-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody try any of the Kahtoola gaiters?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Originally Posted by cwh2
They look good, but I've never used them.

I've used Kenetreks, which I liked but are not really durable, ORs, which are the standard, and Black Diamond which were a steaming pile of [bleep]. And I normally am a Black Diamond fan.

Ok. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with my black diamonds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Anybody try any of the Kahtoola gaiters?

I've looked at them, but the small, exposed zipper makes me leery. That zipper is down at ground level where snow, ice, mud, etc., collect. It's not covered, and I can imagine having a tough time with it in a variety of conditions or with cold hands trying to make it work. I prefer a Velcro closure... KISS.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I took my new kenetrek gaiters on a moose hunt. One did not survive a deadfall expedition. I need to patch a tear.
They did keep my feet dry in a lake while quartering a moose.
I will checkout the other options discussed.
Not to sidetrack, but repair suggestions?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's just a tear, a needle and thread with seam-sealer over it to finish. Or, Gear Aid Tenacious Tape... I prefer to use the clear tape. Use a piece on the inside and outside.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Calvin

They look good, but I've never used them.

I've used Kenetreks, which I liked but are not really durable, ORs, which are the standard, and Black Diamond which were a steaming pile of [bleep]. And I normally am a Black Diamond fan.

Ok. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with my black diamonds.

If they are holding up for you, you are probably doing something right!

The instep strap buckle on mine broke the first day of use. Taped it and used it for a couple weeks sheep hunting, then tried to use them at moose camp. Blew the strap out completely at moose camp but I had backups there. The other one is tearing out too, and upon closer inspection, that buckle is trying to give up the ghost too. Not trying to knock the company... I generally like their stuff as I mentioned. But it would be tough to sell me another pair of their gaiters. Less than a season on these:

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Black Diamond backs their equipment. Over tightening the straps? Perhaps you could have returned them for a replacement instead of continuing to wear broken gear?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Didn't "tighten" the straps at all.

I got what I could out of the POS. My biggest fear in returning them was that they would give me another pair.

I have pictures of some decent quality gaiters with 4 years of use on them too if you'd like to see what that looks like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No thanks.

I use my BDs in rough terrain and with crampons, too. 9 years and still almost new looking despite bashing up and down actual mountains.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cool. In the interest of understanding your experience, which is obviously much different than mine:
Is that all/most winter use? How much loose rock?

Its not that I don't believe you, but 9 years on a set of gaiters is just hard to comprehend.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been using the kuiu ones since they first came out. I'm very happy with them and they've held up well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool. In the interest of understanding your experience, which is obviously much different than mine:
Is that all/most winter use? How much loose rock?

Its not that I don't believe you, but 9 years on a set of gaiters is just hard to comprehend.

Actually a valid point.

Annually, use them for 2-3 mixed snow, ice, rock climbs in the North Cascades, usually couple of Cascades volcano climbs, a few deep snow snowshoe trips, several chrony shooting trips in the mountain environment and one or two non-summit "assists" of those that are not prepared or shouldn't be where they are.

Wear them when needed on approaches with scree, talus and boulders, wet brush, etc. Couple of times in desert environments when other equipment was delayed.

They're a little frayed, but very serviceable. I always clean and maintain all equipment, gear and firearms on returning from any kind of sojourn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wanted to wait until the end of the season before providing any feedback smile

new gaiters this year- Kuiu Yukon, look very similar to the OR Croc in design- different fabric, definitely quieter than the Croc; seems durable- have a lot of miles on them, but just one season- time will tell; at the bottom instead of a fold over velcro to secure (OR), the Kuiu uses a heavy duty snap- much better design; I have a couple of pair of OR gaiters where the small velcro piece has failed

anyways- another possible gaiter to look at

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My biggest fear in returning them was that they would give me another pair.

LOL!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I agree with cwh2, the black diamonds are junk! The pair I had made it 4 days. The next worse was kennetreks. I currently use OR and can stretch two to three years out of a pair.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kuius have been great for me 5 years zero problems. A bit better than the OR and REI and BD.

V
V
Originally Posted by mtwarden

new gaiters this year- Kuiu Yukon, look very similar to the OR Croc in design- different fabric, definitely quieter than the Croc; seems durable- have a lot of miles on them, but just one season- time will tell; at the bottom instead of a fold over velcro to secure (OR), the Kuiu uses a heavy duty snap- much better design; I have a couple of pair of OR gaiters where the small velcro piece has failed

@mtwarden - How do the Kuiu's stack up to the OR's in terms of breathability? I've worn OR's for years, Crocs and Veriglas and have never gotten sweaty in them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vdeal
Originally Posted by mtwarden

@mtwarden - How do the Kuiu's stack up to the OR's in terms of breathability? I've worn OR's for years, Crocs and Veriglas and have never gotten sweaty in them.

IME the Yukons are at least as breathable.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have had a grey pair of the kuiu’s for 5 years I love them

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Kuiu’s look about as good as it gets...

Question, are the instep straps replaceable like the Sea To Summit?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

625 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,994
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.