Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think everyone should own both. Both guns really have their strong points. I guess for me, I value handiness, lightweight and pointablity most in a lever gun these days. If I was scoping up I would go 336, if I was serious about shooting a deer, I probably go 336. If I want to go on a walk in the sage and shoot varmints and jack rabbits. the 94 will get the not. The latter event is the event I am mot likely going to use a lever gun. a bit off topic, what about a model 92

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 94 Legacy has downed many deer for me since 1995. It is a little lighter than my Glenfield 30GT but accuracy is the same - 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the last year the lever action bug has bitten me. I first bought a marlin 1894 in 357 and just loved the thing. Then I thought lets try a 336, so I picked up a really nice 1980 336 in 30-30. its a very solid gun with a great trigger. but it wasn't near as handy as the marlin 1894. for the last several months I have been wanting a winchester 94. YES I know they are the most common deer rifle ever made. but living in utah where the dang thing was invented they aren't very easy to find. So I picked up a 1954, winchester 94 in 30-30 off gunbroker. It weighs 2 oz more than my marlin 1894c. The fact of the matter its just quite a bit handier than the 336, its at least a half pound lighter. The action seems to lever in those long 30-30 cases with less clunkiness than the 336 does. Don't get me wrong the 336 is beefier, more solid feeling. The 94 is looser fitting and less solid feeling.

to me the secret sauce of a lever gun is how handy they are. how fast can they swing on target. how fast can you lever in a new cartridge. the winchester 94, handles more like my marlin 1894, but shoots a much more potent 30-30 case. I have no intentions to ever hunt deer with any of these lever guns. To me they are funnest just going on a walk through the sage brush hunting jackrabbits and just plinking at stuff. I call the model 94 in 30-30 the high power option when it comes to jackrabbit hunting. I am so glad I bought a pre 64, model 94. the gun just has a soul to it. its got patina, the wood aint perfect, the bluing on the corners is worn a bit. all I gotta say is everyone needs at least one model 94 winchester.

Nothing wrong with that. Some of us just have better taste than others. Congratulations!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like my 1950's 94 in 32 Special. (1954, I think) I have a few Marlins. If I had to keep only one it would probably be that 32 Special.

Sure a guy can put a scope on a Marlin and the likely are more accurate. But that 94 is fast to get on target. I have Lyman aperture steel sights on my Marlins and a couple of the Winchesters, including that 32.

I have only shot them off the bench to sight them in. They are not bench guns. Shooting off hand, I doubt that I would know which is the most accurate. (That 1984 44 Mag is sweet too though.)

If I had a couple of seconds to shoot a deer, I think that 94 would be hard to beat.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I currently own a 1960 M94 32 Spl, 1992 M336 30-30, 1957 M99 308 and a 3 year old Henry 45-70.

My least favorite is the M94...I would sell it in a minute if I could come close to recovering what I have in it.

What makes it so attractive to some is its downfall for me...it is just too diminutive. I like to have something in my hands to hold onto and the M94 is just so, so tiny.

Don't get me wrong...nothing inherently wrong with the rifle. Just doesn't trip my trigger.

[Linked Image]

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think this all just goes to show how subjective this rifle love can be.

One man's pleasure is another man's pain.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got them both. I started out on the Winchester, and the Marlin will never feel right to me, but I like shooting both of them.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Youper
I've got them both. I started out on the Winchester, and the Marlin will never feel right to me, but I like shooting both of them.

I started out on the Marlin. And after getting a Winchester the Marlins have never felt right to me since. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 3030 marlin XLR. Cur down to 21"tube. Shoots sub moa

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis

for what you are doing with your gun, I think the 336 is quite a bit better. If I wanted scope mounting and max accuracy, 336 hands down. The problem for me is that will never be my use for a lever action. I have plenty of bolt guns that don't get the love they need already. I want fast handling and iron sights. I may even prefer buckhorn style sights too. I still haven't decided if I like the skinner/williams sights or buckhorn for my uses.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

for what you are doing with your gun, I think the 336 is quite a bit better. If I wanted scope mounting and max accuracy, 336 hands down. The problem for me is that will never be my use for a lever action. I have plenty of bolt guns that don't get the love they need already. I want fast handling and iron sights. I may even prefer buckhorn style sights too. I still haven't decided if I like the skinner/williams sights or buckhorn for my uses.
Aperture sights are more accurate and faster to use than buckhorns.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Aperture sights are more accurate and faster to use than buckhorns.

maybe but on the last outing hunting jack rabbits in the sage for me I might like the buckhorns better. I still haven't done it quite enough to say for sure. the buckhorns seem easier to line up the front and rear sight and hold it while swinging the gun. I do most definatly prefer the aperature if the target isn't moving. that is defiantly for sure. I have guns setup both ways so we will see what I connect with best, although jackrabbits aren't in abundance around me these days.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I enjoy hunting with my angle-eject 94 Legacy model. It's lighter and shoulders quicker than my Marlin 336A. This long barreled Marlin is fun to shoot tiny group clusters at the range but I never hunt with it.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never cared for aperture sights much.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You are quite obviously very ill! Could anyone really prefer the Winchester 94 over the Marlin 336??? Just joking! I like the lines of the Winchester 94 but find that the.Marlin 336 and the Marlin 1894 to fit my needs better. I do love packing one of my Marlin 94s more than the 336 because of the svelt (sic?) nature of the 94 vs. the 336. But to be perfectly honest I mess with the clean lines and the lightening fast feel of both by putting scopes on them. That one characteristic makes the Marlins really appeal to me. I know about the Angle Eject Winchesters but can't warm up to them. The lines of the Winchester just don't look right with a scope mounted on top. Maybe it's because I've always had scopes on my Marlins but they look natural there, IF it is not a large, high powered outfit. Whether we are talking about lever-actions or whatever, I hate it when people put huge scopes on short, light rifles! I hate it even worse if they have those confounded see-thru mounts! It is truly laughable to see a Marlin 30/30 with a 6-24x scope with a 50mm+ objective in see-thru mounts just to get the scope to clear the barrel! Such a conglomeration looks, to me, like a scope with a rifle attached to it. Well, I spilled my guts on that one so I'll shut up now...

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd take 1 70's Marlin in 35 Rem over a truckload of 94's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and a Mod. 94 in .44 mag. and a 94 Big Bore in .356 Win. I like them both but prefer the pistol grip stock on the Marlin because of recoil management. I also find the Marlins a bit easier to take apart and like the design of their action. My wife confiscated the little .44 mag. long ago and calls it her berry picking gun. I keep it loaded with 280 grain LBT hard casts. I doubt she will ever warm up to the .356 because of recoil.

A guy ought to have several of each in my opinion!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, there is just something about levers in a revolver cartridge. I really like the idea of a companion rifle.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A Marlin was my first deer rifle 55 years ago.
I still have a 336 in my safe.
No complaints on the Marlin.

But then, I wound up buying a great-shape 94 carbine three years ago. (1975 mfg)
That gun is so naturally “handy”, that it immediately became my favorite.

I like the 336,
But,
I love the 94.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

I don't think it's bad. I own a few Marlins, but will always prefer a 94 over a 336 platform. When I want a scoped lever, no problem as my 94 AE models work great, even though I'm not crazy about the rebounding hammer. Some people detest the AE models, but not me. Mine are pre safety.

My Marlins are big bore rifles. No flies on em, they work well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.