Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger
The story about McClaren's car being sponsored by Firestone and Mile's car being sponsored by Goodyear (Shelby was the Goodyear west United States distributor (and where he really made money)) is also interesting. The Firestones didn't last and McClaren demanded a shift to Goodyears - and finished the raise on them. They kept that pretty quiet. I still have an old McClaren driving suit patch (with the kiwi).

Yes! The Firestones were shredding and the Firestone people acquiesced to McClaren. They figured Ford finishing on Goodyears was better than DNF on Firestones.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Took the wife to see it last night. Both of us enjoyed it a lot. Just curious how factual the story was. Anyone know?

They have Ken listening to the 33rd,1965, race on the radio when he was actually driving in it.

First year the GT40 ran.....1964.....I believe 3 raced......but all failed to finish.

BUT......Richie Ginther.....mentioned in the movie......started 8th, in 1964, and was told to beat on the Ferraris.

The Ferraris started 1&2 I think. Richie started 8th. But in 2 laps he was the one that blew by the Ferraris, all of them down The Straight,to take the lead, by reving the engine higher, and had a 40 second lead after an hour.

This is what worried Enzo. In 1964......the movie just skipped the first year.

Then Carroll took over for 1965........10 of the 11 cars failed to finish

They also left out the fact that for the first 2 years that the GT40s won.66&67,all the cars were built in Europe.

It was a Lola. It was between a Lotus and a Lola. Lotus wanted Ford-Lotus on the car.
Ford didn’t. Lola built the cars

And as has been said. The other drivers were great. Look at Dan Gurney’s history(played in the movie by his son)
He won in Sprint cars,NASCAR,Indy 500,Top Fuel dragsters, formula 1, and Lemans.

Ken was great!!!! They just made it out like , poor ken, does everything and never gets any credit,

And Carrol was a character and con man. Don’t know if all the things they showed were real. But more and stranger ones did.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 12/02/19.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
257x50: It was even better the second time I saw it (tonight!)!
I seldom pay to see a movie twice on "the bigscreen" but in this instance, it was absolutely well worthwhile!
VaaaaRoooommm.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
257x50: It was even better the second time I saw it (tonight!)!
I seldom pay to see a movie twice on "the bigscreen" but in this instance, it was absolutely well worthwhile!
VaaaaRoooommm.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I said a couple of posts back I saw it on the big screen and liked it.
And I only go to the movies when my grown daughter wants to see one and can’t find anybody.

Once every 2-3 years.

It just bugs me that with that it a budget........the shifting sounds when it the engine should have stayed screaming.

But with that budget.....you have to sell to everyone.

Worlds Fastest Indian was low budget.........only had to sell to a few.

I’ll see it again. On the big screen.

TCM puts old movies on the Big screen. Saw Lawrence of Arabia a few months ago.

Big screen movie. Check them out.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
257 X 50: You say one thing but then try to undo what you just said!
Well I have no such bizarre tendencies - I said it before, I REALLY enjoyed this movie and highly recommend any red blooded American male (and many females!) go and see it.
I think I will say it again this is a SLENDIDLY made movie and in my opinion SUPERB entertainment!
I just might see "Ford vs. Ferrari" a THIRD time, if it ever comes to my small towns duplex theater!
IF... you let the sound of a shift (and I'll take your word for it being somehow incorrect!) diminish this long and extremely well done story/movie for you then YOU are looking for something to complain about!
Maybe you should have asked for your money back when that "sound" did not meet up with your standards?
Do you think the movie theater manager would "look at you funny" if you did such?
I will try and ascertain what you are talking about when "Ford vs. Ferrari" comes to my hometown here.
Me thinks "thou doest complain to much" - at least in this instance.
VaaaRoooom...
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Varmitguy.
Nope. ......ya got me wrong.
Someone asked how correct it was.......and I said it. Many odd the facts were flat wrong.
The reving and shifting is just bad editing. Like hearing a bunch so reving up and down at Bonneville ........just makes ya say....what?
In the corners and coming into them it was right.
Like seeing Patton getting killed in the middle of a battle......hey....it didn’t happen like that.
But I do like it.
Maybe I just hate the fast and furious too much.
PAX

Last edited by 257_X_50; 12/02/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll just wait for the book to come out.

The book is out and actually preceded the movie...it's called "Go Like Hell" by AJ Baime. I'm reading it now. Half way through and it's a good read so far.

The movie might have historical inaccuracies (especially the time line), but they do get a lot of things right, and include subtle touches like the wedges mentioned earlier. Helluva watch!...even the wife enjoyed it...forgot that her first car after graduating was a two seater (Z car)

As portrayed, the movie should have been named "Shelby American vs Ford".

Two and a half hours never went so fast!

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/03/19.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Great movie but I was surprised that they never used the quote that has always been attributed to Shelby... ' Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?'

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
ChrisF: As an aside, I was a young policeman in Seattles "Ballard" area when I first me Ole Bardahl (the multi-millionaire oil additive inventor/producer) he was an interesting and industrious man and an avid boat and car racing enthusiast/promoter.
I would often take refuge on his Blue Ridge (NW Seattle) estate and write my reports in a corner of his property.
He was such a great guy and I attended his funeral many years ago.
It brought a tear to my eye when the folks that made this movie showed an original looking "BARDAHL" banner in one of the race track scenes.
I don't know for sure whether or not his "oil additive" worked but it made him an extremely wealthy man and he gave a lot back to the racing industry.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Kelbro: I am happy you enjoyed the movie and thanks for that bit of trivia.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYKcALDSl10&t=2s

Top 10 Things Ford V Ferrari Got Factually Right and Wrong

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you liked Ford vs Ferrari, you need to see The 24 Hour War on Netflix. True documentary of the entire story. They interview all the heavyweights of the era they can find still alive and even have voice and older fottage from Shelby. Good (great) interviews with Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti, etc.

Enjoy!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by hatari
Oh, see it on the Big Screen. Seriously.

+1

We liked it so much we saw it again.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wanted to bump this for the morning crowd that might be interested in The 24 Hour War.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was this posted on here already? Apologies if it was.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Birdwatcher: No I hadn't seen it but thanks to you I have and enjoyed it very much - very interesting.
Also enjoyed the additional/following clip "Leno & Damon" discuss Ford vs. Ferrari.
Thanks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ttt

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.