Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
She probably does not like smoked foods because of too strong smoke flavors.

Shouldn't have too much of that with your pellet set up.

We don't use hickory.

Tell me more about all that hickory up there?

hahaha

Jim you ain't usin' then pelletized buffler patties from the Rez are you?

Compressed wheat straw?

We all know there ain't much wood up that way.

Geno

PS Hawai'ian Punch, Tang, Kool Aide, all the same stuff just a different color and packaging, right?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I will echo the above posts on restarting without cleaning out the burn pot. I have a Pit Boss and, if I ever when I buy another, it will have a burn pot that can be cleaned/dumped without tearing the grill apart! Also I would get one that the hopper can be dumped. Mine will go out occasionally when using the lowest settings and I made the mistake once of restarting without cleaning. Flame on!! I've also had the pellets burn back up the auger into the hopper which can cause some excitement too! So far the one I've found with those two features is the Camp Chef brand. Good look at those features here:

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
She probably does not like smoked foods because of too strong smoke flavors.

Shouldn't have too much of that with your pellet set up.

We don't use hickory.

Tell me more about all that hickory up there?

hahaha

Jim you ain't usin' then pelletized buffler patties from the Rez are you?

Compressed wheat straw?

We all know there ain't much wood up that way.

Geno

PS Hawai'ian Punch, Tang, Kool Aide, all the same stuff just a different color and packaging, right?

shopko might only have that knockoff brand, I sense his passive aggression and jealousy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by frogman43

I entered a local BBQ competition 3 weeks after buying the smoker, and ended up with three "Call's". Third Place Pork Rib's, Second Place Pork Butt, First Place brisket. I tell you that just to show you that even though I hadn't had much experience with a Pellet Smoker, they are extremely easy to use and produce quality results! Spending $90 on a Prime Brisket, you don't want to disappoint! There's a tremendous amount of knowledge out there online, just search for recipes you like and experiment....that's the only true way to get good at this craft!

Good Luck and enjoy!

frog, happy for your success.

But therein lies the rub......................due to the popularity and ease of use, them dang 'every man should own one" pellet smokers have every Billy Bob and their uncles smokin' briskets and such and drove the price up on what used to be an economy cut. Now a regular Joe can't hardly afford one.

Used to be nice when real men used a shell from an old fridge, a charcoal bowl from an old burnt out Smokey Joe, and some chunks of real wood to smoke cheap cuts and fish.

Along with the TV cooking shows increasing the popularity of flank steak, I can't get the cheaper cuts I used to. Same with tongue.

As long as liver remains unpopular I'll at least have something I like to eat that I can afford on a fixed income.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tmitch
I will echo the above posts on restarting without cleaning out the burn pot. I have a Pit Boss and, if I ever when I buy another, it will have a burn pot that can be cleaned/dumped without tearing the grill apart! Also I would get one that the hopper can be dumped. Mine will go out occasionally when using the lowest settings and I made the mistake once of restarting without cleaning. Flame on!! I've also had the pellets burn back up the auger into the hopper which can cause some excitement too! So far the one I've found with those two features is the Camp Chef brand. Good look at those features here:

Interesting. I like those two features on the Camp Chef, a lot.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a dang nice hickory tree there.

When I moved back west from PA I made sure to bring me a few chunks of hickory. That was at the turn of this century (I'm not as old as some on here) so it's long gone now.

My preferred is alder.

Geno

In it is contentment

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by flagstaff
I had been looking at buying a pellet smoker for a year or three. Cost of the smoker and my wife not being fond of smoked food made me pull up short.

After a family Thanksgiving last week where various dishes came out of the smoker, I decided I'm gonna get one. I bought a used Traeger Elite 34 that had the update controller and two temperature probes. I gave $450 which included a hopper full of hickory pellets and a smoker cover.

I'm looking forward to using the smoker. Wife is very unhappy I got it. She's not listening to any of it.

Any advice on using a pellet smoker? Different woods? Pros and cons of my smoker?

The wood taste of a Traeger grill is mild at best. Nothing like a old fashioned smoker where you have to keep it stoked with hardwoods.

The latter gives a better flavor in my opinion, but the former is much easier to use, as long as it works correctly.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hmmmm. Pellets you say...

Does the Traeger come with those cool jeans?

Attached Images
Last edited by kelbro; 12/04/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
weber is coming out with their first pellet grill, if buying again I think I would get the weber pellet smoker, so far the traeger is idiot proof.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kelbro
Hmmmm. Pellets you say...

Does the Traeger come with those cool jeans?

laugh

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
weber is coming out with their first pellet grill, if buying again I think I would get the weber pellet smoker, so far the traeger is idiot proof.

Yes, I will be keeping my eye on the new Weber pellet ovens and curious what kind of reviews they will receive

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most BBQ around here is smoked with either hickory or oak. Personally, I don't care for a lot of smoke on the meat that I cook myself on the Bradley Smoker.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've got a Bradley and a Vision Kamado charcoal. I like the Bradley for set-it-and-forget-it, but find it's a PITA to clean afterwards.

The Kamado takes a lot of time so I trot it out when I've got a slow day. Had an offset but found the charcoal side was too small and I was reloading every hour.

So, I am thinking of getting rid of the Bradley for a pellet grill. Seems like cleanup would be a lot simpler.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I've got a Bradley and a Vision Kamado charcoal. I like the Bradley for set-it-and-forget-it, but find it's a PITA to clean afterwards.

The Kamado takes a lot of time so I trot it out when I've got a slow day. Had an offset but found the charcoal side was too small and I was reloading every hour.

So, I am thinking of getting rid of the Bradley for a pellet grill. Seems like cleanup would be a lot simpler.

Yeah, I hate the cleanup afterwards. I'm looking at a Pit Boss Series 5. Don't need anything fancy. If I lived closer to Slumlord, I'd just let him do my BBQ'ing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've heard no complaints from the Pit Boss owners that I know.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Yes, I will be keeping my eye on the new Weber pellet ovens and curious what kind of reviews they will receive

I really like the features on the Weber too, but the price tag is pretty hefty. $1,000-1200

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=NwGN72jFjL4&feature=emb_logo[/video]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I hear ya on the Weber. Remember Weber makes stuff higher quality than others and the new traegers are running about that

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tmitch

It's like a wiener tucking contest, but gayer...

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the Traegers are running more than $1500.

LOL
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Have you considered a real bbq pit? Built this for son in law about ten years ago

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 12/05/19.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.