Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Remington 700 .30-06 with a SS barrel that’s been the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. At one time it shot a dozen consecutive 3 shot groups with 165 TSX bullets that averaged about 0.45 moa. That includes one 5/16” group at 200 yards. But that’s gone now. Rather suddenly the groups opened up to 2+ moa. I put a new scope on it, checked the bedding. Nothing has helped. And these crappy groups don’t have two holes touching with a flyer, they’re just generally bad.

I keep good records and I have about 1300 rounds through the barrel. Is it likely worn out? I always let the barrel cool between shots. I’ve cleaned it almost every time I’ve shot it, always from the breech. Usually use a bore guide but sometimes get lazy.

I have an a-bolt with over 1600 rounds and is still going strong. I’ve never shot a barrel out but it’s my understanding that 1300 rounds would be a pretty short life for an 06.

??

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would expect a barrel life of 5K rounds on a 30-06, assuming it hasn't been abused...

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have you tried another scope i.e. one that you know is reliable?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Have you cleaned it to bare metal using a good copper remover?

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New lot of powder?

Worn out brass?

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Like I said I changed the scope. The one I took off of it is doing fine on another rifle, and the one that’s on it now I bought new. One’s a Leupold VX3, the other a VX2.

And I used Swede’s copper cleaner before the last session and got very little blue out.

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The brass I used this morning had been fired three times and trimmed once. The powder is H4350. I can’t say how old it is for sure or if the bad groups started with this can. Maybe it’s worth trying a new can before replacing the barrel?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your barrel is fine,but your glass absolute Dog Schit. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Undoubtedly,the mounting system is too. Swipe a 6x MQ while you can,go 1913 inclined interface and gun for maximum ring spacing...then your "bad" barrel will be healed. Hint.

Thank me later.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Did you read my post about switching the scopes? The scope that was on this rifle when it’s accuracy started to decline started is now on a new Wby MarkV that is shooting sub-moa.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,you were the one asking questions,not I. Rifles talk,yet nobody fhuqking listens,as you attest obliviously. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Describe the mounting system,or better yet,dangle a picture of the piece of schit. Hint.

I only mounted (4) scopes today,upon 1913 interfaces. Hint.

This one will likely puke and now you can say you've "seen" a Franklin Whizzum. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

This one won't bobble and now you can say you've "seen" a 224 Speedmire. Hint.

This one won't either and now you can say you've "seen" a 1-7" HawkHill. Hint.

This one won't either and now you can say you've "seen" a Kustom Klassik. Hint.

You'd do well to simply shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same. Hint.

Bless your heart,for not being able to "do" that "much".

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My heavy 30-06 has about 6-7K rounds through it. Rifling is getting kinda janky in the throat area, but it still stacks the loads it likes.

Check out the two groups on the left side, bith RL-17/215 Berger.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SWFA 12X, Badger Ord rings, and Badger Ord 45 moa rail.

Long way of saying, I doubt your barrel is the problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HEAVY (solid) filled A5,Bart' MTU at 23" in 8.7" RPM. Marty 45 MOA 1913 welded to receiver,bolt handle fastened in similar fashion. One Brass Monkey worth of bolt handle. Matt's S/S bottom and Double-ounce S/S Shilen fire control system. LRTSi 3-12x G3 reticle(much prefer it to my LRTHi 18x's G2 reticle) and the fact that the 12X's track,while my 18X would not(they replaced it with LRTSi G3 18x). Whistles .796 BC's at nearly 2800fps,into wicked knots,via Lapooey false shouldered/positive headspaced Virgins.

Wouldn't change a fhuqking thing.

Hint....................(grin)

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Oh my, how I love show and tell time....

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by McInnis
I have a Remington 700 .30-06 with a SS barrel that’s been the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. At one time it shot a dozen consecutive 3 shot groups with 165 TSX bullets that averaged about 0.45 moa. That includes one 5/16” group at 200 yards. But that’s gone now. Rather suddenly the groups opened up to 2+ moa. I put a new scope on it, checked the bedding. Nothing has helped. And these crappy groups don’t have two holes touching with a flyer, they’re just generally bad.

I keep good records and I have about 1300 rounds through the barrel. Is it likely worn out? I always let the barrel cool between shots. I’ve cleaned it almost every time I’ve shot it, always from the breech. Usually use a bore guide but sometimes get lazy.

I have an a-bolt with over 1600 rounds and is still going strong. I’ve never shot a barrel out but it’s my understanding that 1300 rounds would be a pretty short life for an 06.

??

Shooting all copper bullets? When was the last time you cleaned the barrel real well, like down to bare steel? Is it copper fouled? Barrels/rifles dont just go from shooting sub moa groups to 2+" groups overnight.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Agreed, I bet a good cleaning with Wipe-Out will take care of this issue....Good luck 👍......Hb

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Wouldn't change a fhuqking thing.

Hint....................(grin)

Not even your underwear as we hear it reported up from up there.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Like I said I changed the scope. The one I took off of it is doing fine on another rifle, and the one that’s on it now I bought new. One’s a Leupold VX3, the other a VX2.

And I used Swede’s copper cleaner before the last session and got very little blue out.

Gotcha. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get some of the Barnes solvent and see what you get.

Probably best done outside so the house doesn't smell of ammonia for the next 3 weeks and the misses won't be so upset.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
OK, will try some Barnes solvent. You know that bottle of Swedes I have is quite a few years old and now I’m realizing something: I didn’t notice the strong ammonia smell when I used it the other day like I used to. I wonder if it’s gone bad.

Thanks for taking time to post that info Montana, that’s good.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
. . . And I used Swede’s copper cleaner before the last session and got very little blue out.

(emphasis added)

I'm no expert, but if that statement is accurate, then there is still copper in the barrel. And, if this is the standard that the barrel has been cleaned to over multiple shooting sessions, then it is likely there are multiple layers of alternating copper and carbon. Meaning, the problem is worse than a little blue on the patch would suggest.

While home doing chores, set the gun in a cleaning cradle and clean the hell out of it. Alternate between a good carbon cleaner and a good copper cleaner. Allow to sit for an hour or two between applying each solvent and wiping it out (using solvents safe for long soaks). Do this outside so you don't have to worry about fumes making Mrs. McInnis mad. Do multiple cleaning cycles. Do so until the patches are as white coming out as going in.

If the gun still shoots bad with your now- pristine barrel, then you will know to move your attention to the sighting system.

JMO

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.