Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I spent about six weeks with a Mk V deluxe in 340 Wea one time. Four different bullets, three different primers, four different powders, the best she would do was three moa.

A new SS barrel from Pac-Nor cured it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Idaho Shooter - I spent a similar amount of effort on a beautiful 300 WBY that I just couldn't get to shoot better than 3-4 MOA, and 3 MOA have been luck. It wasn't scope issues either. I assumed it was stock torque or barrel issues, as the stock was out of this world pretty. I was a Mark 5 action and Zeiss 3-9 scope FWIW.

On the other hand, I have spent time behind a lot more Weatherbys that flat shot fantastic. I like the new direction of the company and love that they moved to WY.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I shot a large black bear with my ..338 & 210 partition @ 2900. Running away hit him in the azz and we found the bullet in his jaw!!!

.338 210 wicked bullet.

Lefty

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Just like any other manufacturer, getting a bad Mark V happens occasionally.

On the other hand, the MIJ MK V varmintmaster in 22-250 which I purchased in '79 shot little bugholes with most bullets but especially the 60 gr Hornady sp over 34.3 gr IMR 3031.

I have had a couple of crappy Rem 700s and a model 7 which did not impress. I have had lights out accurate Rugers and crappy Rugers. So far, knock on wood, 3 very accurate Win bolt rifles.

I have a Rem 700 coming right now, I am hoping it breaks my string of bad luck with the brand.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shortside
Idaho Shooter - I spent a similar amount of effort on a beautiful 300 WBY that I just couldn't get to shoot better than 3-4 MOA, and 3 MOA have been luck. It wasn't scope issues either. I assumed it was stock torque or barrel issues, as the stock was out of this world pretty. I was a Mark 5 action and Zeiss 3-9 scope FWIW.

On the other hand, I have spent time behind a lot more Weatherbys that flat shot fantastic. I like the new direction of the company and love that they moved to WY.

We yours and Idaho's new or used rifles? If used, the barrels were probably shot out. If new, Weatherby would have made it right. I've probably owned over a dozen or more in my life and all have been sub half MOA and that's anoshit....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The one I was working with belonged to a friend. His wife bought it used as a present for him. He asked me to develop a good load for it, mount a Vortex PST 6-24x50, and sight it in.

And yes she did foul quite badly with each twenty shots. I put about 200 full throttle loads through it, and cleaned it to bare steel about ten times before giving up and suggesting a new barrel.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by shortside

We yours and Idaho's new or used rifles? If used, the barrels were probably shot out. If new, Weatherby would have made it right. I've probably owned over a dozen or more in my life and all have been sub half MOA and that's anoshit....

Just curious, how do you define "sub half MOA?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jorge,
I’d probably still go with the 210s, but it’s your call as you’re the one doing the shooting! If I really wanted to pick the winner, I’d shoot a 10 shot group with each one and let that answer the question. Either one will do all that needs doing on any moose or bear as far away as you’d care to shoot them.

Last edited by John55; 12/04/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've owned several Weatherby mark v's and several more Weatherby chambered Remingtons. None of them shot that great and two went back to weatherby.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
. I put about 200 full throttle loads through it, .

That explains a lot....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

Just curious, how do you define "sub half MOA?"

Why do I get the feeling this is a loaded question? It's math and you're a smart guy, but maybe pics will help? (three different Weatherbys)
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by jorgeI; 12/05/19.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it's time to let this thread die...

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A 250 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame at 2900 fps would be my moose load. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have ........ NOOOOOO muzzle brake!

Originally Posted by John55
Those things are one thing I absolutely refuse to have on a hunting rifle!

I agree with the above, completely.

They irritate the hell our of me at the range. Frankly, I can't see how recoil is an issue and the need for those damned things in ANY caliber. This is a 7lb rifle more or less and it's really quite manageable.

I only partially agree with the above. They irritate me to no end at the range. I'm almost convinced they should be prohibited when other shooters are present. We must recognize that everybody handles recoil differently and I, for one, CAN see how recoil is an issue for other shooters. I tend to avoid rifles with what to me is objectionable recoil. To each their own.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/05/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I have ........ NOOOOOO muzzle brake!

Originally Posted by John55
Those things are one thing I absolutely refuse to have on a hunting rifle!

I agree with the above, completely.

They irritate the hell our of me at the range. Frankly, I can't see how recoil is an issue and the need for those damned things in ANY caliber. This is a 7lb rifle more or less and it's really quite manageable.

I only partially agree with the above. They irritate me to no end at the range. I'm almost convinced they should be prohibited when other shooters are present. We must recognize that everybody handles recoil differently and I, for one, CAN see how recoil is an issue for other shooters. I tend to avoid rifles with what to me is objectionable recoil. To each their own.

I get that you are trying to say, I just can't understand it. I'm 5'10" and have never had an issue with it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I get that you are trying to say, I just can't understand it. I'm 5'10" and have never had an issue with it.

A guy I knew in the 80's inherited a bit of money and immediately started on a M70 buying binge. Mostly pre 64's. He loved 458WM's. He owned 4 of them. He went with us hunting pronghorns with a 458 one year.

When teased his defense always was "Hey, no brain, no pain".

Sorry, couldn't resist.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Brains he apparently had, those 458 Africans are BIG MONEY....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So at the recommendation of many, I bought my first "Tupperware Rifle" for Alaska (looking at Fll 2021 for moose), a 340 "weathernark" MkV. it is significantly lighter than an Accumark but accuracy wise, these speak for themselves. I topped it off with a Zeiss Diavari 3X9X36... Shots to the side are obviously initial and corrected.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/WqJWI8s.jpg?1[/img]

Notice the POIs for all three loads that in my view are indicative of an inherently accurate rifle...

Jorge - somehow you get great groups with TSX's in all your Weatherby's. For anyone interested, I've shot his .300 and .257 Roy and they will make 3 hole cloverleafs all day. His .257 loads shoot great in my custom Mauser.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
. I put about 200 full throttle loads through it, .

That explains a lot....

Full throttle means max per Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady. It does not mean I was trying to match Weatherby claimed velocity over my chronograph.

The life expectency of a Wea barrel is less tha 200 rounds?

I don't believe that, even in a 257 or a 30-378.

I am smart enough to avoid heating a barrel, especially in another man's rifle. That is why he brought it to ME.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course not, but you did say the rifle was purchased used and your 200 round count was unnecessary. All you would have had to do is get a box of factory 180s and if after the first or even second three shot group the rifle was scattering them, that should have been the end of your testing. Weatherby factory equivalent loads are easy to duplicate. All one has to do is use the data from an old Weatherby guide and they match up exactly. I've tried it with every Weatherby caliber I've owned or own, 240, 257, 7, 300 & 340 and they duplicate exactly. One of my 257 barrels did give up the ghost after three thousand rounds and it was a classic barrel wear out symptoms. groups started to open up and when they went over 2" , off it went to Weatherby for a new barrel and presto, back so half inch groups.

If folks can't get a new Weatherby rifle to shoot, it's operator error pure and simple.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.