Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Friday night had a rifle with a Leupold 3x take a wall slide tumble onto a tile floor. The impact was directly onto the top of the elevation dial. Shot it again at a target for assurance.. Nothing changed.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 12/06/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Grow up. I have returned Minox, Vortex, and SWFA x2 for warrant return and never ever a Leupold and I have owned more Leupolds than all others combined. Do I feel butthurt over it? NO. Good Lord.

It has nothing to do with growing up. My Leupolds, save for the mysterious adjustments in the zero process, have been very good for me. I have read enough here and elsewhere to know that Leupold's fail at a rate with which I am no longer comfortable. Just look at the comments in this one thread. I think the frustration is 2 fold. We want to love this once revered American company. Couple that with Leupold's absolute refusal to address the known issue, and you have the makings for an ugly divorce. People feel betrayed, and in my mind rightfully so.

No more Rugers or Leupolds for me, and that bothers me because it brought me special pleasure to pop a Leupold on top of a Ruger product.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yeah, it was going to be a set and verify a couple times a year deal, the lit reticle WAS nice.

I've got the VXR 3x9 Patrol on my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. It is a pretty decent scope there. Has mil dial and a mil reticle. Pretty useful for the ML, but I really like the lit reticle. I am sure Big L will square you away Gunner. Sucks you can't buy stuff right outta the box that works with regularity anymore.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dre
Little off topic
But Doug started a thread on leupold and was to contact them with our concerns.
What ever happened with that ?

LMAO

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beretzs,

I put a SWFA HD 1-6 on my Rem Ultimate muzzleloader. Mil/mil with illuminated reticle. There is a tiny dot in center that helps to find center of a target even at 200 yds.
When your Leupold quits I highly recommend this scope.

Ah some will say when the Leupold quits. I had two Leupolds fail when it greatly affected me. One while shooting at a decent coues wt and the other the week before another coues hunt. I don't bother to mention the other ones that failed to adjust properly because they did that on paper which is no big deal, I just send it back for repairs did that for years.

When the scope fails on a hunt that is another matter. I keep thinking of my friends that are still using Leupolds on their hunting rifles and when they will encounter a failure.

I no longer have ANY Leupolds on a rifle that requires a tag, life is too short to hunt with a scope that might fail.

Last edited by Azshooter; 12/07/19.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Beretzs,

I put a SWFA HD 1-6 on my Rem Ultimate muzzleloader. Mil/mil with illuminated reticle. There is a tiny dot in center that helps to find center of a target even at 200 yds.

Ah some will say when the Leupold quits. I had two Leupolds fail when it greatly affected me. One while shooting at a decent coues wt and the other the week before another coues hunt. I don't bother to mention the other ones that failed adjust properly because they did that on paper which is no big deal, I just send it back for repairs did that for years.

When the scope fails on a hunt that is another matter. I keep thinking of my friends that are still using Leupolds on the hunting rifles and when they will encounter a failure.

I no longer have ANY Leupolds on a rifle that requires a tag live is too short to hunt with a scope that might fail.

Thanks AZ. That's why it's on the ML right now. I only use the rifle for local deer hunting so far, but your SS 1-6 idea is EXCELLENT. I like their optics and haven't had one make a blip. I still have some 6x36's that give solid service, but I am not numb to the fact they are all on limited lives. But I hedge my bets with rock solid mounts and rings and don't go hammering on the dials daily.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yeah, it was going to be a set and verify a couple times a year deal, the lit reticle WAS nice.

I've got the VXR 3x9 Patrol on my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. It is a pretty decent scope there. Has mil dial and a mil reticle. Pretty useful for the ML, but I really like the lit reticle. I am sure Big L will square you away Gunner. Sucks you can't buy stuff right outta the box that works with regularity anymore.

You can Scotty, but that box says Nightforce on it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Dre
Little off topic

LMAO

Rollin here... Yeah, he probably doesn't want to even go there...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Beretzs,

Ah some will say when the Leupold quits. I had two Leupolds fail when it greatly affected me. One while shooting at a decent coues wt and the other the week before another coues hunt. I don't bother to mention the other ones that failed adjust properly because they did that on paper which is no big deal, I just send it back for repairs did that for years.

When the scope fails on a hunt that is another matter. I keep thinking of my friends that are still using Leupolds on the hunting rifles and when they will encounter a failure.

I no longer have ANY Leupolds on a rifle that requires a tag live is too short to hunt with a scope that might fail.

I shoot a lot, so I always find my Leupold failures at the range. Never on a hunt. The laughable part about that is I have older American made (and even the newer ones) Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticles on the majority of my "hunting" rifles. They don't even track "perfectly", but they hold zero very well. I don't dial these scopes, but do use the ballistic plex reticle if the need arises. I wish Leupold would get their chit straight, but they have their heads stuffed so far up that they will never see the light of day. That is sad because I'd love to support a local company, if they had a product you could depend on... What is really sad is the amount of Leupold lovers out there, that are pretty clueless. I am going to list a scope on ebay that I pulled off of a used rifle. It will bring good money (approx $325.00, maybe more), just because it's a pretty Leupold rifle scope...and there are guys out there that just got to have a pretty Leupold on top of their rifle. A lot of those guys don't shoot much, if any at all... I'm glad they are out there though, makes selling old Leupolds easier... wink

BSA MAGA
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Dre
Little off topic

LMAO

Rollin here... Yeah, he probably doesn't want to even go there...

What ever! lol
But also seriously, what ever happened with all that ?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Why is there a refusal to fix the issue? How many more scopes would they sell if positive tracking was addressed??

I have many leupold scopes, and I love the eye relief and warrenty, not to mention the fact that they are made in America, but I am not blind to the fact that they have a problem. What I do not understand is why they don't address it? Not only would they sell allot of scopes but I am sure it would save them in repair cost. Doesn't make allot of sense to me why they continue to make scopes with known issues?

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
Why is there a refusal to fix the issue? How many more scopes would they sell if positive tracking was addressed??

I have many leupold scopes, and I love the eye relief and warrenty, not to mention the fact that they are made in America, but I am not blind to the fact that they have a problem. What I do not understand is why they don't address it? Not only would they sell allot of scopes but I am sure it would save them in repair cost. Doesn't make allot of sense to me why they continue to make scopes with known issues?

HeavyBarrel

My guess is the failure rate percentage is acceptable to their business model.

Or they are too stubborn to admit they have a problem at all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess I'm just lucky, I've got 2 CDS's and they always work. Just use them for fun target work, fixed 6X for hunting. Never dial when shooting game! Everybody is or whats to be a sniper!

Last edited by Switch; 12/06/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IF Leupold could eventually establish the reputation that Night Force has for reliability, they would once again own the rifle scope market. Remember when you were proud of the gold ring on the objective?

Here is the problem, prices will go up. I am sure Night Force scopes are more expensive to make.

Not everybody wants to be a sniper. Everybody wants a reliable scope, even for just sighting in. Long(er) range shooting has grown and is growing into a new facet of shooting. It is challenging and a whole lot of fun in the off season.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just send the $ for a Night Force and stop bitching. The next thread will be about how expensive and heavy the Night Force scopes are! Rifle Looneys!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who is bitching? I transitioned to Zeiss and Night Force already. May try SWFA too.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have some Leupold scopes that are used as "set and forget" scopes only. I have replaced 3 of them with a SWFA 3-9HD, a Nightforce SHV 3-10 and a Bushnell 4-5-18 LRHSi and when I adjust the scopes they move the bullets impact accordingly as they should. My Leupold scopes had me questioning my ability to zero a scope from the bench at 100 yards. They were frustrating.

If I had it to do over and wanted to use a Leupold I would have had a B&C reticle installed and never twist a turret after the initial zero. Just learn trajectory using the B&C reticle.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Leupold doesn't have a problem just like Remington didn't have a trigger problem...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Leupold doesn't have a problem just like Remington didn't have a trigger problem...

Remington has a trigger problem NOW!

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Messed with it some more. Took rings off, checked base screws. Put it back together. Both windage and elevation move jerky.

Back to Leupold tomorrow.

Lefty

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.