Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hi Gents,

I contacted Nightforce but they apparently only produce the NXS 2.5x10x42 with 4A Reticle in small batches for the European market. The regular model Compact NXS 2.5x10x42 only comes with the Mil-R and the MOAR reticles which to me are overcomplicated for the hunting that I do.

NF told me to contact their largest retailer/distributor in England to have them ship a NXS 2.5x10x42 with 4A Reticle back to the U.S., but I got to think that someone has one stateside or can special order one here in the U.S. for less than the cost of shipping one back from the U.K.?

Else, what other scope has reliable turrets and very high quality glass? I was thinking the Swaro Z6 or even the Z8i (which I have with the BTS system) as options. Maybe one of the S&Bs.

Max Objective diameter has to be 44mm but would prefer a 42mm or even a 40mm. I'd need something between approx. 2x on low end and 14x on max end with overall weight at less than 25 oz and not more than a 30mm body.

Looking for the most value somewhere between: $1100-$3000.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bushnell LRHS 3-12x. You can still find them new and used up here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the 2.5-10x32 compact for several years, mine is the mil dot. IMO its their best hunting reticle in that model of scope. its not busy to me, it works well in low light, in fact the battery has probably been bad for years. its on one of my most used rifles that sees 700+ rounds a year in the field. pdogs, coyotes, jack rabbits etc. low light, ok light, good lights etc. its seen everything. you don't have to agree. but I love mine and wouldn't buy another NXS compact unless it was the mil dot, baring new offerings which haven't come out yet. I find the mil dot to be pretty useful actually, its boring and out of style so most people have moved on from it. but the darn thing works surprisingly well for hold over and hold offs. I am still a MOA guy but am a closet mildot lover on scopes that don't see serious dialing and distance.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you can find one with the IHR reticle it's not too far off a 4A.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by horse1
If you can find one with the IHR reticle it's not too far off a 4A.

I'd follow the same line of thought as horse1. I knew NF made a SHV with the 4A for the European market but wasn't aware that did that with the NXS.....if the NXS version of the 4A is the same as the SHV version I think the IHR is probably better, but that's just my opinion.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you do find a scope with an IHR reticle, don't dilly-dally, they've been discontinued too. mad

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
If you do find a scope with an IHR reticle, don't dilly-dally, they've been discontinued too. mad

Amen.....my favorite reticle..........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what do you guys like about the IHR reticle? maybe I am missing something

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm not a huge fan of it as I'd prefer something a little bolder like their Forceplex. For my use if the outer posts were solid fill all the way in I'd like it better. In open areas it's not a big deal, in thicker areas I like the bolder posts. The small area that is illuminated, along with the ability to keep the intensity of the illumination very low, is pretty nice in low light though.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hunt in all very open country. I love how open and unobtrusive the reticle is. 3MOA to the ends of the cross and 6MOA to where the heavy portion of the reticle starts gives me very good/useable reference points for wind holds.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With so many Variable powered scopes these days, I keep wondering when Mfg's will produce a variable reticle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
is the center plenty bold enough in low light? that center cross doesn't look very bold. for me unless the reticle has some sort of hold off tics, its tuff to beat a plain ole duplex.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
With so many Variable powered scopes these days, I keep wondering when Mfg's will produce a variable reticle?

It's called FFP grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
is the center plenty bold enough in low light? that center cross doesn't look very bold. for me unless the reticle has some sort of hold off tics, its tuff to beat a plain ole duplex.

When you push that little button on the left, it makes it as bold as you want......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

The ends of the cross and beginning of the outer portion are essentially "tics" @ 3MOA and 6MOA. The only way for you to know if it's bold enough for your uses, locale, and personal vision is to try one. It works very well for me but that may or may not mean diddly-squat to you. If you get the illuminated version, then as aalf said it's going to be as bold as you want it to be in red or green.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
are you guys liking the look of it with illumination on?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I love the illumination on the NXS IHR in low light. It's not overly large and can be set very low so it doesn't overpower the image. In many of the places I hunt I wouldn't be able to use in against dark broken backgrounds in low light without the illumination.

The illumination isn't really daylight visible.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.