Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
To each his own, but I don't want my finely crafted ammo banged up or adding weight to a rifle that I obsessed with shedding weight.

Leather shellholder on my belt or folding holder in a pocket.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

I could very well end up going that route myself. I’ll probably try it several ways to determine what works best for me.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I carry extra rounds in one of the old federal plastic holders and covered. Can't see spending all the effort trying to load perfect bullets then shove a dirty or dust covered one in the action. Covered stock pack might work.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Another Allen user here. I used to shoot a 300 WSM. With those wide cases, I had to leave every 3d hole in the shellholder empty. There wasn't room to fill them all. They also stretch the elastic and after a few years, it won't hold the cases securely. They work great on a 308/30-06 size case which includes most of the popular rounds used today.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
If you need that many rounds to put down an animal, you should be asking different questions.

Some of us may be looking to shoot more than one animal. I've had many, many occasions where I've shot several in quick succession. Culling pigs for example, I've often shot more than my magazine holds before the mob's got away, stuffing additional rounds in to get the stragglers.

I've also had occasion to cull buffalo with a double rifle, and often hunt with it or a single shot, combination or drilling. For all these purposes I think that the ammunition carrier on the butt of the rifle is invaluable. It is handy and fast to get additional rounds and, unlike some belt-mounted types, you aren't likely to damage the rifle on it.

I usually just use the elastic type - Allen I think. They seem to work well. I make a small hole for the rear swivel stud, which seems to hold them in place, and I've never had an issue with rounds falling out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another point lost on some, is some states don't allow any ammo in the gun, chamber or magazine, when being transported.

I typically use a Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum sling with the four shell loops. Those rounds go in the gun and the six in the butt stock are extras, all for when I need to bail out of the truck, grab the gun, and take off, most generally Wile-E-Coyote is involved.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
With my 35 wheeler single shot crack barrel master blaster encore i carry extra in a leather shell holder in my pocket. Holds 5 rounds.

If you think you’re gonna be in a flurry, take it out and have it handy.

Reminds me of ,y younger days, guy i hunted with carried a double barrel shotgun. On deer drives he carried 2 extra rounds between his fingers.

No mistaking when he showered down with 4 shots.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by renegade50
Good on a H&R USH 20 gauge.
Just wish i woulda yanked one out and double tapped Lazarus back in 08 to make sure.....
Fugg...
Cup of coffee and 2 smokes looking at him "dead" 75 yds away.
Got up took 3 or 4 steps
Mofo rose up like the undertaker and hauled ass.
Quartering away intially , pretty sure I 1 lunged him glancing angle
No blood on ground side where he was laying
Hornady SST slugs suck they dont drive thru...JMO...
Stupid thing back when i was worried about fugging backstraps and schit.

Trailed that deer for 7 or 800 yds.
Hide and fat probably flexing over the wound.
Totally lost the weak blood trail.
Had ta give up.

Wish i had yanked a shell outta the holder that morning and drove one into the big ole white patch on his chest facing me when he was down.
Worried about back straps and meat.....

Fugg that schit anymore.....

I hear ya! Lesson learned.

I got tired of losing deer because they left my property when tracking so me and the boy started shooting them directly in the shoulders several years back and we have recovered everyone since(knock on wood). We are wasting more meat for sure but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes! Occasionally they even require a 2nd shot but at least they don’t go anywhere and we get the opportunity to put them down for good. I’ve had too many double lunged deer run a good ways and leave my little 80ac patch that we had to make the adjustment.

I hunt by the property line, I shoulder shoot too. If they jump the fence, they are gone.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A grab & go rifle, a truck gun, many reasons to have rifle & ammo, plus maybe a couple other do dads in one place. I like the concept & its been handy for me a few times.
Elastic stuff hasn't served me, a zippered pouch does a better job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Reminds me of ,y younger days, guy i hunted with carried a double barrel shotgun. On deer drives he carried 2 extra rounds between his fingers.

Similar story, a couple old farts around here years ago would be driving all over God's creation road hunting for pheasants every fall.

Whenever you met them on the road the driver would flash a wave with a 12 gauge round betwixt his fingers.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't like them on the butt stock, prefer to keep extras in my pocket. They get wet in the rain and it's not overly comfortable for those times you have to shoot from the wrong shoulder.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Im primarily a coyote hunter, but chase a deer now and again. No matter what Im after, my ritual is always the same, had the habit for 40 years and it has never changed...….three down in the magazine, five in front pocket of my Wrangler jeans.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use them, but don't recall ever needing to use a center-fire cartridge, only shotgun shells from the elastic carriers on Savage 24 combination guns. I don't leave them on wooden stocks year 'round, just on synthetic stocks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
god made left shirt pockets just for this reason....

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
If you need that many rounds to put down an animal, you should be asking different questions.

Indeed!! One shot should do it, otherwise you need more range time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have heard that before.
Enjoyed the hell out of it when the goat rope rope circus came to town.
Three different baggy types, two with elk, ended up begging rounds
and finishing an elk. Lucky help was available.

The other was...a turkey.
Guy only needed 1 round, he took 3.
Knocked it down, a couple times.
Chased it until he couldnt chase anymore.

I always like,
More power,
More money,
More ammo,
More clothes than I need.
Don't have to use them.
F'd if you need them and don't have them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of these for a Savage 24V 30-30/12 gauge, was able to get one in LH.
I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YIXG2HU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I normally carry my spares in a stripper clip in my pocket. If I'm using my Israeli Mauser I could even feed straight from the clip into the mag - but this never happens while out hunting but I am hopeful of running into a mob of pigs one day to give it a go. I can pull as many rounds as I need at the time from the clip and it works for 308, 8mm, 30/06 etc sized rounds. They stop the rattle of loose rounds in the pocket.

When I used to shoot Big Game Rifle matches I'd use a butt-stock ammo pouch on my left forearm to hold those rounds needed to complete that match event - works great for bolt guns and doubles without scopes.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 12/04/19.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

My son uses one of these. Good option for coyote hunting, etc. so don't let all the poo-pooers stop you from trying one out.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Plenty.jpg (56.62 KB, 73 downloads)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.