Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have lots of experience with the .300 and quite a bit with the .338 & more with the .340... All three are great rounds, but the .300 gets my vote hands down.. If I need to go bigger then I step up to a .375... I would like to know how much experience guys who say there is no diff. between the o6 and the .300 have with both rounds.. An 06 is a great round, but the .300 is a big step up in, speed , flat traj.. and of course recoil... If you can't handle the recoil then you are better off with the 06 and if that is too much the .308...

smile smile smile

Thanks WCH. I've been gone nearly all day. I posted earlier while at lunch.

The man who only knows what he has experienced is an ignoramus ! And generally is a Jerkus Magnus.

None of us knew our own NAME till we were TOLD.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/02/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B6

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman
I think Jerry is comparing the 300 win to 30\06 analogy..... Just my guess though

Ding ! Ding ! You are correct. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Rossimp
Well that makes perfect sense. My bad.

That's a mistake we ALL have made. No Problem.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I use a .308 for most things and a .338 for everything else. I helped a couple of buddies get their .338’s sighted in one day at our friends ranch and the difference between the stocks made recoil substantially different. My friends A-bolt felt significantly stouter in recoil than my rifle or my buddy’s model 70 Safari Grade rifle.

I was using and shooting my .338 a lot many years back and have a telepathic relationship with her, she’s been an extremely accurate and faithful companion. I took a friend deer hunting for the first time and he bought a BSA in 7mm Mag for his big game rifle, which was an excellent choice for a 1 rifle battery in my opinion. He asked me to shoot it a little and see what I thought. WOW!....that SOB KICKED harder than my .338. It was painful to shoot but it did shoot good. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
An8

I know xactly what you’re talking about. Diff stocks, diff recoil pads CAN make
the diff like daylight & dark.

I’ve shot a BDL 375 HH quite a bit. I have an 8 mm RM and shot it more than my friend
the original owner.

I HAD a Ruger 77 OG, red pad in 338 W. That IS the hardest kicking rifle I’ve
ever owned OR shot. It hurt EVERY time I shot it.
It went down the road so fast it RAISED DUST. LOL

The 8 M shoots more powder and 220 gr bullets faster / 338, less powder 225 gr bullets slower.
The 8 RM is a PUSSYCAT compared to the OG 338.

It was the stock not the cartridge.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/02/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
I have a MCM stocked, 20” 338 Win Mag in SS M70 I need to put into service. Seems like 185 Barnes TTSX would make it a great close quarters rut rifle.

My .338 is 21" and with 250's it's still my favorite for elk. I have a box full of stuff, but the .338 is well worn.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned both and I have killed elk with both.
The 338 makes a larger hole through the elk and with one of the bullets I used, it always left me an exit. One other didn't and penetration was not too good.

Some 300 bullets didn't work out very well, but if you use a tough 180, 200 or 220 grain bullet the 300s also give exits.

I still own one of the 300s. I sold my 338s, but not because I had any complaints. It's just that I found that if I wanted to see more effect on large game then I get with the 270 Winchester of 30-06 my 9.3s and my 375H&H beat them.

If I were to be forced to choose one or the other I would choose the 338 over the 300s. I still own one 300 and I really like the rifle, so that is the reason I kept in more so then what cartridge it's chambered in.

I have owned two 300H&Hs one 300 Win Mag, two 308 Norma Mags, one 300 Weatherby mag and one 30-378 Weatherby mag and I have also owned a 338 Win mag.

To be 100% honest, I can't say I can see any real world difference in how any of my 300s killed elk, being faster of better then the 30-06s I have also killed elk with. You would think the super fast speeds given to me from the 300 Weatherby and the 30-378 Weatherby would just "have to kill better" then the 30-06 ------and I though so too ------until I used them. Nothing wrong with any of them, but I just didn't see any more effect on the killing of elk from the super-duper-uber fast bullets then I did from good 180 and 220 grain 30-06 loads. Flatter and more reach?....................Yes. Better killers? No.

The 2 choices you ask about are the 300 and the 338 mags ----- and if those were the only 2 I'd go with the 338 from my experience as a elk rifle, but if you were to also give a 30-06 as one of the choices I would take that over either one of the belted mags you named.

The reason I don't own a 338 now days is that I do own a 9.3X62 and a 9.3X74R as well as the 375H&H I have owned for the last 43years. All 3 of them put the elk down faster and better then any of my old 300s (including the one I still own) OR the 338 mag I used to have.

Others may disagree. And my opinion can't be said to be "better" then theirs. It's just what I have seen from using them.

But from my 50+ years of elk killing, if I want to step up from a 270 or a 30-06, I would step all the way up to a 9.3X62 or a 375H&H. The 270 to 300 grain bullets they use have been more impressive then the 30 cals I used, (not that there was a thing "wrong" with the 30s either) Or the 338 250 grain and 225 grain bullets I used.

In the 338 Mag I used 225 Grain Hornady Spire Points which came apart badly and didn't kill as well or fast as my 270s or 30-06s.

I also used the 250 grain Nosler partitions which were excellent.

The 250 from the 338 Win Mag put the elk down in a few seconds. My 375s and the 9.3 do it too, but in a few seconds less. (often instantly)

I am splitting hairs here and I admit it. But I figured I'd share what I have personally seen. My opinion is based on experience, but others may have different experience, so my advice may be worth exactly what it cost you. Nothing.

Last edited by szihn; 12/01/19.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have a browning A-bolt 338 mag from about 1988 and have shot many deer and elk plus a lot of African animals with it. I also have a tikka T3 in .338 win mag that I have shot a lot of deer and elk and a couple moose with it. I shoot 225 accubond now but used to shoot 250 nosier partition. I like my .338 caliber better than my old 300 Winchester. I think recoil is about same but agree stock design makes a difference. Maybe I just hit animals a little better with .338 but they seem to die quicker.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ADNA
I have a browning A-bolt 338 mag from about 1988 and have shot many deer and elk plus a lot of African animals with it. I also have a tikka T3 in .338 win mag that I have shot a lot of deer and elk and a couple moose with it. I shoot 225 accubond now but used to shoot 250 nosier partition. I like my .338 caliber better than my old 300 Winchester. I think recoil is about same but agree stock design makes a difference. Maybe I just hit animals a little better with .338 but they seem to die quicker.

Shot ya a pm adna...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JBabcock
Ah, I personally think the 30-06 might be the greatest cartridge ever designed. With today’s bullets, I’d hunt the world with it. I’ve put away my magnums, and I typically grab a 30-06. Retired? I don’t think so. Think 350 Chevy small-block, and there’s the 30-06 right next to it.

I cant stand the old Chevy small blocks. Then my uncle run it (30-06) in the ground. According to him, we could do away with artillery guns, because the ot-sux could do more damage. You also don't have to worry about trees in a forrest battle. The ole Turdy caliber M1 will go through those trees and actually speed up when they come out. Then they are incendiary and burn up the target.

.......ok, I embellished a little, but you get the idea.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwall
An8

I know xactly what you’re talking about. Diff stocks, diff recoil pads CAN make
the diff like daylight & dark.

I’ve shot a BDL 375 HH quite a bit. I have an 8 mm RM and shot it more than my friend
the original owner.

I HAD a Ruger 77 OG, red pad in 338 W. That IS the hardest kicking rifle I’ve
ever owned OR shot. It hurt EVERY time I shot it.
It went down the road so fast it RAISED DUST. LOL

The 8 M shoots more powder and 220 gr bullets faster / 338, lees powder 225 gr bulets slower.
The 8 RM is a PUSSYCAT compared to the OG 338.

It was the stock not the cartridge.

Jerry

I had a friend on another forum (he has passed now), and he loved the 8mm Rem Mag. Swore by that thing. He would always say a 220 grain GameKing @ 3040 was all he needed for ANYTHING. I almost built a 8 RM in his honor, but I got sidetracked. A.D.D. ya know? I did have a .325 WSM, and I got a lot of texts and calls from him about it. He thought it was a great idea.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Myself, I am a 338 Winchester fan. My shots are certainly under 300 yds, so trajectory and wind drift between the 2 have little bearing for me.
I shoot 225 grain monolithics in the 338. I prefer above .308 caliber. Both are proven to work for anything in North America and beyond.
I have 300's also, just never developed the attachment that I have for 338's. Probably no other reason than it seems everyone has a 300, and with good reason.
Ammo availablity and price seem to be about equal here. Recoil, I don't see a big difference.

---------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by pharmvet
I’ve been browsing the net looking for a Ruger all weather Skeketon stock in .300 Win Mag for Elk and possibly Moose. Haven’t seen one in .300 Win Mag but there are a few .338 Win Mag for sale. This has me thinking......

How do you compare these two? Would you choose one over the other? Ammo availability / price? Recoil comparison?’any and all info is we scones. I have no experience with either caliber. Thanks!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ldmay375
Myself, I am a 338 Winchester fan. My shots are certainly under 300 yds, so trajectory and wind drift between the 2 have little bearing for me.
I shoot 225 grain monolithics in the 338. I prefer above .308 caliber. Both are proven to work for anything in North America and beyond.
I have 300's also, just never developed the attachment that I have for 338's. Probably no other reason than it seems everyone has a 300, and with good reason.
Ammo availablity and price seem to be about equal here. Recoil, I don't see a big difference.

---------------------------------------------------

I’ve been browsing the net looking for a Ruger all weather Skeketon stock in .300 Win Mag for Elk and possibly Moose. Haven’t seen one in .300 Win Mag but there are a few .338 Win Mag for sale. This has me thinking......

How do you compare these two? Would you choose one over the other? Ammo availability / price? Recoil comparison?’any and all info is we scones. I have no experience with either caliber. Thanks!

I had a Ruger Compact in .308 that was a LOT more painful than my .338 Win Mag in a Hogue stock. That Compact would be the snot out of ya, bruise your shoulders.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have killed a few head with the 300.
Never hunted my 338, bought it because it was a deal on a Pre Garcia Sako.

After a time, I realized that with most loads, the 300 had enough
punch up close, and carried more at longer range.
Not that it was better for some uses, but enough.

Laughing at this thread.

We get these posts of guys using small for the application chamberings.
If one mentions better results with 30 calibers, he gets blasted.

How much do you need?
How hard are deer to kill?
It's placement!

The exact same guys are here singing praise on the magnums.
A few days ago, much smaller cases were more than enough for elk.

Confused, I am!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've owned, used both. I have no pref over either one. I used the 180 xbt in the 300WM on PG and the 340Wby/210 also on PG. Shot a couple head with my friends 338/200X while over there. I couldn't tell any difference in the reaction of any animal, really. If you like heavy bullets, 338WM is your huckleberry. If you like fast and flat, a 180/185 in each do the same things, with the 338 cutting a slightly bigger hole. Good luck to you pard.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/03/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Have killed a few head with the 300.
Never hunted my 338, bought it because it was a deal on a Pre Garcia Sako.

After a time, I realized that with most loads, the 300 had enough
punch up close, and carried more at longer range.
Not that it was better for some uses, but enough.

Laughing at this thread.

We get these posts of guys using small for the application chamberings.
If one mentions better results with 30 calibers, he gets blasted.

How much do you need?
How hard are deer to kill?
It's placement!

The exact same guys are here singing praise on the magnums.
A few days ago, much smaller cases were more than enough for elk.

Confused, I am!

I sing the praises of my magnums, but that's just how I am. It is what I like to shoot. The .300 Winchester is wayyyy more than what is needed for a Whitetail. But it's what I like to use.

IMHO, the 7x57 and 7mm-08 are THE perfect choice for Whitetail. You have just that little extra "umphh" for longer shots or bad angles. My wife will be hunting them next year with a 6.5 Creedmoor, and I will load it with 140 Accubonds.

Elk aren't hard to kill, but they are a tough, strongly built animal. My bare minimum would be a 7mm Rem Mag, but that is me. I suppose a minimum of a .257 Weatherby, .25-06, .25 WSSM would suffice. With more emphasis pushing for a .308, .30-06 etc

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Well out to a good clip they are categorically the same cartridge and both are super numeric in just about every category for NA game.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

By the way, Mr O.P., owning both, I can tell you if I had to choose, I'd take the .338 ten times out of ten. Also, I have the .264 Win Mag, and a 7mm Rem Mag in the same gun. Still, I'd choose the .338. In these models the 7mm Rem Mag has a smaller profile barrel.

Attached Images
PB_1573443685668.png (221.94 KB, 232 downloads)
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have been using a boat paddle .300 Win as my main hunting rifle for the past four seasons or so. Taken a fair amount of game with it using a 180 TTSX from around 75 yards to 466. Elk, Deer and Bears. Zero complaints other than heft. Recoil has been very manageable. I know some guys hate the paddle stocks for recoil but I get along just fine with mine. Have owned boat paddle and newer synthetic Rugers in .338 also. Can't think of a single thing I would do with the .338 that I wouldn't do with the .300.

If I wanted to shoot bigger bullets at slower speeds I would probably skip the .338 and build a .358 Norma cut to 20-22" just because.

Last edited by MedRiver; 12/03/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've pondered the 358 Norma too Jud, already got a 338 and whelen so I said to hell with it...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Judman
I've pondered the 358 Norma too Jud, already got a 338 and whelen so I said to hell with it...

I got a whelen and a .300 so said to hell with the .338 and the Norma, lol.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.