Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
There was a thread the other day on this.

A major blunder on the part of Japan. Did they think they would defeat the US?

May the brave men, and women that died at Pearl rest in peace, and may God bless their souls.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they almost pulled it off.
had our aircraft carriers been in port things could have gone the other way.
only good thing that happened that day was my brother being born.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
They thought it would give them time for their southeast asia conquest and the U.S. would sue for peace with the Pacific Fleet distroyed.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Of course I have the advantage of hindsight.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quite a few articles on Pearl Harbor here.
Had they got the carriers, it’d been a whole lot different. I still believe Roosevelt baited them into attacking us, so’s he could get into the war. He never figured on the Pacific Fleet being the target.
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 12/06/19.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read somewhere that the attack had serious effects on the US Pacific Fleet. However, the fact the carriers were not in port, the Japanese didn't bomb the ship repair facilities, nor the fuel storage tanks, was the Japanese downfall. Many of the ships were repaired asap and had the fuel to go to war.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman3
I read somewhere that the attack had serious effects on the US Pacific Fleet. However, the fact the carriers were not in port, the Japanese didn't bomb the ship repair facilities, nor the fuel storage tanks, was the Japanese downfall. Many of the ships were repaired asap and had the fuel to go to war.

We were damn lucky.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It was probably too late anyway, but I wonder who the officer at Ft Shafter was that told the two radar kids that reported the incoming planes an hour before, "forget it"? 2,000 men, croakers.
But as Hillary so famously said, after the Benghazi guys had croaked, "At this point, what difference does it make?"

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The US would have eventually prevailed with the loss of the carriers, the fact that they were not destroyed just shortened the eventual reversal.

The Japanese underestimated how angry the American citizens would become over such an attack. A declaration of war was supposed to be delivered about an hour before the attack, but decoding took longer than anticipated and no declaration was in place at the time of the attack.

Yamamoto hoped to engage the United States at the negotiating table and warned of a protracted war. He had also campaigned for more Naval Air instead of the huge Battleships Musashi and Yamato, which pretty much remained idle during much of the war due to fuel issues.

The Coral Sea battle stopped the (I believe) Port Moresby invasion force and affirmed that the Carrier was the new boss, the Battle ship was going to play second-fiddle now His Midway campaign also violated many Mahanian principles, of which the Japanese Navy was a big believer in.

Their Aviator training program simply could not keep up with attrition, Midway really hurt them there.

The third wave of attacks at Pearl that would have taken out the fuel reserves and drydocks were also another mistake. The fuel at Pearl on the 7th was used in June at Midway.

Admiral Yamamoto predicted what would happen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
It was probably too late anyway, but I wonder who the officer at Ft Shafter was that told the two radar kids that reported the incoming planes an hour before, "forget it"? 2,000 men, croakers.
But as Hillary so famously said, after the Benghazi guys had croaked, "At this point, what difference does it make?"

I think that was Kermit Tyler, who was not properly trained to act in the position he was in, and was mislead by an expected arrival of a flight of B-17s.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was born in 1950, nine years after Pearl Harbor. Growing up, I still remember hearing older people talking about where they were, and what they were doing that Sunday. A high school classmate of my fathers is still there, on the Arizona.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The sleeping giant kicked their ass!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were just looking for someone to rebuild their economy.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
It would have been a longer war if they hit the dry docks and the fuel farm.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The difference is what you learn from the past.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't remember much.I was only three years old at the time. I did know by how my folks were acting that something very bad had happened. I remember hiding in the basement during the air raid drill late at night and wondering it the explosions I heard were the Japanese bombing us or the coastal batteries just practicing? My dad was exempt from the draft due to his job being vital to the war effort but a couple of his cousins ended up fighting the Germans. It wasn't a pleasant time.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. . . But as Hillary so famously said, after the Benghazi guys had croaked, "At this point, what difference does it make?"

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from allthatsinteresting.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from historyonthenet.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
most people don't realize December 8th was an important day in history too

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
171 members (12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 15 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.