Hop To
T
Tahnka Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Howdy,

In the "age of aluminum" (shafts), Mckenzie targets were always my choice due to their realism and attention to detail. Since the re-formulation of the foam in 3d targets to allow for extraction of carbon shafts (or at least I THINK this is when it happened), why is there no longer a manufacturer that constructs animal targets that have even the vaguest resemblance to actual animals?

All offerings now, including "Delta Mckenzie" look like poorly cobbled cartoons. Heads and bodies entirely out of proportion, silly facial expressions, body shapes that follow no lines of natural flow, etc.

Pretty darn disappointing. I used to have a quite respectable 3d course on my property. Looking at reconstructing it, but I don't want it looking like a collection of Saturday morning characters.

Any explanation? Who's got the inside skinny on this?

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Rinehart.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WTM45
Rinehart.

Pretty much as good as it gets.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Tahnka Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Just reviewed their webpage: Rinehart's offerings illustrate precisely what I am talking about. Sunday funnies, not even close to an accurate representation as the old Mckenzie targets were. My suspicion is that the new foam does not allow for such detail, but that does not excuse not even a "try" by the sculptors.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tahnka
Just reviewed their webpage: Rinehart's offerings illustrate precisely what I am talking about. Sunday funnies, not even close to an accurate representation as the old Mckenzie targets were. My suspicion is that the new foam does not allow for such detail, but that does not excuse not even a "try" by the sculptors.

Then snap a picture of the animals you want as targets and shoot at those! You either can put the arrow where it needs to be or can not! A target is a target, you either know the kill zones or do not. A life like imagine isn't going to change that!

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Funny Deer don't seem to know the difference. Had a few deer try to fight and hump my 3D Rinehart targets.

https://www.rinehart3d.com/3d-targets/deer-targets/

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
R&W makes the best and most realistic 3D targets IMO.

T
Tahnka Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
SFCSNOW: Thanks for that. (RealWild targets). Head and shoulders (pun intended) above the rest.

Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I see the resemblance smile smile smile I guess Center Mass is the heart??????

https://bigshottargets.com/product/coyote/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bwhahahahaha,

LOL. Phouc.

grin

I'm with you, MCH !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If I'm remembering correctly,McKenzie was derived from their taxidermy forms. I too had a nice personal 3D course back in the 90s. They were nice targets.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,014
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.