Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Does a brake actually make the gunshot louder, or is it that the sound is directed in different direction making it seem louder to the shooter?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe that the DB rating is going to be the same. The brake redirects the sound more to the sides instead of allowing it to travel forward away from the shooter. I have only been around one gun during hunting season that had a brake and after we were done shooting I came to the conclusion that would be the last gun with a brake I would ever be around. I don't understand the fascination with brakes, unless you are shooting a 50 cal or maybe a 460 weatherby.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been around muzzle brakes some, never would own one.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I always try to shoot with ear protection, and I definitely notice that the rifles with brakes on them seem louder. I've never shot the same rifle back to back with/without the brake on. I recently put together a 350 legend AR, and the barrel came with a brake on it. Seems excessive to me, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove it and install a thread protector. The area where I use that rifle is somewhat close to other houses and I'd prefer to have it as quiet as possible.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They change the direction of the sound, not the total DB. From the shooter's position they're definitely louder so that's all that matters. I use them on some of my prairie dog rifles because they allow you to spot your shots through the scope at 20+ power. I'm always doubled up on hearing protection and after a day of shooting 2-300 rounds you'll start to feel even a 22-250 on the shoulder, the brakes make a long day of shooting a lot more pleasant.

Brakes have their place like everything else. If you shoot a lot you'll come to appreciate them. If you're a one box a year shooter who stuffs the wife's cotton balls in his ears for hearing protection you'll probably hate them. I only have them on a few rifles but they serve a purpose on those rifles and I wouldn't change them.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
They change the direction of the sound, not the total DB. From the shooter's position they're definitely louder so that's all that matters. I use them on some of my prairie dog rifles because they allow you to spot your shots through the scope at 20+ power. I'm always doubled up on hearing protection and after a day of shooting 2-300 rounds you'll start to feel even a 22-250 on the shoulder, the brakes make a long day of shooting a lot more pleasant.

Brakes have their place like everything else. If you shoot a lot you'll come to appreciate them. If you're a one box a year shooter who stuffs the wife's cotton balls in his ears for hearing protection you'll probably hate them. I only have them on a few rifles but they serve a purpose on those rifles and I wouldn't change them.

This. Crow Hunter has it right.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
From the shooters perspective and for folks on the shooting line The DB level is defiantly higher with a flash hider or a muzzle brake. Even with good hearing protection I am prone to give up on shooting for the day when one of these clowns sits down on the line with a pile of ammo.

Has a real way of messing things for everyone else on the line IMHO. Suppose we could schedule days of the week or times of the day that various accessories are allowed or discouraged.

We have a new shooting range here on the edge of town. Thought this could be nice. then we have an archery range 6 miles out of town.

Cant have everything perfect though I would like to see this the other way around.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
with the brake think of the sound as small sphere at the end of the gun, which grows larger surrounding the shooter and everything close (other shooters). while having no compensator it is more like an every increasing cone, widening towards the point of aim.

in long range shooting and both eyes open, it allows the shooter to "see" the smoke (discharge) emerging from the side of the rifle, which give assurance the shot was not pulled, and is "clean". This confidence allows the shooter to trust the elevation correction, and if its a miss, was probable more attributable to a "bad" wind call. In the proper light sun usually behind and over the shoulder it can also allow the shooter to see the bullet trail.

Nobody would disagree, but Im sure Stick will be along shortly to correct everybody.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As others have posted,
A cartridge only has so much energy.
A break couldnt substantially change that.

It does redirect it.

My 12ga O/U is ported.
Even though it is a low pressure/low blast application,
It is much more noisy. For bystanders. Shooting it,
you don't notice it. Guys waiting to shoot, don't like it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If your curious about how much.

go to any recoil calculating formula on the net.

run the formula with charge wt, plus projectile wt---- now run it with only projectile wt.,,, the difference is the amount of recoil contributed by the powder. this also correlates to the amount of recoil reduction any
compensator will bring to the rig for that particular load/gun. Of course the pressure makes only a difference in the "noise" dB count, not the recoil. So don't read jet effect/thrust etc. into it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am VERY astonished that everybody so far has correctly spelled the word "brake," rather than break.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Creedmore has a break... it's great... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Normal barrels go bang, barrels with muzzle breaks seem to go BOOOOM!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Over the years i've installed many brakes. I can almost guarentee that, when shooting at the mother of all bucks- you wont notice the noise OR recoil. Several customers have told me this and also that when someone else is shooting their gun- its REALLY LOUD!! This is the same customer that swore that his 300 mag kicked like a 30 30 with the brake on.I try to talk customers out of brakes but suggest a SOFT recoil pad, unlike the hard pads that a lot of guns come with these days. Been there, Done that!Just my 2 cents...Retired Now, Mel

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I am VERY astonished that everybody so far has correctly spelled the word "brake," rather than break.
No they didn't. See below.. smile

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
As others have posted,

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can also attest that with a muzzle brake, the down-range noise is LESS.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

A couple posts before yours!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
As others have posted,

It does redirect it.

My 12ga O/U is ported.
Even though it is a low pressure/low blast application,
It is much more noisy. For bystanders. Shooting it,
you don't notice it. Guys waiting to shoot, don't like it.

Some stupid illiterate, redneck screwed it all up.
Flipping, people can't spell for crap.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
On Monday I'm gonna bore sight and zero a CA Mesa in 6.5 Creed. Why it's shipped with a brake attached I dunno, but since it's the first brake I've ever used I'm leaving it on for now.

Interested to see how noisy the Creed is from the 22 inch barrel...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
the brake vs. break controversy, has been pretty interesting the last 30 years, initially I think the original use was compensator, as in Cutts compensator on Thompson Subs.

Not saying which is correct, but from a discussion point of view.

the formula for calculating recoil does not use pressure in its calculation.

in the vector analysis of the forces, there is no negative vector that would suggest any type of braking. the amount of recoil reduction is due to less ejecta bearing against the dia. of the end of the muzzle.

had this discussion with the folks at JP in connection with their "Sail" type brake, and their position is that a "jet thrust" is produced and the larger baffles capture this.

My reply was show me the math.

recoil is independent of pressure,

however there is a substantial "break" in the direction of the escaping gases.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
About 25 years ago I built a Mod 7 FS in 243 for my Grandson. Very lightweight, but I put a brake on it as he was 8yrs old. He was uncomfortable with it. I eventually removed the brake and he had no trouble from then on. Found out that the noise bothered him much more than the recoil.
Yes, hearing protection was always used.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 86 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.