Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
My new Sig M400 Tread is a delightful piece of machinery, but it bottoms out my RCBS trigger gauge at 72 oz (4.5 lbs) and even then isn't close to tripping the trigger.

I get it that a self-defense rifle needs to be one that requires a deliberate pull to set it off, but I'd like to try some target shooting at extended ranges and possibly some hunting with it - and a 6-7 lb trigger pull is just too much.

1. Is there a simple way (read: non-gunsmith) to reduce the pull to somewhere around 3.5-4 lbs, like on my other hunting rifles?

2. Is 3.5 lbs too light for its role as a home protection firearm?

I've been looking at trigger spring kits for around $15 and drop-in replacement triggers for $150-300. Is there anything anyone can recommend somewhere near the lower half of that spread?

As you might have guessed from my post, I've never tinkered with an AR-15 before, so any proposed solutions need to be SIMPLE.

Thanks for any responses, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
There are lots of good AR trigger options, especially if you're willing to spend $150 or more. Sounds like you want to spend a bit less though, so I'd recommend one of these:

- Rise Armament drop-in triggers, pick one on sale right now from several different places (Primary Arms, Dvor, Palmetto State Armory, etc). The basic one seems to be going for ~$88, and a better model for ~$105. These are a single stage trigger.

- Larue MBT. They were something like $87, not sure what they're going for right now, but they have a good reputation. These are a 2 stage trigger. Edit - they are $80, here: https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

Both of those are good triggers. The Larue has a big following in certain circles, and is a quality trigger. Personally I prefer a single stage and am happy with the Rise triggers for a lower priced single stage.

Hope that helps. Also, you'll get more knowledgeable responses in the black rifle section of this forum.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/06/19.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Timney Calvin Elite is on the top end of your budget, but it seems to be a very nice trigger with a clean 1.5 pound break.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As mentioned, a good bang for the buck trigger.

Link

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Larue is available as a single-stage trigger now also. That is what I would recommend.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I lightened a friend's AR trigger by about half with a simple spring change. Brownells has what you need. Very simple.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Simply replace it! Quick, easy, and “almost” financially painless! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Never tried changing springs, but some friends have, and they say there's no free (or cheap) lunch. They got a lighter trigger pull, but they also started getting mechanical issues such as 20% misfires. NOT what you want in a defense weapon.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I changed springs on one, slightly lighter trigger and no malfunctions. Put a Rock River Varmint on another, much better option. Next time I'll start with a LaRue.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

If merely changing springs works for you.....I’m very happy for you. But, for for my rifle it would have been a waste of time. The trigger pull was best described as pulling a rusty chain across the edge of a table. You might have gotten it somewhat lighter.....but, the roughness would remain! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Wyodogger
Never tried changing springs, but some friends have, and they say there's no free (or cheap) lunch. They got a lighter trigger pull, but they also started getting mechanical issues such as 20% misfires. NOT what you want in a defense weapon.

Yeah, why bother with that crap when you can buy a Larue mbt2s or RRA varmint match for around $80.00? I'd just pay the money and get the better trigger... They are easy to replace.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the LaRue MBT-2s very much. One of the best $80 a guy can spend to upgrade, IMO. I never tried Rise, but that sale price on a single-stage is pretty enticing. If I had any need, I'd gamble a little cash on that one myself.

Maybe someone can help me out: I'm not following how a lighter trigger spring can cause misfires. Hammer spring, sure thing. But how can a lighter trigger spring cause misfires???

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I put a Larue MBT in my Sig M400. Made a world of difference. Excellent trigger with very consistent break.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[quoteI like the LaRue MBT-2s very much. One of the best $80 a guy can spend to upgrade, IMO. ][/quote]

YES! best deal out there.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have a Sig 400 Hunter (think that’s the designation) and its trigger was HEAVY and rough. Made it really hard to hold good groups. Swapped out to a Geisselle (sp) and, oh man, what a difference. You certainly don’t have to spend that much money but just about anything will beat the stock trigger and a replacement is easy to install.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would install a new trigger. There are many options and most are easy to install, just a matter of a couple of pins. I like Geiselle triggers, but they are more expensive. For self defense you want something that is 100% reliable and not too light (probably at least 3 lbs).

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another vote for replacing rather than reworking. I like the Timney, though it's more expensive than some others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I run Timney and Elfmans in my ARs. I like single stages over a two stage. But when it comes to AR triggers there are many options and opinions.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
JP spring kit and set screw above grip screw (to take some creep out).
Not the greatest, but an improvement, good enough to make my 16" into a decent yote killer.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Larue is available as a single-stage trigger now also. That is what I would recommend.

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started a thread asking about this trigger only a few days ago, asking for real hands-on experience with it. If you have used one, please give a critique. The thread is HERE.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have installed three of these 2 1/2 pound single stage triggers in my RRA varmint rifles.easy to install ,reliable and reasonable priced.Click on link below.
http://www.triggerwork.net/arparts.html

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On my ARs I have one Geissele and an ALG. The Geissele is a two stage on my target rifle and the ALG is their Advanced Combat Trigger on my M4 clone. I would recommend that one. $69 and the owner of the company is Geissele's wife.

NoCAL

Last edited by NoCAL; 12/10/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Replace with your choice. I prefer the extra safety of 2 stage in a semi. And it doesn't take much getting used to, in fact if you can't get used to it, it would amaze me. 2nd stage at 1.5 pounds on some are pretty sweet and pretty light for a semi.

Tuning anything stock other than just a tiny bit is the dumbest thing one can do. I say that with mileage under the belt. It takes way to much work and in the end it will usually double eventually if not more. OR what you accomplished was so little it didn't matter really. I say this having won some matches with a 7 pound plus trigger once that failed and I had to get it to pass weight and no time to tweak...

RRA or La Rue are cheap enough. Usually pretty decent. If not they can use a bit of tuning to get good.

When its important I'd go Geiselle these days but others YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495

Tuning anything stock other than just a tiny bit is the dumbest thing one can do. I say that with mileage under the belt. It takes way to much work and in the end it will usually double eventually if not more. OR what you accomplished was so little it didn't matter really.

For most people this is true.

It IS possible to modify and adjust a stock trigger group to be pretty good, but it takes a fair amount of skill and knowledge in trigger mechanisms, machining, and understanding of case hardened parts, so doing a good job of this to end up with a good and reliable trigger is out of reach for most people. It is possible for a few people and in that case it's not a dumb thing to do, but with the availability of cheap aftermarket triggers like those linked above, it's not really worth it anyway.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the help, everyone!

I ordered the LaRue two-stage trigger.

Merry Christmas!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Geissele trigger came with my Larue when I bought it years ago. I put a Larue MBT trigger in a Diamondback AR I picked up on the cheap from a friend. I think it cost less then 90 bucks when I bought it. I like both triggers and for the money I would put a Larue MBT in any fighting AR as it is plenty good and I notice very little difference between the Geissele and the MBT. Other then the Geissele costs over twice as much. Both are two stage and the break is good.

I think that you will like the Larue trigger. I had to send my first one back as oddly it would not reset, they covered all the costs with apologies. They are a first class top tier AR business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

601 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 64 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,632
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.