Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Not that it has anything to do with anything. But, how much would that AMZN stock, or a warehouse full of $100's, for that matter, be worth if TS were to ever HTF?

or a S&W Model 19..

The hypothesis of the current most popular non fiction book, LOSER THINK by Scott Adams, is that we think we can see causation, while overlooking other possibilities.

I will now commit looser think. Einstein did not fight the vermark with a Mauser. He instead took his stash of money and passport, and escaped to America.

Before there were www forums there was usenet. I was unpopular on misc.survivalism with my question, "You have a bug out vehicle, but no passport?"

Interesting.

How do you escape from America?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take Krugerrands from Seattle to Vancouver BC airport, fly to Costa Rica.

I worked with Vietnamese boat people doing electronics design.

They got from being wealthy in Vietnam when it fell, to robbed of their Gold by pirates, to a refugee camp in the Pacific. When the got to the USA one guy I worked with learned English, learned electronics, and was working with me as one of my technicians in two years. He went to night school and got a masters degree in electrical engineering and became my peer. After a couple years of that he was too rich to work as engineer any longer, as the money he sent to his parents in Texas had done well as an investment.

5 years from no English, no money, to too rich to be an engineer.

At the same time I knew a guy whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower, his father was a PhD, he was a degreed engineer working for me as a technician, and he was always broke. He has no end of buried weapons and spider holes. His vehicle was a 4 wheel drive truck with no reflective surfaces.

Who was the real survivalist?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
ClarkM: Pardon my slow reply I have been chasin guns and sighting in guns (NO wind!) here the last couple of days.
I am sure there are many ways "I" or anyone else could have invested their monies and would have done better (percentage of return wise) than investing in "guns"!
MANY years ago I arrested and put in irons "the richest man in the world" at the time (and he still would be if he had not given so much of his incredible fortune away!) and towed his hot rod boat along with him and his girlfriend to the harbor police station.
While we were waiting for his minions to bring his identification, his boats identification and a boat trailer to the harbor station - we talked.
I eventually asked him if it would be wise to buy stock in his company at THAT time - as his stock had EXPLODED so far to date.
He modestly replied "I would not put ALL my (my as in VarmintGuy) money in his stock"!
So I didn't!
If I had, I would now be worth $10,000,000.00 (ten million dollars!) more than I'm worth today - $1,000,000.00 (one million dollars!)!
So be that - I just enjoy investing in guns and on occasion selling them for a profit so's I can buy MORE guns!
By the way I (we) arrested the same said multi-billionaire, the very next year for the very same thing and towed him and his new hotrod boat and his new girlfriend to the same harbor station!
Guy was a speed demon - I am happy he settled down before he hurt someone or himself!
I think I'll keep gamblin on guns - it's fun!
By the way I very much enjoyed your story about the "boat guy" turned American success story.
I had MANY occasions to interact with "boat people" during my professional career and indeed they were THE most industrious group of people I have ever encountered (Jews being a close second!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What to focus on about survivalism is reproduction.

The town in WA where I live has more than 10X the per capita income, compared to the town in MT where I hunt. But they are having kids in small town MT. Where I live there is grandkid envy.

If I could broker the deal, I could get over $1M for the first grandkid in half the households in my city. These liberal females that were brainwashed in college do not want to reproduce. Now the rich old retired liberals are paying the price..... money won't buy grandkids.

On wind. I spent the 1970s and 1980s checking wind in WA so I could salmon fish.
Now in MT on a hunting trip, I just watch TV is the wind is 20 mph.
To sight in a rifle in MT on public land, @5 mph wind I do left to right at 50 yards with the wind at my back. The I do elevation at 200 yards. Based on that I can hit an antelope right where I aim at 450 yards, at day break with no wind.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.