Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Starts Saturday for me. Unit 48 New Mexico near Angel Fire. I hope to get some good tracking snow.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good luck, I was supposed to go on one last year, then again this year, the guy [inviter] went kind of goofy on me, guess I said something to hurt his feelers. crazy

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Good luck to you. I will be near Raton in January.

Hope I don't get too much tracking snow.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No no no! Snow is great, the deeper the better. If you haven't hunted elk with snowshoes you are missing a tremendous way to hunt.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, there was plenty snow. Had to dig the truck out three times. Could not get into any of the areas I wanted to hunt. I needed snow shoes but didn't have any. Hiking away from the truck was tough. In spite of it all I did see six elk but was unable to get a clear shot of any of them. Over all, I had a good time, stayed warm and dry, and managed to keep my drinking water from freezing up. Being my first elk hunt and first time to hunt in snow I am not too disappointed. I would really like to hunt that area again in an earlier season. If I do another late season hunt I will have snow shoes and a snowmobile.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by boliep

Good luck to you. I will be near Raton in January.

Hope I don't get too much tracking snow.

Are you gonna be on the Vermejo hunting with Kiowa? My hunt will start the 6th of January. It'll be my 7th hunt on the Vermejo.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
prairie dog,
Don't fight the snow - let it work for you. An approaching storm gets them up and feeding all day sometimes. Get some aluminum snowshoes and stout walking sticks with snow cups on the bottom. Glass at sunup if you dont' know the country or just trying to spot a herd and get a pattern of two established. Once spotted, make a plan to use the wind and cover. At very early dawn, they will be out in the open pawing through the snow to get to the grass. If no one bothers them, they will eat, bed, get up and eat again. If they get pushed or just want some more security the cow will take 'em up the mountain to a bedding spot. Unless you know that area intimately, leave 'em alone and set up for the afternoon migration down to the same grazing area. Plan for the wind and get into cover that gives you options to adjust your position. I bring at least a large pack with clothing options to maintain my comfort. Sometimes a stove to make some coffee and a freeze-dried meal. I hunt alone now so take precautions to be safe and have a charged cell phone.
Its the best big game hunt in the lower 48 other than a good grouse dog in northern Minnesota.

Looking forward to my 20th season in northern NM if I can get away in late Jan.. Too bad its a liberal State...............

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/13/19.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am researching snow shoes and chains for the truck. Want to be more prepared for next time.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On snowshoes, don't get anything made of wood. I have three pair but they have become somewhat of a collector's items. The lightweight aluminum style are great with their adjustable harnesses. Make sure they will adjust large enough for your pac boots. They will be sized to fit your weight. Don't forget poles to help keep your balance. You never know what is under the snow until you put your weight on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I have found snowshoes, of any make or style to be largely useless this early in the season, especially if you're in powder. You'll need a solid base of crusty snow on or near the top or else you'll just push the snowshoe all the way to the ground or to wherever the base is, and this early that is often only 6 inches or less from the ground. Then after each step, you'll lift all the snow that "fell in" back out, making the hiking much tougher.

They're awesome for crossing big residual drifts in shady areas when spring bear hunting, or crossing the drifted up areas on the leeward side of hilltops, but I have found very few other hunting uses for them.

YMMV but I wouldn't be counting on snowshoes to be that big of a help next elk season.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was in 15 to 18 inches of crusty snow. Walking through it was laborious and noisy.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i540.photobucket.com]

Chains are awesome. About the only thing that will stop you is getting high centered.. which is what crusty snow is good at. Take a handyman jack for when this happens. Just put the jack lip in the receiver and lift it up, throw some stumps or whatever under the tires and back out of it. Without that jack you’ll be a miserable wet mess by the time you clear it with a shovel.

Also if you find yourself having to do this, removing the tailgate before jacking it up is a good precautionary measure..

Last edited by rosco1; 12/16/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very true, rosco! We actually found a Handyman and a chain this year near a nasty hole someone had dug into. They were about 50' apart, so I'm not sure if things went bad, the owner got pissed or if they were just forgotten.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1

Chains are awesome. About the only thing that will stop you is getting high centered.. which is what crusty snow is good at. Take a handyman jack for when this happens. Just put the jack lip in the receiver and lift it up, throw some stumps or whatever under the tires and back out of it. Without that jack you’ll be a miserable wet mess by the time you clear it with a shovel.

Also if you find yourself having to do this, removing the tailgate before jacking it up is a good precautionary measure..

Good advice....especially concerning the removal of the tailgate.

BTDT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maxtrax are $300 well spent when in snow...

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Jacks are hell on backup cameras.

Keeping a 2’X2’ “mud pad” of double 3/4” plywood with the jack is a life saver as well.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by rosco1

Good advice....especially concerning the removal of the tailgate.

BTDT.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I usually carry a stack of those plastic trailer levelers. Maxtrax look handy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I was in 15 to 18 inches of crusty snow. Walking through it was laborious and noisy.

In that kind of snow then I'll withdraw my earlier comments.
Good luck next year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had our NM muzzleloader cow elk hunt last weekend. There was no snow in Unit 17 but it was very windy. I got mine in just over an hour first morning in thick stuff at around 60 yds. DRT. A friend got his mid day on second day with a 275 yd shot! I was on a high ridge watching the stalk. That cow tumbled down a steep slope for at least 70 yds.

First time muzzleloader hunting really enjoyed it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 275 yard shot with a muzzleloader is a hell of a shot. Especially in very windy conditions.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
204 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.