Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I like that the 22WMR ammo is more weather resistant than the 22 rimfire.

I did not know this. Is this a fact that I somehow missed?

The 22rimfire bullet isn't a very tight seal, but it does have some wax that helps. In extended exposure to rain, creek crossings, like an extended survival situation, it could get moisture in it. The 22WMR is jacketed, and a tight fit in the case, you cannot wiggle it with your fingers.

Of course, Ziploc bags can be a simple way to keep things dry.

MM,

Thanks for your response.

Makes perfect sense.

I thought someone, perhaps CE Harris, had published the results of controlled experiments on this and I missed it.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Considering how much time is spent on forums such as this arguing the virtues of different center fire cartridges and predominantly bolt guns as the carrier of said boolits in putting meat on the table, it's perplexing so many gravitate to .22's and shotguns when the subject of lone survival scenarios and gun choice pops up.

A reliable bolt action rifle in a powerful enough cartridge is more efficient at procuring ounce/meat per ounce/ammunition than most other platforms. I'd rather have a lt. wt. bolt gun in 6.5 swede/creed and a big handful of snare wire than all the shotguns and .22lr. in a Cabellas super store.

Vihjamur Stefansson proved this by spending years at a time on expedition in the arctic. http://www.thearctic.is/articles/topics/legacystefansson/enska/index.htm He and his team determined that the Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 was the way to go and were able to hunt and eat their way across some of the most inhospitable terrain our continent has literally for years. Even Brad Angier pushed the Win. Mod 70 in 30.06 for the best all around woods running gun.

Like Ethan mentioned the geography/wildlife should be known before running off into the boonies, but even then, the center fire bolt gun has been the most popular means of filling bellies around the world for over a century.

Give me Mauser in 6.5 swede or .06 and I'd be a happy camper.

Yeah well, we had a well known hermit that lived in a shack way back in the woods here in the Adirondacks for his entire adult life and he managed to keep hisself fed on animals big and small for all those years with traps/snares and a .22 WRF rifle. It was the only gun he was ever known to own.

Last edited by Blackheart; 12/05/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
People that talk schit about a 22 magnum are welcome to catch all the bullets they want, at whatever range they want!

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by satir
sorry, but woodsbumming and being able to take almost any shot you're offered at game is not the same thing. You'd have to brain deer to take them reliably with a 22 mag. and it would be sketchy for anything larger. Why make that much noise and give up the rapidfire of the .22lr, or the power and range of the 223, when the AR is so low cost these days and so much more versatile than any .22 mag. In the autos, 22 mag bursts rims quite often. want to risk your face? wanna pay $200 to have the 22 mag rustproofed and $500 to have some smith fabricate luminous sights for it?
You'd better go read my post if you think you've got to brain deer with a .22 WMR to kill them reliably sonny. I've BTDT many times.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think a 20 or 12 and .22WMR, (LR would be fine too) would do about anything needed out of a “survival gun”. The .22WMR is laughed at by the unknowing, at least in a survival situation as outlined by the OP. Survival in the case of being stranded in the northwest coastal areas of the PNW is most likely to depend on everything EXCEPT the firearm you have. You’ll die from exposure within a few days.....cold and wet.....never firing a shot.

Give me what I have for a firearm and I’ll make due. If I had the luxury to choose and assuming it survived the boat capsizing or plane crash then probably a Savage O/U in the aforementioned calibers/gauges.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never saw the TV show so not a clue.
I saw about 10 minutes of "Survivor" once that pretty much cured me of wanting to see more like it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What would I choose for wilderness survival?
A accurate 22 mag simple action rifle with as much ammo it likes as I can carry.
Add a roll of snare wire and I am good.
The 22 mag for humane dispatching of anything I can't by hand or knife spear.

Last edited by deerstalker; 12/05/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a young guy and out of work...none to be had of any kind...I fed my pregnant wife and me on venison, all shot in the eye with a 22 LR Marlin 81. I didn't need a HP rifle to do the job, and the 22 LR was quiet, something necessary for the job at hand.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
When I was a young guy and out of work...none to be had of any kind...I fed my pregnant wife and me on venison, all shot in the eye with a 22 LR Marlin 81. I didn't need a HP rifle to do the job, and the 22 LR was quiet, something necessary for the job at hand.

Knew a guy that in a years time poached 450 deer with a 22lr with that shot at night. Sold them to a buyer from San Francisco for high end restaurant's.
Feeding a family is about as moral as it gets. Selling for profit is dirt bag wrong.

Last edited by deerstalker; 12/05/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It works with shots to the back of the head and side of the head too. BTDT.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Hard to argue with that. My pick... my old Nylon 66 22lr 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by NoPa

Yes a drilling like that or a BBF would be my choice as well.

Semper Fi

S
satir Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
it's been done with the .22lr, too, many times, and the 223 has a lot more ability on bigger animals than turrkey and a lot more range on smaller critters than the .22 mag has. the .22 rimfire mag bullet has a terrible ballistic coefficent, especially the original Winchester blunt hp. The lighter, faster CCI bullets, with the plastic nose do consierably better vs wind and drop, but I dunno about their penetration vs big critters. 30 grs is a very small amount of lead. It might just shatter on a rib of a big critter. When you start with just 350 ft lbs, and a blunt, non-boattail bullet, you've got damned little energy left at 200 yds. 60-100 ft lbs. Start with the 1200 ft lbs of the 223, 3000 fps, not 1900 fps, and 60 grs of bullet, not 40 grs, and you've got a lot more leeway for very minor errors in accuracy.
https://www.mcarbo.com/22-wmr-ballistics-chart.aspx

S
satir Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ever checked out the accuracy of a drilling? :-) The Savage combo rifle/shotgun is about as far as you want to stretch that bs. Use the 30-30 barrel with a chamber insert to .32 ACP, and the 20 ga 3" shell, if you like to run out of ammo quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haverluk
Originally Posted by NoPa

Yes a drilling like that or a BBF would be my choice as well.

Had that same model Sauer and had a good wood guy reduce the forend to a substantial splinter. It had a 1.5-6 Zeiss in claws. As poverty comes and goes with me, I sold it to get by for a while. It was a very good drilling. I wish I had it back.

This inexpensive Valmet 300 series BBF in 12ga and 222 Rem would be a good choice. Put an MCA chamber adapter ($28.00 plus $4.00 shipping for the stainless), 22LR for the 222, along with it, and it's a real capable survival gun. These break down to 23 1/2" and fit nicely in a backpack. With the Factory Sako rings, the scope is QD and goes back to zero.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A 22 mag is very capable. Not sure it would be my choice for my only gun. But it will kill everything there is where I live. Shot placement is critical on bigger stuff. But most of them I have seen shoot well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ever checked out the accuracy of a drilling? :-) The Savage combo rifle/shotgun is about as far as you want to stretch that bs. Use the 30-30 barrel with a chamber insert to .32 ACP, and the 20 ga 3" shell, if you like to run out of ammo quickly.
Yes, I have. It is a 100 meter set up. I have taken metric tons of game with them. That said, I do prefer a quality BBF for you exact reason cited. A quality BBF will do it all. Similar to the Savage 24 but vastly more effective and useful. I prefer the Blaser 95/97, Merkel B3 or a Heym 26 for these roles.

Semper Fi

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
it's been done with the .22lr, too, many times, and the 223 has a lot more ability on bigger animals than turrkey and a lot more range on smaller critters than the .22 mag has. the .22 rimfire mag bullet has a terrible ballistic coefficent, especially the original Winchester blunt hp. The lighter, faster CCI bullets, with the plastic nose do consierably better vs wind and drop, but I dunno about their penetration vs big critters. 30 grs is a very small amount of lead. It might just shatter on a rib of a big critter. When you start with just 350 ft lbs, and a blunt, non-boattail bullet, you've got damned little energy left at 200 yds. 60-100 ft lbs. Start with the 1200 ft lbs of the 223, 3000 fps, not 1900 fps, and 60 grs of bullet, not 40 grs, and you've got a lot more leeway for very minor errors in accuracy.
https://www.mcarbo.com/22-wmr-ballistics-chart.aspx
The 40 gr hp's have a higher BC than the 30 gr v-max and penetrate way better. I've shot the Win. 40 gr jhp completely through the chest cavity of full grown whitetails several times. They mushroom, hold together and penetrate way better than any of the lighter, faster bullets. Long after you're out of ammo for your .223 I'll still have a loaded .22 mag..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have you? I have with over 200 drillings in my lifetime. Here are a few on hand right now. With their set triggers they shoot extremely accurately. If the einstecklaufs are properly installed and regulated they shoot dead nuts on, also. I've taken the heads off many grouse with them.

You're an uninformed idiot.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,507
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.