Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I had been looking at buying a pellet smoker for a year or three. Cost of the smoker and my wife not being fond of smoked food made me pull up short.

After a family Thanksgiving last week where various dishes came out of the smoker, I decided I'm gonna get one. I bought a used Traeger Elite 34 that had the update controller and two temperature probes. I gave $450 which included a hopper full of hickory pellets and a smoker cover.

I'm looking forward to using the smoker. Wife is very unhappy I got it. She's not listening to any of it.

Any advice on using a pellet smoker? Different woods? Pros and cons of my smoker?

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never noticed a difference in flavor between pellets and if you look at the ingredient mix it’s mostly oak anyway. It really isn’t much different than cooking in an oven, set your temperature and wait. Your not going to get the same results as the guys splitting wood and making coals but your not tied to it for 13 hours straight either.

Your wife will come around as it’s a lighter smoke flavor with the pellets as well. Have fun, that’s what I do.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah ditch the wife (I’m kidding).. my wife bought me pellet smoker last Friday.. did a pork shoulder on it and it turned out great. Can’t wsit to cook a brisket in it..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay, here is the bad part...

Traeger pellets are not what they claim. They are alder with all sorts of nasty schit additives to make it taste like different woods. Throw whatever pellets you have away. Unless they are alder...

If you cannot taste the difference in pellets cut off your head and throw it away. It obviously was not working anyway...

Originally Posted by flagstaff
I had been looking at buying a pellet smoker for a year or three. Cost of the smoker and my wife not being fond of smoked food made me pull up short.

After a family Thanksgiving last week where various dishes came out of the smoker, I decided I'm gonna get one. I bought a used Traeger Elite 34 that had the update controller and two temperature probes. I gave $450 which included a hopper full of hickory pellets and a smoker cover.

I'm looking forward to using the smoker. Wife is very unhappy I got it. She's not listening to any of it.

Any advice on using a pellet smoker? Different woods? Pros and cons of my smoker?

Simple fact is a box with shelves and a smoke source is not a difficult parameter to get over.

I suggest a batch of pastrami followed by a batch of smoked salmon...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My brother is the BBQ expert in the family, and yes he started out as a stick burner, like almost everyone else out there. He worked his way up, and for years competed on the Kansas City Barbecue Society Pro division (Holy Smokers BBQ Team). Whenever I had time, and close proximity, I would travel to a competition to help out and "sample" the product. His turn in boxes always looked amazing.....that stuff is on a whole different level!

That being said, he and my sister in law have moved more into the area of catering and event selling of BBQ. A blind man can notice that ALL the major competitors and professionals, usually use a pellet smoker of some variety. So, I went and purchased a "Pit Boss" 1000 about 3 months ago. With his instruction, I was turning out awesome, tender, moist, flavorful foods in no time. Pellet smokers are more forgiving, less intense work. The MAJORITY OF THE WORK IN BBQ IS PREPARATION! Now read that last part again, and again until it sinks in.

Buying quality meats and preparing them correctly will do more for your outcome than you ever imagined! Pitt Boss markets their own brand of pellets, and they have different varieties as well. I happen to like their "Competition Blend" pellets of Hickory Apple and Cherry I believe. You can purchase them from Walmart at $14.98 a 40# bag, and have them delivered.

I entered a local BBQ competition 3 weeks after buying the smoker, and ended up with three "Call's". Third Place Pork Rib's, Second Place Pork Butt, First Place brisket. I tell you that just to show you that even though I hadn't had much experience with a Pellet Smoker, they are extremely easy to use and produce quality results! Spending $90 on a Prime Brisket, you don't want to disappoint! There's a tremendous amount of knowledge out there online, just search for recipes you like and experiment....that's the only true way to get good at this craft!

Good Luck and enjoy!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Okay, here is the bad part...

Traeger pellets are not what they claim. They are alder with all sorts of nasty schit additives to make it taste like different woods. Throw whatever pellets you have away. Unless they are alder...

If you cannot taste the difference in pellets cut off your head and throw it away. It obviously was not working anyway...

Simple fact is a box with shelves and a smoke source is not a difficult parameter to get over.

I suggest a batch of pastrami followed by a batch of smoked salmon...

So what pellets do you recommend?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We cook with mesquite in Texas, in a real bbq pit. What is a pellet cooker?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lumber Jack pellets are what most use around here. Keep the smoker clean. A blanket helps stabilize temps. Here is a big one: If it goes out - DO NOT just restart it. You may end up with a big fire, peeled paint, and a fried grill. Tear it down and clean the excess pellets out of the pot. Then restart. Several times, my Traeger has gone out. The rep says that maybe it is the occasional long pellet. Regardless, the grill will then feed pellets until the pot has overflowed. If you just restart, it gets ugly fast.

As Frogman43 pointed out, at the few competitions that I have observed, the vast majority turned in food from a pellet grill. Ugly drums seem to be popular also. The big stick burners were for show and selling to the public. I used a New Braunfels Bandera for years. The switch to a pellet grill made me feel like I was cheating, but that passes quickly. Our own BYC beat it into my head to always use fresh spices. He is correct.

Lumber Jack Pellets

Last edited by 280shooter; 12/04/19.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Use real pellets and keep them dry until ready to use. Pellets grills are easy to use. I still use ours about once a week even after 5 years. Like said above, vacuum out ash occasionally.

I use mine for everything from jerky to turkey. Searing burgers or steaks isn't the pellet grill strong suit. Probably my favorite thing is tri-tip. Season the night before and turns out great every time.

Have fun!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had a Green Mtn Daniel Boone for a couple years. It works great. Smoking adds a lot of flavor to the T-day turkey. I just got an insulated blanket for it that I tried for the 1st time a couple days ago. It saves lot of pellets and heats up much faster for winter cooking.
If you have a Winco Foods near you, their pellets are about 1/2 the price of any others I've seen. Maybe I don't have good taste buds but I can't tell a difference in flavor between different types of wood.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
She probably does not like smoked foods because of too strong smoke flavors.

Shouldn't have too much of that with your pellet set up.

We don't use hickory.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used to purchase Pit Boss pellets from Menards for about $.50/lbs.

Hardware stores and places like Fleet Farm are about $1.00/lbs.

Now I purchase mine at the local Feed Store (Lumber Jack brand) for $12.00/40 pound sack.

I used a lot of Hickory, thought I would try something different, Pecan, won't do that again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like my pit boss!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Lumber Jack pellets are what most use around here. Keep the smoker clean. A blanket helps stabilize temps. Here is a big one: If it goes out - DO NOT just restart it. You may end up with a big fire, peeled paint, and a fried grill. Tear it down and clean the excess pellets out of the pot. Then restart. Several times, my Traeger has gone out. The rep says that maybe it is the occasional long pellet. Regardless, the grill will then feed pellets until the pot has overflowed. If you just restart, it gets ugly fast.

Lumber Jack Pellets

My Traeger has gone out twice while on the "smoke" setting for 3 hours on an over night pork shoulder cook. And two more times when I have reduced the temp on the dial. I've never had a problem when increasing temp. It happens when the temp gets too low.

As 280 said, if it happens do not try to restart without cleaning it out first. Also, and this is obvious but do not vacuum out the fire pot until the pellets are cool. I've heard of people doing that and next thing you know their garage is on fire from a burning shop vac. Scoop them out or wait until they are cool.

Traegar pellets are only like 20% of the wood they say they are on the bag. So like 20% cherry and 80% oak or some other hardwood. I think that is why most (including me) can't tell the difference in taste. You can buy 100% cherry, apple, hickory etc. pellets if you do some research. **Edit** the Lumber Jack pellets that 280 posted fit that bill.

Another tip: Don't waste your money on the Traeger brand insulated blanket. A $20 welding blanket from Menards works very well because you can layer it to the width of your smoker and bungee strap the bottom using the rings in the blanket.

Last edited by Rooster7; 12/04/19.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
She probably does not like smoked foods because of too strong smoke flavors.

Shouldn't have too much of that with your pellet set up.

We don't use hickory.

Tell me more about all that hickory up there?

hahaha

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its in bags next to the Hawaiian Punch you dummy!

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pellet smokers are "P.T. Barnum Specials"- - - -there's a sucker born every minute! A regular 4-burner gas grill, a $10.00 stainless steel smoke tube from Ebay and a bag of hickory pellets from Walmart does exactly the same thing. I smoke two Boston butts at a time in my gas grill, 12 hours at 250 degrees until the meat reaches an internal temp of 190-200 degrees, and they come out perfect. That's usually with two of the four burners on, turned down as low as possible and the meat suspended off the bottom of the drip catch pan with a wire grate.

I started tending the commercial smoker pit at my grandmother's restaurant in Nashville in 1962, so this ain't my first pig roast!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

LOL

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Bags? Hrrmmmph!!

Ain't she a beauty Clark??

How many bags ya think are in her? 🌳🌳🌿🐿

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You could smoke yourself retarded with this one shagbark. 😄

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
196 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.