Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Will add that one of my local friends is a retired outfitter. He used to use a 7mm Remington Magnum on elk, partly because he's in his 70's and grew up in the era when the "Big Seven" was OBVIOUSLY far better than the .270 or .30-06--but partly because he was often guiding dudes who did not hit 'em just right.

After retirement, he switched to the .22-250--because he hunts primarily for meat, whether a raghorn bull or cow. These are usually in herds, and the .22-250 kills well, without the bullet exiting and possibly wounding another elk. He's been doing this for around a decade, shooting them behind the shoulder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
You guys are going to put a few into a tail spin talking about killing elk with a 6mm.

Ain't never elk hunted but something tells me my 6mm could git er done pretty handily with a 95 grain Partition!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by SLM
You guys are going to put a few into a tail spin talking about killing elk with a 6mm.

Ain't never elk hunted but something tells me my 6mm could git er done pretty handily with a 95 grain Partition!

That is typical for not seeing the results of mousegunners shooting at elk with sub-par cartridges. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
People who don’t know you can’t kill elk with a 6mm, kill elk with a 6mm.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
People who don’t know you can’t kill elk with a 6mm, kill elk with a 6mm.

P

Touché

😎

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have read about Game Wardens culling elk with a 22-250 before. I also knew two old gents ( both long since gone) who used the Mod 99 250/3000 "with the 87gr bullet"! for everything here and over in Star Valley, WY. So...since I ate a big helping of crow on the 7mm/08...I think I'll feel better about taking my 6.5 Creedmoor as a spare elk rifle! smile If I get tired of toting that 300WM, I'll tote Jr awhile! ha

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hope to hunt elk in Wyoming in 2023... my primary will be my M77 in 6mm Remington (100 partition) and back up will be the 280 Remington (150 Partition), 300 RSAUM, and 300 H&H !! smile

N
NTG Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Will add that one of my local friends is a retired outfitter. He used to use a 7mm Remington Magnum on elk, partly because he's in his 70's and grew up in the era when the "Big Seven" was OBVIOUSLY far better than the .270 or .30-06--but partly because he was often guiding dudes who did not hit 'em just right.

After retirement, he switched to the .22-250--because he hunts primarily for meat, whether a raghorn bull or cow. These are usually in herds, and the .22-250 kills well, without the bullet exiting and possibly wounding another elk. He's been doing this for around a decade, shooting them behind the shoulder.

That's good information. Do you know what bullet he uses, by chance?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had elk stew for dinner tonight, 150 eldx, 7mm-08.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
NTG,

I don't remember the specific brand of bullet, but do remember it's some common 55-grain cup-and-core. As noted, he primarily wants to make sure the bullet doesn't exit.

Might also note that a dozen years ago I went to Africa on a month-long cull hunt with a dozen other guys. One of the professional hunters took me and a friend out one day, allowing us to use his personal culling rifle, an old Sako .22-250. At that point it was on its 4th barrel and had taken around 12,000 springbok, a delicious antelope about the size of pronghorns. His favorite culling load is the Winchester factory 55-grain soft-point--which he gets wholesale because he also owns a big sporting goods store.

Anyway, we mostly were shooting springboks, and the rifle and load worked great out to 500 yards, which is as far as we ever shot. We were switching off on the rifle, and when it was my buddy's turn to shoot we came across an injured kudu bull, and the PH told my buddy to shoot it. He did, through the heart because the kudu had started to take off. It went went about 75 yards before stopping and dropping. Maybe it wouldn't have gone that far if shot with a bigger round, but I've seen more than one kudu bull go 60-100 when shot with the .375 H&H--and they're not considered among the tougher of the elk-sized plains game animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
NTG,

I don't remember the specific brand of bullet, but do remember it's some common 55-grain cup-and-core. As noted, he primarily wants to make sure the bullet doesn't exit.

Might also note that a dozen years ago I went to Africa on a month-long cull hunt with a dozen other guys. One of the professional hunters took me and a friend out one day, allowing us to use his personal culling rifle, an old Sako .22-250. At that point it was on its 4th barrel and had taken around 12,000 springbok, a delicious antelope about the size of pronghorns. His favorite culling load is the Winchester factory 55-grain soft-point--which he gets wholesale because he also owns a big sporting goods store.

Anyway, we mostly were shooting springboks, and the rifle and load worked great out to 500 yards, which is as far as we ever shot. We were switching off on the rifle, and when it was my buddy's turn to shoot we came across an injured kudu bull, and the PH told my buddy to shoot it. He did, through the heart because the kudu had started to take off. It went went about 75 yards before stopping and dropping. Maybe it wouldn't have gone that far if shot with a bigger round, but I've seen more than one kudu bull go 60-100 when shot with the .375 H&H--and they're not considered among the tougher of the elk-sized plains game animals.

Funny how a hole through the heart or airbags ends life whether from a .22, .375 or a broadhead tipped arrow.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have shot an elk every year for more than a couple dozen years. I think I do my homework, and I like experimenting and learning from my experiences.

I have used several rifles, and gained a reasonable bit of real world data to base my opinions on. I have personally shot elk with a .270, 7x57, 7x64, .308, 30-06, 8x57, .356, .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, .375 H&H and .450-400 3" Nitro Express. I have seen quite a few more shot with the same or similar cartridges and also with the 7mm08.

The three elk I had the most trouble with after the shot were hit with .35 Whelen / 250 gr. and .375 H&H 260 gr. and .450-400 400 gr. The ones that were wounded and got away were shot at over 300 meters away with a .300 magnum, and 250 meters with a 30-06, and one gut shot closer in with a .35 Whelen.

The one elk I saw that dropped at the shot through the lungs ( no CNS or heavy bone was hit) was one my son shot with a 7mm08 and standard Rem. 140 corlokt bullet. The same bullet placement at a similar distance on a similar size nice fat 5 point bull (120 paces) this year with my "African Dangerous Game Double Rifle" - Merkel 140 AE .450-400 resulted in a death dash of over 160 meters. I suppose the Hornady DGX bonded bullet was just too "hard" to do much damage to the lungs.

My son shot another 5 pt bull last year with his 7mm08 and 160 Speer Grand Slam at 2600 fps muzzle velocity. Impact was just behind the shoulders through both lungs at about 120 M distance. It ran about 40 meters after the shot. My cow was hit in the pretty much same spot and at a similar distance with my 9.3x62, and 285 gr. RN Lapua Mega, 2400 fps muzzle velocity. Ran about the same distance and dropped.

Choose a bullet that penetrates well and expands, but does not fragment. Place it right, and therefore don't shoot too far away. That's it.

Thank you for having the courage, wisdom and determination not to shoot farther than 300 yards. Use A GOOD BULLET. Go forth and slay your elk. Shoot straight and enjoy the venison.

Last edited by castnblast; 12/05/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don, if it was my last wilderness hunt...I'd be totin that 7x57 w/160gr Partitions. Dead elk! powdr

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Did the horse roll over on them Alpine? What do you think caused the damage? I've always taken a rifle out of the scabbard any time I was away from the horse awhile. Those crazy things always seem to find a way to rub or roll over, even when tied! ha Many times, I just rode with the rifle slung or across the pommel ala John Wayne ( the Searchers) style, lol. "That cuts it Preacher!"

The other bent barrel was my father's M721. And no, nothing special happened in either case that any of us could remember--no rodeos. In both cases I think the horse rubbed against a tree, either when being rode through thickish timber or when tied up. One would think in order to bend the barrel it would practically tear the scabbard loose from the saddle, but there was no sign of damage to the scabbard. In fact, we still have that same scabbard today.

I have also heard a couple other stories of bent barrels in scabbards. The common theme was 24" or longer bbls on all of them. As John mentioned big scopes take a beating too, horses, ATV's, etc........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never had to chase an elk shot with my .35 Whelen with 225 gr TBBC, but I never gut-shot one either. The last several shot with a 168 gr TTSX out of a .300 Weatherby dropped like they were struck by the Hammer of Thor. Your results may vary.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah yes, the old hammer of Thor! Did you put the 168's behind the shoulder or into it?

For many years my wife's primary big game rifle was one of those dreaded .270 Winchesters. Back then TSX's did not exist, so she used 150-grain Nosler Partitions, handloaded to around 2850 fps. (Back then we also did not know that 3000 fps was absolutely necessary for hammer of Thor-ing big game.)

The victims included several elk, none of which went more than 50 feet, and probably half of which never took another step. In between the elk was a bull Shiras moose, quartering away at around 125 yards. It managed to take a step-and-a-half before dropping and never moving--and the bullet did not encounter any bone other than a rib, until it ended up in the meat of the opposite shoulder. It's still by far the quickest-dropped moose I've seen taken with a shot that didn't break a shoulder or the spine. A 150 Partition from the 7mm-08 is essentially the same thing.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thor and his Hammer seem to spend a lot of time following around guys with magnums smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, and also the famous Hammer of Roy....

John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ah yes, the old hammer of Thor! Did you put the 168's behind the shoulder or into it?

Yes, it is a tired cliche.

Behind the shoulder. Never aim for the shoulder.

Happy Trails

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is it Hammer of Thor-ing or Hammering of Thor? Kinda like RBIs in baseball, RsBI?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.