Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have a Ruger stainless rifle that I'd like to DuraBlue, Cerakote or Gun Kote - whichever one that is closest to traditional matte bluing in appearance. The rifle won't be used hard, so I'm less concerned with the durability of the finish than the appearance - I want it to look as though it had been blued. I seem to recall that some firm somewhere actually blues stainless guns, so I guess I'd consider that too. After I sort out which finish to go with, I need to find a reputable firm to apply it and I don't mind spending what a good job costs.

Of course, life would've been much easier if I had bought the used blue/walnut gun instead of the stainless/synthetic one, but I didn't know at the time that I would quickly tire of stainless/synthetic, but I did. Apparently I'm a traditionalist at heart. I'll replace the tupperware stock with walnut after I get the metal refinished.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Im pretty happy with midnight blue cerakote.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Durablue, if applied properly.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Cerakote wise -

I’m just ordered some SOCOM blue, midnight blue, and graphite black so I can mix them and see if I can match the one I’m doing for a guy right now.

I’ll paint them straight up and see what I get - I’m not sure if pictures will do things justice but I’ll take some.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Kp321
Durablue, if applied properly.

I airbrushed on the DuraBlue matte Blue/black last weekend. I should have added some reducer and/or practiced with the airbrush some more first; got some spatters. I can't see any blue at all in it, but the texture is nice where there aren't spatters. I did another rifle years ago that came out very nice; I think it was DuraCoat "Gun Blue" and the color is dark blue, but looks like paint.

I'm thinking seriously about sending the rifle metal out to some experienced professional for CeraKote since I think it doesn't need the long curing time that DuraCoat does. I probably would have done that already but I need the rifle for deer season which starts next Monday.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sell tha dang thing and get what you want instead of throwing good money after bad.

LOL
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sell tha dang thing and get what you want instead of throwing good money after bad.

Your counsel is wise, but I just can't keep from fooling around with customizing it. Haven't mentioned the custom walnut mannlicher stock that's down the road. wink

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
60% gloss black, 40% midnight blue, light coat of clear.
Light angles on various surfaces dont do it complete justice on its entire evenness and shade of coat in this picture.
Make sure you get it done by a certified cerracoat guy.
(Do your homework on guys doing cerracoat.)
And not bubba subsituting materials and steps and telling ya its all good.....
If you have a guy with a excellent reputation and have seen examples of his work 1st hand i.e. friends who have had it done to their guns and aint had issue 1 with it.
Then that is the guy to roll with.
2 outfits here in the clarksville /ft cambell area that got their schitt straight.

All the others around here are like throwing the dice.
I would pay more for a certified cerracoat guy with a solid record of excellent work, than thinking "man im saving 50 or 75 bucks with fly by night bubba".

[Linked Image]

Last edited by renegade50; 12/02/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Carried one to the place that renegade50 used, I am hoping that my project turns out that nice

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Got a swatch of Midnight blue coming in the mail and plan to send the rifle to Mr. Fosnaugh for the application based on all the favorable comments I've read.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.