Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya were pretty well covered then!! 🤣👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B6

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For out to 500 yards either are two peas in the same pod. I love my 338 Win Mag and have used it a lot, but don't claim it kills any better than a good 7mm bullet or even 270 bullet out to normal hunting/killing ranges.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Who cares what we NEED? I'm getting a .375 Ruger or .375 H&H to put to use as my "one and done gun". A 300gr TSX @ 2600 will kill a 100 lb Whitetail just as well as a Cape Buffalo. I've got a friend in Africa who is a PH, and he uses a .416 Rigby for everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was curious about actual recoil numbers from a couple of loads I used to shoot. My 165gr load in the .300WM made around 3,250fps with IMR 7828. My 210gr load in the .338WM made 2,900fps with Varget. Both generated right at 31lbs of recoil if using a 9lb rifle.

One was about high velocity and flat trajectory, the other was about a fair chunk of bullet at a still-respectable velocity. More than one way to skin a cat. Here's a comparison photo to illustrate the difference in what is being sent downrange. I still can't help but look at a 210TTSX in my hand and wonder why anybody would need more bullet to kill anything on this continent at a reasonable range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro
I was curious about actual recoil numbers from a couple of loads I used to shoot. My 165gr load in the .300WM made around 3,250fps with IMR 7828. My 210gr load in the .338WM made 2,900fps with Varget. Both generated right at 31lbs of recoil if using a 9lb rifle.

One was about high velocity and flat trajectory, the other was about a fair chunk of bullet at a still-respectable velocity. More than one way to skin a cat. Here's a comparison photo to illustrate the difference in what is being sent downrange. I still can't help but look at a 210TTSX in my hand and wonder why anybody would need more bullet to kill anything on this continent at a reasonable range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just a tip for ya. The 165 TTSX needs 1800 fps to expand. But the 168 only needs 1500. I have the email from Barnes I can show ya if you need verification.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 7point62mag
Who cares what we NEED? I'm getting a .375 Ruger or .375 H&H to put to use as my "one and done gun". A 300gr TSX @ 2600 will kill a 100 lb Whitetail just as well as a Cape Buffalo. I've got a friend in Africa who is a PH, and he uses a .416 Rigby for everything.

You are a bright young man! But, may want to step down to a 270 LRX......JMO! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd believe that, regarding the 168 needing less impact velocity to expand, as it is a bit longer in the nose. The 165 shown was mainly picked up for mag-length loads in the 308win.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

7point62mag
Curious. How much big game have you taken and what animals and locations?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yeah, that "pick a big gun and be one and done" gets old pretty quick if you like to shoot very much.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Yeah, that "pick a big gun and be one and done" gets old pretty quick if you like to shoot very much.

And if you hunt several spicies\locales it's nice to have choices too...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by 7point62mag

You are a bright young man! But, may want to step down to a 270 LRX......JMO! wink memtb

My post was more of a thing saying, don't listen to what others say you "need". Just shoot what you "want" and enjoy. Too many people worry about what others say they have to have, because this is too little or that is too big.

I really will be picking up a .375 of some flavor, that wasn't a joke. Andrias is bringing me over to tag along for awhile. He has a home in Colorado as well, so I get to hunt Elk with him when he is stateside.

As far as shooting a lot bothering you, I've set up a few .375's from the bench. The H&H is fun to shoot, it really is just a push. The .375 Ruger (without the brake) has quite a bit more bite to it, due to the higher pressures involved matching velocity in a smaller case. With the brake, I'd compare it to a heavy .30-06 load. Helping at my friends shop and range for 15 years, has allowed me to get a wide range of experience, trying different firearms. Some new just in, some trade ins, and some folks were just nice enough to let me shoot for waived range fees, or free ammo. I was not trying to give off a "macho" vibe, just sharing my opinion per my given experiences.

For the fella questioning my hunts. I love how when someone says something that the "frequent/regular" members dont agree with, the keyboard officials come out in droves throwing their yellow flags, blowing a whistle, and trying to see replays on the teleprompters.

Now, with a heavy heart i add, I may not be back to reply for awhile. I'm not running from questions. While I was writing the above, I was just told my first cousin just lost the battle with cancer that she had been fighting. She never once said "poor me", and had a smile on her face everyday. frown

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sorry to hear of your loss. It’s tough to lose a loved one, but during the holidays seems to make it worse! Again, my condolences for your loss! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sorry to hear this.. You have my sympathy!!

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Happy Birthday, Beretzs ! We are both December boys.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
7.62 - So sorry for your loss.
Get back with us ASAP.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just getting back home. Thanks for the thoughts fellas. I didn't mean to derail or completely kill the flow of someone's topic. My apologies for that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro
I'd believe that, regarding the 168 needing less impact velocity to expand, as it is a bit longer in the nose. The 165 shown was mainly picked up for mag-length loads in the 308win.

Up until this year, I've never hunted with a Barnes bullet. Trying their 180 TTSX this season, but haven't seen anything but young deer. Spot lighters screw everything up around here. I hate poachers!

Next season I plan to step down to the 168 for my .300 Win Mag. I've heard a lot of great reports on using that bullet in the .30 mags. I'm just learning that you can give up a little wait with a Monolithic bullet, because they shed ZERO weight. To think, I got the 180 TTSX because Choice Ammunition was currently out of stock of 200gr Accubonds. I've always shot heavy for caliber, and if I had been setup reloading or if the 200's had been in stock, I may never have tried Barnes otherwise, and never known how well they shoot.

I like the idea of the 168 in my .300, that is a flat shooting setup. I've seen great results using 168 bullets in .308 rigs that I setup for others.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
7point62mag, Be careful expounding the virtues of the Barnes Mono’s here. You will quickly be labeled as an “inbred”, “hair-lipped”, “water-head”, heretic! But, then these folks are trapped in the “dark ages”, still seeing the world as flat!!! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/04/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

Thanks buddy!

I am with the others, shoot what you like. We only have us to please.

And I thought all of you guys that shoot Barnes were crazies and hair lipped... whistle

You wouldn't wanna hear what they call guys who still like to hunt with the best bullet ever made for killing is, the Bitterroot Bonded Core... laugh

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

Thanks buddy!

I am with the others, shoot what you like. We only have us to please.

And I thought all of you guys that shoot Barnes were crazies and hair lipped... whistle

You wouldn't wanna hear what they call guys who still like to hunt with the best bullet ever made for killing is, the Bitterroot Bonded Core... laugh

Wouldn't that be the "Partition Posse" ?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
618 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 160user, 12savage, 63 invisible), 3,066 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,228
Posts18,371,199
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.