Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Picked up a used pair of these boots for this season. Gave them a solid workout this season with multiple heavy pack outs.

Pros:
Light
Comfortable
Decent ankle support
Doable when wet
Dries overnight on boot drier.

Cons:

Not waterproof
Not a very aggressive tread.

Review:

I did 8 day hunts with them in one of the wettest rut seasons we have had. Fully saturated muskegs.

The boots did ok. They let water in after miles of hiking through saturated muskegs. Leaking increased towards later hunts. Timber style hunts they stayed dry. For stream crossings I would crank down on the laces for crossings and they let in minimal water when waking quickly across the stream, completely covered. You really had to tighten them to the point where it almost hurt though.

Very light. Big difference in your longevity going up and down slopes with light boots compared to heavy leathers.

Very weak tread. You have to be very careful not to wipe out coming down. Much tougher to dig your heels in and stop the slide. It forced me to slow down and use trecking poles. Still had a few spectacular wipeouts though.

Ankle support was good for me.

All in all I will continue to use them as day hunters. Wet feet wasn’t that bad and the extra “up” and miles was worth it

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm on my 2nd pair. The 1st ones lasted 4 years for hunting/hiking and on SAR searches. The only time my feet got wet were the times I had to wade through water deeper than the boots. They are the best boots I've used. The normal price is around $230,but if you keep your eyes open can catch them on sale. I paid $119 for the 1st pair, $179 for the new ones.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve done many elk hunts with them and despite trying some others I’m convinced the Salomons are the best boot for me. I’ve never tested them with water like you did, but in 8-9” of snow, Occasional creek crossings and occasional bogs I’ve never had my feet get wet. Most importantly, my feet have never been sore in any way while wearing them.
Your comment about the tread is interesting. I’ve always felt the grip was especially good. The heels have a good edge to dig in coming down steep terrain.

Last edited by prm; 11/24/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve been using the Solomon 4D gtx since 2012. No nylon boot with a gore bootie will stay dry... it’s a conundrum for sure.

Good boots, though I rarely use them anymore.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're on sale now on their site for $172.50 & free shipping.

Doesn't look like the come in wide though.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wear Altra lone peaks until it gets cold and wet, then I switch to the Salomons, I avoid muskeg. We are living in the golden age of footwear, I haven't had cold feet or blisters for several years.

Caveat: It may have been a few years since I did 20 mile days, or carried > 35 lbs.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad you say you have used them since 2012 but then say you rarely use them anymore. What boot have you moved to now? I have a pair and like them though like you said nylon and goretex will probably leak eventually.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a pair of these last summer on a hiking trip when my normal hikers were having major problems. I ran to town picked up a pair of the SolomonGTX 4D and with zero break-in went 14 miles the first day and 12 the second. Comfortable right out of the box with no break-in needed. A good summer early fall hiking/outdoor work boot for me. I like that they come in half sizes past 12. Like already mentioned, they ain't waterproof.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Used these for the first time this season. Probably have about 40 miles on them and the only complaint is the front rand area on the inside of the toe looks like its separating. Nothing some shoe goo won't fix. Plus I think i paid 130 bucks for them. Not bad.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 11/26/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on my third pair. I wear them for everything outdoors - hiking, backpacking, hunting, working.

I agree with all your pros/cons - except tread. The newest version has a more aggressive tread, much more so than previous versions. I bought a new pair this year based solely on the new tread pattern. I find them way better when slippery surfaces get involved. They are definitely 'grippier'.

I also tried several aftermarket insoles. I finally found this one https://sofsole.implus.com/product/airr-insoles. The issue is that the Quest have a fairly narrow heel and mid foot. I ended up with a women's insole - apparently they run a bit narrower through the heel/mid foot area. It fit perfect. The men's version bunched up too much for my liking under my arch - but I have flat week to compound the issue.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they didn't work for me; something weird where they were hitting the outside near my ankle (hurt like hell!)- had to send them back; certainly enjoyed how light they were and the fitment- decently roomy toe box; snug, but not overly snug midfoot and locked in heel, outsole was good and while stiffness could probably be a little more, not bad

I wished they would have worked smile

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They didn’t work for me either. They were super light and had good traction for me also. My problem was the outside of the toe box rubbed my toe bad. Tried 2 different sizes and both did it. Was bummed because other than that they were comfy and super light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ just goes to show that when it comes to boots, fit trumps almost everything. I tried three different boots and it wasn't until the 4th pair that I found a pair that fit well (and worked), of course they discontinued them a year later smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtwarden
^ just goes to show that when it comes to boots, fit trumps almost everything. I tried three different boots and it wasn't until the 4th pair that I found a pair that fit well (and worked), of course they discontinued them a year later smile

So true. I recently ordered a pair of Crispi's that I wanted badly to work for late season cold-weather/snow hunts and unfortunately they don't work for my feet at all. At least that particular boot didn't anyway. Not a knock to their quality at all, they just don't fit my foot.

Back in the day, USA made, Danner Sasquatch's fit me well and never leaked. I always kept an extra pair on hand thinking they would quite making them or change them. Sure enough, they did.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by mtwarden

So true. I recently ordered a pair of Crispi's that I wanted badly to work for late season cold-weather/snow hunts and unfortunately they don't work for my feet at all. At least that particular boot didn't anyway. Not a knock to their quality at all, they just don't fit my foot.

Back in the day, USA made, Danner Sasquatch's fit me well and never leaked. I always kept an extra pair on hand thinking they would quite making them or change them. Sure enough, they did.

Crispi is the boot I went to after the Salomon and they have been super comfy and fit me well.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
What model crispi is the one to get?

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went with the Thor since I wanted a lightweight non insulated boot. I tried on the summit and Nevada also. They were just as comfy also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both the Wild Rock and Guide. I tend to wear the Guude elk hunting and when I'm doing alot of walking when its cool/cold. I tend to wear the Wild Rock if I need to sit a spell and do alot of walking.

I love Crispi boots. I replaced the insole with the Soffsole air. They work well for my flat, low volume foot.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wanted to use the 4D, but they are too narrow for my foot. Went back to the Lowa Renegade for lightweight archery boot.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
I’ve been using the Solomon 4D gtx since 2012. No nylon boot with a gore bootie will stay dry... it’s a conundrum for sure.

Good boots, though I rarely use them anymore.

What are you using now Brad?

I use gtx 4d’s where snow permits not using a higher boot. No snow I use almost exclusively low tops. Don’t have ankle issues and absolutely think it’s hilarious when people wear hi-tops with a piece of foam for support.

Last edited by smallfry; 12/03/19.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 34 invisible), 2,817 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,631
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.