt that wasn't a Davis gun.

While they're cool, I have never personally been a big fan. Just my opinion (which means, it's worthless), but when you change to a Python barrel, you have to move the front locking location for the cylinder from the end of the ejector rod to the crane. We would put in a ball-detent setup that took the place of the front lockup. It was extremely difficult to get the detent cut perfectly right and lockup was never as good as the factory setup in my opinion. The reason S&W's require that front locking point is because the cylinder turns counter clockwise and therefore the hand pushes the cylinder out of alignment with the bore as it rotates. So the front lock was added. Colt's solution to to rotate the cylinder toward the crane lock, removing the need for a front locking point.

All that said, I would love to have a Smolt in my collection. It's kind of sad, I worked at several gun companies where I have been involved in the manufacture of 1911's, Browning M2's, AR10's, and a bunch of rather iconic competition revolvers. How many examples do I own from the companies I worked at? Not one!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Colt I frame just doesn't fit my hand, I wanted to like the old first-model Trooper I had, but it just didn't fit my smallish hands worth a hoot. At the same time I was trying out that Colt, I had a round-butt 4" CS-1 686 (Custom Service overrun) that fit me like a glove. It made the Colt feel awkward, it sure shot good (both of them did), but my hand would cramp with it. The fit/finish on a Python is to be conjured to, but if the basics ain't right, the gun ain't right, at least for me.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you have ever fired a S&W registered 357 you would know what a piece of chit the Python is.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Stray

Best!

Yep

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
If you have ever fired a S&W registered 357 you would know what a piece of chit the Python is.

LOL, I have a five screw, I think they call it pre-27 357 mag, it's a sweetheart, Smith said my very early Colt Trooper was a Python without the ribbed barrel, it a smooth shooter too, guess I'm not too picky, I like em both.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Python sucks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I'm weird. I like Dan Wessons. When I want to get fancy around Python users I pull out my Korth.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
long time ago i was firing probably 500 to 1000 rounds a month. another deputy who had more money had a python, i had a model 19.
he never did outshoot me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not gunsmith enough to go into all the details, but to me, Smith's overall are just a better gun. I think they're more robust and thus, more reliable in the long run. To me, the 686/586 series are the best 357's ever made. The only thing wrong with N frames are their size as they are a bit large for the caliber. The K frames are a bit small and delicate with full loads. If I'm going to have a small 357 though, make mine a Colt Detective Special (Magnum Carry) as they are smaller than the K frame and I'm never shooting that many full power loads anyway. They are better IMO than a Smith 640 or the like.

IMO the way the Python got such a great reputation was not Bullseye or whatever, but the look and size. They beat Smith to the punch on size, smoking them by almost thirty years. Why? I have no idea what took Smith so long to come up with the L frame. The over and under barrel lugs just look cool and mean. Hutch carried one. No need for Dirty Harry's .44.

The bottom line though is that once the L frames came along and certainly within a few years after the bugs were ironed out, Smith had the better gun. IMO Ruger, a company I am not highly enamored of, makes a better 357 than Colt, whether you're talking Security Six or GP-100. The only thing the Python beats any of them on is looks-which although highly subjective I think most would agree on. The Python to me is inferior to the Mk III Trooper/King Cobra as well. They certainly are smoother though.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have several piles of Colt DA's and Smith DA experience here. Here's my observations, Pros and Cons of both; Colt DA's don't accumulate the lateral cylinder/frame play that Smiths do, or even Rugers for that matter. You can take a Colt that doesn't even lock up in the bolt properly and notice almost zero slack with cylinder to frame fit. There's no washers/spacers there as well. The barrel twist and rotation gets theoretically gets tighter with every shot in a Colt. Colt rifling distorts the projectile less.
Smiths are miles easier to tune, have a better engineered DA pull and parts from one generation to another aren't drastically different; Colt DA revolvers of the Python type are literally hand fitted because to work correctly they had to be. This translates into Smiths being better suited to mass production. They also didn't have the overly tight throat and barrel dimensions the early Pythons had. Smith was also not stuck with making just 357 revolvers...

I've never thought the Python was that great, other than the obvious workmanship that was put into them. Many Smith guns also had similar treatment up into the 1960's. I think the King Cobra/MKV revolvers were better simply because you could tune them to have both the DA/SA pull that rivals a Smith, the parts could be interchanged easily and the gun was cheaper to produce. Unfortunately they never exhibited the glittery touches that Pythons had applied to them, so externally they were deemed junk and the MKIII they were based on internally were comparatively heavy and gritty on the trigger, due to its short mainspring and probably its less finished parts. By the time its design was corrected revolvers were not as popular and Colt still treated the Python as its premium product.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,105
Posts18,464,217
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.