Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve always had a thing for single shots. I have an 1885 high-wall in 45-70 and used to have a No. 1A. I sold it, though I probably shouldn’t have, and have been wanting another. I have been looking for a Ruger No. 1-S in 30-06 because I thought I would like the 24 inch barrel and a little extra weight on that end.

Be careful what you wish for! I finally found one in mint condition on Gunbroker. I got it today, and was disappointed to find the barrel to be really heavy. Its easily thick enough to be bored .458. I guess I will use it with the irons, but noticed that the thicker barrel has the front sight post just a bit higher than my old 1A and I cant get my face low enough to achieve a proper sight picture.

I thought about a peep mounted on the quarter-rib like an NECG. I wonder if I’ll need a taller front sight? Does anyone have this rifle and use that sight? I’ve seen people post about needing a taller sight with the 1A. My 77/22 has a Williams and had to be fitted with a taller front. I just wonder since this barrel is thicker.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the same rifle and went to an XS sight. Started with an NECG ghost ring that fit in the scalloped scope base slots but it hung out over the sides too much for my taste, just too big and boxy looking on that slender rib. The XS is a touch wider than the rib but not by much. Both of them needed a taller front sight but the XS came with one the correct height.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pic of the front and rear sight. The front is definitely tall but the No. 1 comb is made for scope sights so with the taller rear sight you can look through the sights without having to really scrunch your cheek down hard on the comb.

[Linked Image]

I went with a Skinner on the next No. 1, a 1A in .250 Savage, and really prefer it over the NECG and the XS on this model. It blends in with the rib nicely and is still high enough to use with a comfortable cheek weld. Fwiw the NECG sight is a great fit on the Ruger 77.

Link to pic on Skinner web site

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if your disappointed with the Ruger #1 let me know ,i just might purchase this #1 from you ?thank you,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the same rifle (1S 30-06 with 24" barrel) - it is a bit 'chunky' but is a phenomenal shooter - one of my most accurate rifles. Mine came new in the box with machining marks on the barrel right below the barrel band sling stud which was a disappointment and will go back to Ruger some day to be refinished. I have a low powered variable on it so can't speak to the sight question, though I do have a Skinner peep sight on a 1H 450/400 NE.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pete53
if your disappointed with the Ruger #1 let me know ,i just might purchase this #1 from you ?thank you,Pete53

I’m going to try and make friends with it for a couple days and I’ll let you know.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I have the same rifle and went to an XS sight. Started with an NECG ghost ring that fit in the scalloped scope base slots but it hung out over the sides too much for my taste, just too big and boxy looking on that slender rib. The XS is a touch wider than the rib but not by much. Both of them needed a taller front sight but the XS came with one the correct height.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pic of the front and rear sight. The front is definitely tall but the No. 1 comb is made for scope sights so with the taller rear sight you can look through the sights without having to really scrunch your cheek down hard on the comb.

[Linked Image]

I went with a Skinner on the next No. 1, a 1A in .250 Savage, and really prefer it over the NECG and the XS on this model. It blends in with the rib nicely and is still high enough to use with a comfortable cheek weld. Fwiw the NECG sight is a great fit on the Ruger 77.

Link to pic on Skinner web site

Awesome looking rifle! I really appreciate the input.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice rifle, great wood.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think that Skinner sight would be just peachy on my 375 No 1 Tropical...

Cool.

FWIW, I put the NECG appropriate peep on rear Weaver scope block. Epoxied .225 ramp and all brass Skinner dove and the poi and group ended close enough to past set, to make me smile...now going to try with the peep on the front block..after holidays. NECG make a goody, to me, but I tend to shoot my rifles like I shoot shotguns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also FWIW - I have a new, never mounted Skinner for the No 1 sitting on my bench. Purchased for a project that went in another direction.

Willing to sell for 20% off the going price.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tarbe
Also FWIW - I have a new, never mounted Skinner for the No 1 sitting on my bench. Purchased for a project that went in another direction.

Which is now sold!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have No.1S medium (weight) in both 30/06 and 35 Whelen, however I’ve never had both outside of the safe at same time to compare heft. I will soon as I’m curious after reading these posts. I remember the (lighter) 35 Whelen feeling ‘perfect’ last time it was in hands.

Last edited by Alaninga; 01/14/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wanted something detachable so I grafted an X/S "Low Weaver Back-up" that I modified to a Burris Ruger to Weaver adapter, which I also heavily modified. The left attachment screw is loctited in place after sight in and the right attachment screw is replaced by a headless screw and a thumb nut, The front sight is an X/S flat top post with white stripe. I just got used to a front post sight in the military and I shoot better with it. This sight combination works real well. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by rj308; 01/14/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is real slick. Looks factory. Like the way it comes back over the receiver. You should make them and sell them, could be a pretty good cottage industry thing. You would think a manufacturer could come up with something like that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like that and would buy a couple if you decided to make and sell those...

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

Which is now sold!

Its pretty slick!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the NECG N100 with the large aperture on my 1A .303 and didn't have to replace the front site. Funny thing I had it out yesterday and shot two pigs at 70 and 90 metres by putting the front site right on them. It worked fine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
388 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 37 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.