Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sadly it looks like my brother's marriage is headed for divorce. I say sad because he and I (and supposedly his wife) are Christians and we know that God hates divorce. In my humanness though I sure feel he will be better off without her (emotionally anyway). Financially is another matter. Which is why I am looking for advice on his behalf.

They live in Washington State and he said that it is a no fault divorce state. As such, apparently she will take half of the assets regardless of the circumstances.

As we all know there are 2 sides to the story but overall this one seems quite one sided.

She has not worked for years, claiming that she has chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and who knows what else. I believe she might be getting disability benefits but I am not sure about that.

Basically she sleeps all night and most of the day and contributes very little to the running of the house. My brother has tried to honor his wedding vows (in sickness and health etc) and take care of her but she has basically sucked the life out of him. The big blow up this week that caused him to vacate the house was that she essentially decided for them that her drunken bum of a son from a previous marriage was going to stay with them and that my brother had nothing to say about it. This son has stayed with them off and on with my brother biting his tongue and trying to be a loving and supportive husband but he had words with the disrespectful piece of crap and hurt the poor boys feelings. Among other issues the son decided (with the wife's urging) to start parking his car in the garage and my brother could just park his car in the driveway. Sadly my brother has allowed his wife to run roughshod over him for years and now it looks like she has decided (despite him bending over backwards to do right by her for years) that her drunken bum of a son (who is a grown man) is more important to her than the marriage is.

Clearly with that being the case my brother is better off without her but is there any way for him to not lose half of all he has worked for with her contributing basically nothing?

He has worked for the federal government for about 28 years and has a good retirement account and pension and also has the house paid off.

Just wondering if there are any lawyers here or other folks from WA State that have any legal type advice for him. Thanks much!

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He's F'd.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Half the assets means just that and I doubt there is little wiggle room in that. Includes the house. The argument will be what form each half will take. He needs to lawyer up n a big way.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
too late now, but in future, all men are insane, in the West, at least, to not get a vasectomy and put their assets into a NV corporation, kept a strict secret from everyone. do this before even DATING any women. Get a storage rental, have somebody else do it for you, or get a fake ID from the illegals hanging around Lowe's at 6 Am. Tell the NV attorney to never contact you. Leave a burner phone hidden in the storage , inside the cushion of an old chair, covered in old clothes, etc. use that phone to call him, but never from the storage. Never drive your car to the storage, the bitch might have a tracker on it. if you want kids someday, have them freeze some of your sperm. This will let an 18 year old have half a million $ by age 30 and you can then retire to the third world on your investments. and live large.

Last edited by satir; 12/07/19.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
1. He should have never left the house.
2. All debts and assets, 50/50, but it is Washington
3.good luck

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I did this once before. If it happens again, im of the scorched earth mentality. Run a bulldozer through it before giving her half of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not in Washington state, he's screwed. Rode it out with a couple of friends and neither ended well.

Postpone divorce proceedings, liquidate, move to a state that isn't as rough on a guy in a divorce then proceed with a well thought out plan that ends in divorce.

Could take a couple years but might save him half that government pension as well as whatever else he can safeguard while liquidating....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Even assets/retirement that pre-dated the marriage??

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never underestimate a woman...you’ll be surprised when you find out she’s two steps ahead of you...most everything you have can be replaced...it’s not worth paying lawyers to argue about things you can replace...it’s best to get along till it’s over then move on and don’t look back...

Public landowner...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
File first!

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by fburgtx

It's my understanding yes.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Inheritances no.

Turn things into cash

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx

I could tell you about one friend in Seattle that owned 125 homes when he married. Gained 8 more homes in the three years the marriage lasted, had those 8 homes in a corp. that was in both their names.

Took a year to get into court, typical there, she ended up with 25 homes a few hundred grand, alimony, and of course he had to pay her attorney fees..

And that's a guy that had the money to fight it....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pack up and leave and don't sigh the divorce papers after you take most of the bank account. leave enuff for 3 months of bills

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Assets that pre-date the marriage are usually the reason why a good attorney is important.

How long were they married?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
No legal advice here, just my condolences.

One of my daughters was in an exceedingly difficult marriage, and tried very hard for 24 years to make it work. Her husband at the time was a liar, a thief, a narcissist, and a druggie, with a bunch of very difficult behavior problems, being manipulative, domineering, and controlling.

My point for all that is that your brother can be honorably released from his marital obligations if he has done all that is possible, no progress seems possible, and the present situation is personally destructive. It's a marriage, not a suicide pact.

FWIW, my daughter got a protective order, which her husband violated with impunity. So the courts issued a second order, tightening the restraints and upping the penalties. He violated that one too, liberally. So the court issued a third order which permanently barred him from ever being present in their marital home. When the divorce judge saw that, he awarded the home to my daughter.

Oh, and my daughter just remarried, to a terrific guy. However bleak it is now, better times are ahead.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get a lawyer that is board certified in family law!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
She has not worked for years, claiming that she has chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and who knows what else.
But is it true? People really do get those things. I know it always looks suspicious, but it's possible she might actually be sick. I wouldn't call her a liar without having the facts.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by satir
too late now, but in future, all men are insane, in the West, at least, to not get a vasectomy.
Too bad your daddy didn't before he spawned you...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
What DD said, and it MUST be an Atty. VERY familiar with FEDERAL Pensions........... the 50/50 thing is nigh impossible to get past..........

But there is a way that it does NOT carry over into the monthly pension benefit.................

Find the Lawyer that knows about that...............

I worked with a guy that left the specific wording out of the final agreement, he now pays 50% of his retirement check until she passes or marries................. the later, of which, she will likely never do!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 73 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.