24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reckon all a guy can do is live til he dies.

Seen my betters perish while I survived.

No particular reason why

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My stoke in 2008, I almost didn’t make it!

And that is all I have to say about it!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If you're here to participate in this thread,..the closest you have come to the end is this second.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m still here by the Grace of God.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a number of them. The first I was in my early teens. I was trying to rescue my spaniel who was trying to retrieve a branch through a hole in the ice on the local creek. When I tried to pull him out the edge ice broke under my feet and I went in. Luckily a friend was with me and managed to get me out.

Number of crazy driving stunts in my late teens. Later in life was involved in two vehicle rollovers. Everybody walked away from both of these.

In my mid to late thirties was on I-75 returning to Ontario from Florida when traffic stopped dead on the highway. Someone slammed into my back end coming down from 70 mph. We were left pinning a car against the left side New Jersey barriers. Then that car burst into flames. Fortunately the line of cars in front of me moved and allowed me to pull away from the burning vehicle. The burning car was laying a heavy pall of black smoke across the road. I got my oldest daughter out and put her up on the median barrier. My wife took our youngest daughter and ran (foolishly we later decided) to the opposite (right hand) side of the road. Because of the heavy smoke no oncoming driver could have seen them crossing the road. Thank goodness no one was coming at that moment.

Currently, while not life threatening, I have been fighting something called temporal arteritis. This is an artery that runs alongside the ear and goes to the brain. The doctor told me that if it had not been detected I could have gone blind. Talk about someone getting your attention with a statement! This was diagnosed in early June and if I am lucky I may get off certain medication around April, 2020.

I hope these are the only stories I will even have to tell.

Jim

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was driving a 1976 Datsun 260Z, and hit a RR track at about 90 mph. I went airborne quite a ways but landed on the road and was able to control the car to a stop. Scared me big time.

NRA Patron
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dale06
I was driving a 1976 Datsun 260Z, and hit a RR track at about 90 mph. I went airborne quite a ways but landed on the road and was able to control the car to a stop. Scared me big time.

How did the Datsun make out?
Bob

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Captain
In the last year I came close at least two times maybe three between pneumonia and leukemia. I no longer have either. Have had many close calls. These are the latest.

You're lucky. The docs flipped a coin and it came up heads so they saved you, unlike others they kill for whatever reason. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Today is one day closer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
The Lord has saved me at least a hundred times.

As a kid I was supposed to die of severe intractable asthma. Lung tumor. CNS tumor. Truck ran a red light at 90 running from cops, a few snake ordeals miles from help, falling of a hay trailer as a kid between it and tractor, dodged a head on from a drunk one night near Burnet Texas, bud set his Savage. Leaver 22 mag down muzzle up as we stopped to talk and it went off missing my head by inches, Mexican held knife to my throat in high school cause I wouldnt vacate school sidewalk for he and his buds walking side by side, tripped on big rattler laying on RR track one cool evening, flew out of pickup bed doing 50 when it didnt make the curve in a cliche road and embedded in the outside bank, I had jumped down in bed with feet against the cab before we hit and impact nearly squashed me but only clipped my head on the back of the cab as I went over it. Woke up in the air as I was suspended in a barbed wire fence, one buddy in back with me died and one of 3 in the cab.
There are more.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Told my wife...Yo do look fat in those jeans...

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I got wedged underwater in a concrete culvert in OCS.

I'm a big guy and it was a tight culvert. You have to go through on your back, face up, head first. When you come out, the tip of your rifle with BFA has to be on the rim of your Kevlar.

It is one very uncomfortable exercise in a long course. The water was up over the top of the culvert and the temp barely above freezing. When I went through the first time my canteens scraped the bottom and knocked the BFA off my Kevlar. As I came through the instructor sent be back around to do again due to the rifle placement.

I pushed in the second time, and when my canteen scraped the bottom, I said phug it, I'm not going to do this all day, held the rifle firm and thrust myself back....wedging myself firmly in the tight culvert. I don't know how long this lasted. I clearly remember thinking, that's it, I'm going to die in this phugging culvert. I was able to get one of my arms free and reach back out and stick my fingers out of the culvert into the air. Then I felt a hand grab my deuce gear and whoosh....they pulled me out without a word and sent me on my way.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by vferguson3006
Well since you asked, this was my home when I was 19 yrs. old.
Someone f---ed up, we hung there for a few minutes, could have gone either way,
to the bottom with all hands, or surface. I am still alive.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dude, c'mon, man, we need to hear that story!

One ought not surface under a carrier. End of story.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh yeah- almost forgot this one.

I fooked up! Swift river, approaching from upstream to a railroad trestle (no prob going upstream under power earlier).

Big backwater just upstream, where the stream hit a rock embankment and made a 90, immediately above the trestle.- plan was to beach there and line the boat down through the trestle and motor on. Misjudged current strength, missed the backwater, went head on into the rocks, then sideways into the trestle. An 18 foot boat does not fit well through a 12 foot trestle span, sideways.

As the boat filled with water, I was pinned against the side by the 1" heavy walled iron pipe lift handle as the boat was sucked under. I got out.

On the far side of the trestle, I retrieved the boat (lost almost all my gear), while the Lab retrieved the lunch, took it to shore, and ate it. Survival situation!. Floated down to the lake, hooked a tow back to the landing, and proceeded to repairs from there.

Had to replace that iron pipe, I put a helluva a bend in it by sheer manual strength getting it away from me enough to escape.

Still using the boat, now known as "Sneer". did not get it quite flat when we were welding it back up, and the right front corner has a bit of lift to it.

I absolutely thought I'd bought it that time, pinned against the boat as we went under.

Last edited by las; 12/02/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

I retrieved the boat (lost almost all my gear), while the Lab retrieved the lunch, took it to shore, and ate it. Survival situation!.

Really glad you survived; had to LOL at the dog eating the food on the spot.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by las

I retrieved the boat (lost almost all my gear), while the Lab retrieved the lunch, took it to shore, and ate it. Survival situation!.

Really glad you survived; had to LOL at the dog eating the food on the spot.

+1

Made me LOL!

I'm slightly skeptical about the iron pipe though - I would have expected that to sink after you bent it away from your powerful torso! laugh

John

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had so many Iraqi and Afghans around me with loaded firearms, it’s impossible to count the ways I could have been killed. We were leaving in 2011 when an Afghan walked right past us with a firearm and went on to go and kill another US service member just past us.

Had a rocket land right over my tent in Bagram. I was leaving the next day and had a tent in the transient section. Super close. They are close when you can smell the fuel.

There are a lot of easy ways to die in Iraq and AFG.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've spent some time in boats and airplanes. Everything is fine until suddenly it's not. Always made it home.
Add in 40 years of firefighting/EMS in some very bad neighborhoods. Some very close calls.
I guess God still wants me around.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was 19 and I had a motorcycle.....

Yes a good way for a trip to the morgue. I had a Honda 175 Scrambler, high pipes so you could ride street or trail. I was on the Atlanta Braves ground crew. I was in downtown Atlanta, headed to Atlanta Stadium, late one afternoon. I was going through an intersection.
A car coming towards me had his turn signal on, he was turning left. But the sun was in his eyes and he didn't see me. So he was going to turn in front of me! 19 year old stupid ass, I gave it the gas I thought I would beat him to the intersection. And I almost did.
His left front bumper hit my exhaust pipe on my left side. Hit about 10 inches from my ass. What is that, 1/millionth of a second less and it would have hit me in the hip.

My bike was knocked over on the right side, and onto the sidewalk. I was doing about 40 mph, and should have had all the skin sanded off of my right leg. But as the bike went over, I climbed on top of the left side, like a monkey I rode on top of that bike for 100 feet until my front wheel smashed into a sign in the sidewalk and the bike stopped. I got up and walked away, not a scratch on me.

A few years ago, I was driving on a twisty mountain road in North Carolina. I was going around a hairpin curve, suddenly from the other direction a guy came at me, he was half way across the yellow line. My girlfriend and I still remember, his eyes were as big as saucers, he knew he screwed up.
I had only my left hand on the wheel. I flipped my hand to the right about 2 inches, Thank God there was a shoulder there, about 4 feet wide, and I got 4 feet over, missed this errant driver by about 3 inches. Both vehicles doing 45 that would have been a bad wreck. I flipped my hand to the right, then flipped right back, because the shoulder ran out, I was on the shoulder for about 30 feet.

I Mexico one time, my buddy and I ran a Mexican Army roadblock, way out in the countryside at night. A Mexican Lieutenant chased us down in an unmarked Mustang, passed us and braked to a stop, blocking the road. Little Jose jumped out of the passenger seat and aimed his M16 right at George, who was driving.
And the Lieutenant, sitting in the drivers seat about 10 feet away, aimed his 1911 Colt right at my head. He was right in our headlights, well lit up. Those Mexican cops just love the 1911 Colt. He racked the slide and I was looking right down the barrel. That hole looked bigger than 45 hundredths of an inch, it looked about 4 inches wide.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.