Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by jwall
Happy Birthday, Beretzs ! We are both December boys.

Jerry

Thanks buddy!

I am with the others, shoot what you like. We only have us to please.

And I thought all of you guys that shoot Barnes were crazies and hair lipped... whistle

You wouldn't wanna hear what they call guys who still like to hunt with the best bullet ever made for killing is, the Bitterroot Bonded Core... laugh

grin

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B6

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by memtb
7point62mag, Be careful expounding the virtues of the Barnes Mono’s here. You will quickly be labeled as an “inbred”, “hair-lipped”, “water-head”, heretic! But, then these folks are trapped in the “dark ages”, still seeing the world as flat!!! grin memtb

I wish I could ignore my poor experience with Barnes bullets.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm curious. Was your poor experience with current products or early-years stuff? I've had pretty good luck with the TTSX, but nothing is perfect.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by peeshooter
7point62mag, Be careful expounding the virtues of the Barnes Mono’s here. You will quickly be labeled as an “inbred”, “hair-lipped”, “water-head”, heretic! But, then these folks are trapped in the “dark ages”, still seeing the world as flat!!! grin memtb

I wish I could ignore my poor experience with Barnes bullets.

Me too...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve used both a good bit but admit my experience with the 338 is not as long or extensive as with the 300. In similar rifles the 300 kicks less IME, and is a flatter shooting round. Before the days of BDC reticles and scope dialing this was important, maybe not so much today. I’ve used both calibers on enough species and conditions to feel there isn’t much difference in killing power, so I eventually dropped the 338 and have never regretted the decision. When I’ve carried one of my 300s I’ve never wished for something else, can’t say that about any other cartridge. In NA it has handled everything short of brown bear with no issues at all, and in Africa it worked perfectly on all sizes of plains game plus leopard. My old friend Allen Day even shot 2 buffalo with his after his 458 went haywire.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I did the 300 to 375 choice but many very experienced hunters are fans of the 33's as their main rifle. Others say not enough difference to tell between a 300 and 33, I do think there is a difference between a 30 and 375 at least in reaction to the shot. The larger calibers are usually more reliable in producing a blood trail if one is needed. But this depends largely on shot placement and bullet performance.

A 300 I can go for about a box of shells the 338 less but the 375 may be even more tolerable than the 300s. The 340 Weatherby is over my recoil tolerance level for any sustained shooting. Varies with stock fit and weight so this is just a general observation for my tolerances.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thanks buddy!

And I thought all of you guys that shoot Barnes were crazies and hair lipped... whistle

You wouldn't wanna hear what they call guys who still like to hunt with the best bullet ever made for killing is, the Bitterroot Bonded Core... laugh

Yes Indeed. I've said this before and it's true. I have an irrational affection for the 300 WM. I've always liked the looks of the loaded round. I've always been impressed with 180 gr. bullets at 3100 fps ( at least ).
And the 200s ain't far behind.

I'm glad to read so many here (hear blush) share my 'likin' for the 300 WM. I don't care WHAT... WHO says about it, I like it!!

Also I've had a real respect for the B B C even tho I've never fired one. They ARE/WERE good.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/04/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I ordered some of those Bitterroot Bonded Cores from a friend on the fire, they were lost in the mail and we never recovered them... Made me sad as I really wanted to use them..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Hey, I just tell it how I see it. I'd be more concerned with people paying ridonkulous prices for things like Cutting Edge Bullets. Those are the people to be concerned about lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 7point62mag
I'm just learning that you can give up a little weight with a Monolithic bullet, because they shed ZERO weight.

That is the point the old-timers miss. They think that when you switch to a copper mono bullet, it should be the same weight as their traditional lead bullet. Such thinking then means the copper bullet is shot slow, which gives up a lot of its performance potential, both in trajectory and terminal performance.

Indeed, the mono bullet doesn't shed weight. If you want a 150gn bullet to pass through your animal, a copper bullet need only start at 150gn. However a lead bullet needs to start at 200gn, because it is going to immediately start shedding weight upon impact. By going down in weight, you pick up speed, which gives better trajectory and better killing power.

Bottom line: you can easily go down to a 150gn bullet in your 300WM. Fast, flat, and deadly!

JMHO

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I ordered some of those Bitterroot Bonded Cores from a friend on the fire, they were lost in the mail and we never recovered them... Made me sad as I really wanted to use them..

I got lucky, cause a couple folks like Bob and RinB were able to stock me up pretty well and I did decent searching a few online places. Got a decent stash of ones I know I’ll use. If you have have a certain cartridge in mind, let me know and I’ll send you some. I don’t mind sharing a few. I don’t shoot groups with them, I just work up my load with a Partition, match speed with the BBC and fire a group at 300 with the Partitions and a BBC. So far it’s been pretty easy.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by shinbone
I'm just learning that you can give up a little weight with a Monolithic bullet, because they shed ZERO weight.

That is the point the old-timers miss. They think that when you switch to a copper mono bullet, it should be the same weight as their traditional lead bullet. Such thinking then means the copper bullet is shot slow, which gives up a lot of its performance potential, both in trajectory and terminal performance.

Indeed, the mono bullet doesn't shed weight. If you want a 150gn bullet to pass through your animal, a copper bullet need only start at 150gn. However a lead bullet needs to start at 200gn, because it is going to immediately start shedding weight upon impact. By going down in weight, you pick up speed, which gives better trajectory and better killing power.

Bottom line: you can easily go down to a 150gn bullet in your 300WM. Fast, flat, and deadly!

JMHO

Shinbone, those are excellent and undeniable points until you start shooting beyond 500 yards.....then a somewhat heavier bullet with a better BC starts to come into it’s own!

Not a point of contention, but......at what point does one become an “old timer”? wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwall

Thanks buddy!

Yes Indeed. I've said this before and it's true. I have an irrational affection for the 300 WM. I've always liked the looks of the loaded round. I've always been impressed with 180 gr. bullets at 3100 fps ( at least ).
And the 200s ain't far behind.

I'm glad to read so many hear share my 'likin' for the 300 WM. I don't care WHAT... WHO says about it, I like it!!

Also I've had a real respect for the B B C even tho I've never fired one. The ARE/WERE good.

Jerry

.300 Win Mag is my all-time favorite. Closely followed by the .338 Win Mag. My .30-375R might take them over though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not a point of contention, but......at what point does one become an “old timer”? wink memtb

I'm wondering about this too. I'm 38, and my body feels 68.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they shed ZERO weight.

Indeed, the mono bullet doesn't shed weight.

Internet myth.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shinbone

JMHO

No. Do you base this on experience or?

Last edited by smallfry; 12/04/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I got lucky, cause a couple folks like Bob and RinB were able to stock me up pretty well and I did decent searching a few online places. Got a decent stash of ones I know I’ll use. If you have have a certain cartridge in mind, let me know and I’ll send you some. I don’t mind sharing a few. I don’t shoot groups with them, I just work up my load with a Partition, match speed with the BBC and fire a group at 300 with the Partitions and a BBC. So far it’s been pretty easy.

Happy birthday and thanks for your service brother man!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Where are you guys getting ole Billy's bullets? Were they actually any good?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I'm wondering about this too. I'm 38, and my body feels 68.

I'm FIXIN to turn 70 ! > hint < shocked

you gotta ways to go..... get after it. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman

Happy birthday and thanks for your service brother man!!

Hey bro, thank you, appreciate that!

Where are you guys getting ole Billy's bullets? Were they actually any good?

Those bullets probably haven't been made in about 15-20 years. As far as how good they are, depends on who you ask I guess. I treat them like I was taught by Bob, shoot them fast, through fast twist guns that run them hard and they are WICKED game bullets. They will not lose more than a few grains weight no matter what you shoot them in. The bonding, copper and lead used to build them was first class. Bob said you cannot drive them too fast and I believe them. I have fired 132 grain bullets out of my 7mm Mashburn at 3600 and they came out about as perfect as they come, holding onto nearly a 3/4" frontal area while only shedding 10-15 grains of weight loss.

I have been using the 175's out of an 8 twist Mashburn recently and the wound channels are unreal. Like a Berger or AMax but you would usually find a balled up bullet in the far side. That big frontal area will usually limit it in exits on heavy hided animals like elk, but to be honest, I don't care. I have had more one shot DRT's on chest his with BBC's than with anything else.

They aren't boattail match bullets though, so most folks wouldn't shoot them today if they could. For me, I like them, they work at the 0-500 ranges I hunt in. They shoot like a Partition so I usually load 10 BBC's and 20 Partitions when I go hunting and come home with 9 BBC's most times and all the Partitions. Sorry for the long rant, but if you find them, buy them, I will always take them. A 100 BBC's will last me a long time. I could probably use 20 of them to figure out my load and have 15 left to kill with. But again, I am not shooting steel with them or stuff like that, they just get planted into fur.

Semper Fi
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.