Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I invited a friend to hunt my number 1 stand who is a if it’s brown it’s down kind of person never had killed anything bigger than a spike buck I sat across the ridge and watched several does and small bucks pass by him all the time he’s texting me begging to shoot I told him to be patient and lo and behold he killed a decent 8 pt

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I invited a friend to hunt my number 1 stand who is a if it’s brown it’s down kind of person never had killed anything bigger than a spike buck I sat across the ridge and watched several does and small bucks pass by him all the time he’s texting me begging to shoot I told him to be patient and lo and behold he killed a decent 8 pt

If he's observant, a light shoulda came on.

Good coaching.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
UPDATE:

As part of the initial invitation, my son's friend had agreed to join us for a work day at the lease on Saturday, 11/30/19. My son called his friends on Friday, 11/29/19, to confirm the time that we were planning to pick him up and he replied that he was busy and wouldn't be able to make it. My son told him that the work day wasn't optional and that he wouldn't be invited back if he didn't do the work that he'd agreed to.

My son was pretty pissed that after we'd provided all of the hunting kit, bought the tags, paid for the processing last year and the taxidermy fees to have the buck that he shot last year mounted, that his friend wasn't going to follow through and do what he'd agreed to do. I told my son that it was a good life lesson for both of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned 200 aces in GA for 12 years, I built a cabin, planted trees, built stands, put my money, sweat and literally blood into the property. My three young sons hunted with and as they became successful, we agreed to shoot only "mature" bucks. I had friends and family wanting to hunt all the time and I had guests several times per year and eventually someone would shoot a yearling or really small buck. I was never too hard on them but it really burned me considering my sons would pass on deer only to be shot by others, not often but enough to get at me and they never had a clue how much work it took to make everything come together in November so they could show up and shoot. My family ties run deep from a long line of hunters and outdoors men so I was patient but friends who didn't honor my rules were not invited back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
Wow! This is about the harshest thread I’ve ever read. Value friendships much?

People who value your friendship will go the extra mile to fit in and to follow the rules, especially if they know anything about hunting. If they don't, then they're not your friends.

Okie John

I second what Okie John has to say. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've only been in on one lease, basically to help a friend fill a needed spot to be able to keep the lease. It wasn't expensive, and I never hunted it.

One of my best friend's sons is on a great lease and has invited me several times. I've declined, mainly because I have family land to hunt, and decent public land is close by. I took this kid to my spots years ago, where he killed his first half dozen deer with a muzzleloader I gave him. I'm proud of him for wanting to return the favor, but he's new to the lease idea, and he's already taken another non-lease member, who killed a great buck.

I've tried, in subtle fashion, to explain how this kind of thing rubs lease members the wrong way at times, especially when nice bucks are involved, and I don't want this kid to lose his membership. Hopefully he works all this out with his buds in time.

Last edited by paint; 12/03/19.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I always feel like I have to entertain a guest. That’s the main reason I don’t take them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
UPDATE:

As part of the initial invitation, my son's friend had agreed to join us for a work day at the lease on Saturday, 11/30/19. My son called his friends on Friday, 11/29/19, to confirm the time that we were planning to pick him up and he replied that he was busy and wouldn't be able to make it. My son told him that the work day wasn't optional and that he wouldn't be invited back if he didn't do the work that he'd agreed to.

My son was pretty pissed that after we'd provided all of the hunting kit, bought the tags, paid for the processing last year and the taxidermy fees to have the buck that he shot last year mounted, that his friend wasn't going to follow through and do what he'd agreed to do. I told my son that it was a good life lesson for both of them.

That seals it. He needs to be taught the "don't jack around the host" rule. He will only hear hunt reports from now on - if they speak.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
UPDATE:

between that and the first offense, i'd say that kid is a spoiled ass. if someone had done for me what you have done for him, they'd have a lifelong friend and helper. this kid sounds like he doesn't appreciate what you have done at all.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have learned a very hard lesson about allowing a neighbor to hunt with a very few rules he had to follow. It started 32 years ago when I bought 117 acres of land and the mother of a nineteen year old slow witted young man asked if her son could hunt deer. Trying to be agreeable I gave him four rules to follow. 1. Do not shoot any non-antlered deer 2. Do not shoot anything on the adjoining properties. 3. Do not use my property to access someone else's property. 4. When we are on the property, you are not to hunt. Opening day of the first deer season he shot a doe deer that was across the property line on my neighbor's place with the landowner watching. I let that and several other violations go. Then he used my place to get to a deer stand he had nailed up in an adjoining property where he had been told to stay off. He found the landowners son in "his" stand and ordered him out of it. When the boy said "this is our place, we hunt here" my "invitee" threatened to kill him. That is when my guest got his walking papers and you would not believe the hell we had with these people over revoking hunting privileges. It only ended with the sheriff coming out with an arrest warrant in the spring of 2018 and killing both nitwit mother and son. We only have immediate family hunting now and even some of them aren't allowed

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
They po-po killed the mother and son for being combative over hunting rights? Dayum

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
They po-po killed the mother and son for being combative over hunting rights? Dayum
NO. It's a very long 25 year story. They were shot for pulling guns and firing on the sheriff when he came out to serve an arrest warrant pursuant to a restraining order violation. I had secured a court order enjoining them from shooting across our property.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,340
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.