Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A tidbit of wisdom from the far North “It’s the boolit, not the headstamp”.

DF

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Part right,don't forget shot placement. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

DF

Part right,don't forget shot placement. wink

Yep.

Goes without saying....

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Except for one 4x4 bull that I took with a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk in Colorado years ago, I have never used anything larger than .375 H&H for elk. However, I am thinking that I might take my .404 Jeffery next fall, just for the hell of it.

Instead of sorting through all of the 350-grain softs, I am thinking that the 400-grain TSX might work pretty well. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A .404 Jeffery for elk! Heaven forbid! grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Have you shot that pretty one you just bought?

Good jackwabbit round, guess it could kill an elk...

DF

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If I knew ranges would be 300 or less, I would be very happy carrying a 375.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Have you shot that pretty one you just bought?

Good jackwabbit round, guess it could kill an elk...

DF

Yes,I have shot it.

50 yards with iron sights,74.0 grains of Var-Get,CCI 250 Mag and 400 grain Woodleigh RN.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot the above load at 100 yards and it is shooting 4" to the left at 100 yards,so,tomorrow I will be shooting it to get it closer to the center.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wow. Shoots as good as it looks.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I once thought the .416 Taylor/350gr in a 20" barreled Mod 700 would be "perfect" for elk and African PG. Only problem was it needed the brake it had and it was so loud it was painful! I quickly sold that "bad idea", ha. However, I will say that, for me, once I killed some heavy game with heavy rifles, I was hooked! By that, I mean the Medium Bores ( but do include the 300 mags) for elk. I know I can and would if I had a need to, use a smaller caliber rifle on them, but I like to "thump them". It might be only "in my mind" they are "thumping", but that's all part of it...to me! smile I have used several calibers through the years and smallest I used on a heavy animal was an 85xbt from a 6x47mm, but I had to, I was recovering from a neck surgery and I had the opportunity. Everything was right ( about 90% shot) so I "finessed" an Oryx at 184yds. He was cow elk size. I had it loaded just like a loaded down .243. I would have "preferred" a bigger rifle, but hey. The only problem I ever had using a "big gun" was taking grief from other hunters! ha smile

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Don't overthink the trajectory at 300 with a sight in of 200. Put it on his back line at 300 and flail away.

Well-said!!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I once thought the .416 Taylor/350gr in a 20" barreled Mod 700 would be "perfect" for elk and African PG. Only problem was it needed the brake it had and it was so loud it was painful! I quickly sold that "bad idea", ha. However, I will say that, for me, once I killed some heavy game with heavy rifles, I was hooked! By that, I mean the Medium Bores ( but do include the 300 mags) for elk. I know I can and would if I had a need to, use a smaller caliber rifle on them, but I like to "thump them". It might be only "in my mind" they are "thumping", but that's all part of it...to me! smile I have used several calibers through the years and smallest I used on a heavy animal was an 85xbt from a 6x47mm, but I had to, I was recovering from a neck surgery and I had the opportunity. Everything was right ( about 90% shot) so I "finessed" an Oryx at 184yds. He was cow elk size. I had it loaded just like a loaded down .243. I would have "preferred" a bigger rifle, but hey. The only problem I ever had using a "big gun" was taking grief from other hunters! ha smile

Well stated. Jim! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If most guys took the time to do a little research, they would see what the .375 H&H was designed for...and it wasn't "Elephant/Rhino"! I'm sure some feel the 375 is OK for Buffalo, but I've seen one up close! Those babies are BIG, ha. I liked reading about Hal Waugh's (sp?) reasoning for reaming his .375 H&H out to the .375 Weatherby ( Ackley same same) and using the 270gr bullet. The 270 was also my favorite, though I did use the old 235X, 270TSX, first run Nosler 260PT ( my friend said they came apart on Blue Wildebeast and Eland) and that 300 Sierra. The 270 Failsafe was a good one too. I would think, if one could handle it ( of course) even the 375 RUM would be a good elk round too. The 250 TSX or similar comes to mind for any 375 nowadays. I would have try that one...:)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Dad (1922-2004) hunted elk nearly every year within the Bear Lodge Mountains of Wyoming. His rifle was a 300 Savage lever gun which has moderate recoil. Dad always shot an elk twice; he could lever a fresh cartridge very quickly. Compare the energy of two 180 grain 300 Savage bullets to just one 375 MAG bullet. No wonder Dad was always so successful!

300 Savage is a keeper!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hello,

I used my .375 H&H Winchester 70 pre 64 as my main big Red Deer rifle for years. Most used bullet the 270 grs Win Power Points, 270 grs Hornady Spire point. Both at 2700 p/s. Lately, some Barnes X 250 grs, and Nosler Partition and Accubond 260 grs. All worked great at 2800 f/s.
Some pictures

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This previous one with a N. Accubond 260 grs. Recovered under the opposite side skin.

Impressive!

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sherwood
My Dad (1922-2004) hunted elk nearly every year within the Bear Lodge Mountains of Wyoming. His rifle was a 300 Savage lever gun which has moderate recoil. Dad always shot an elk twice; he could lever a fresh cartridge very quickly. Compare the energy of two 180 grain 300 Savage bullets to just one 375 MAG bullet. No wonder Dad was always so successful!

300 Savage is a keeper!

Sherwood

That rifle/cartridge was sure popular here in Utah for a long time! Culture and traditions are strong in many areas. For example, I didn't use a scope until I was 22 because I grew up in a family of Mod 94 30-30 and 12ga/buckshot users. I heard all my young life by the "Oldtimers" "you can't use a scope in the woods, you can't get on him fast enough"!! This was in the Big Thicket of East Tx...we ran deer with hounds until I was 16 ( Law changed then) Even a bolt action rifle was considered "poor boy" via surplus rifles/sporters ( $25 for a 1917 Enfield at GI Surplus! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/15/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If big bears are not a problem a 30-06 with 165 Nosler AB's will work just as good if not better. If you don't already have a load worked up you might have a good case of the "flinch" before you find a load. Daniel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atse
I guided an elk Hunter from Australia in the Frank Church wilderness one time. He was shooting a 375H andH.. He missed a 5 point bull, and a nice mule deer from solid rests. He was so scared of the recoil, that he had a terrible flinch and couldn't hit anything. I shot his rifle to verify that it was shooting ok. It was, but even at that,I wasn't crazy about the recoil either, as that was the first one that I had shot. He later shot a small bull with my 243 I had in camp. I had a lot of hunters over the years that had magnum rifles and couldn't shoot them very well because of th e recoil flinch they developed. Most of the hunters that shot decent, and there weren't very many of them, shot something that didn't kick as bad. Something in the 270, or 30 06 range. I always liked it when a hunter showed up with something like that. Chances were, they would shoot better.

I have found the best way to make the 375 seem tame and manageable is to shoot 470 NE, 458 Lott, 450 Dakota.

A thousand rounds of the big guys and just like that, the 375 feels like an '06 used to.

But to your point, most guys won't do the work needed.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RMerta
I have a Remington 798 in 375 H&H I’m thinking of setting up for elk. I’m thinking a 260 grain Accubond. Straight 4 or 6 power scope.
Thoughts on sighting in. If I sight in at 2” high at 100 yds, dead on at 200. What would be my hold for a 300 yard shot?
Only other question would you use a straight power scope or a low power variable?
Thanks

My go to load for my.37&H was a Sierra 250 gr BTSP over an appropriate dose of RL-15. I had it set for 3 inches high at 100 yards.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.