Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I found it. A new 1.5" UTC, NFCS, just like I've always wanted. Gonna' pull the trigger and order it Monday, unless you fellers can talk some sense into me. The fellers on the 1911 forum were no help at all, as they all vigorously cheered me on. The problem is, if I order this pistol, I'll blow my budget by at least $700.00. My thinking is, what the heck, I've wanted one of these for years and years, and I'm not getting any younger + NFCS Baers are not easily found on the used market. I know I'll love it (a considerable amount more than my first wife) but I don't really want to spend this much cash on a 1911... but there it is, ready for the taking. How can I pass it up?

I have also wanted a blued carbon steel Valor for quite some time and, in fact, I found one a few weeks ago; bought it on the word of the seller that it was in 9.5 condition. Unfortunately, when I received the blued Valor, I found that his description was overly optimistic - the finish was beat to hell with scratches and dings all over it. Needless to say, I returned the pistol during my inspection period.

The Baer was the first semi-custom 1911 I've wanted... Well, second, after the Wilsons I drooled over as a teen. So, I've looked at Wilsons, Nighthawks, Ed Browns, the Springfield Professional and a few others, but all those were really just a pipe dream, b/c even used, I wasn't willing to spend nearly 3K or more for one of them.

I strongly dislike spray and bake finishes, I'm not wild about SS, and finding a blued version of any of the above 1911s on the used market is extremely rare. So, my choice basically boiled down to the following: 1) wait for another blued carbon steel Valor to come up for sale, 2) Get a Colt Wiley Clapp and send it in to a 'smiff, to get it wrenched on the way I want it, or 3) bite the bullet and blow my budget to get the 1.5" UTC, NFCS I've always wanted.

So I'm gonna' order the 1.5", UTC, NFCS, on Monday...

I'm stoked to order it, but hesitant to spend the cash.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Let me be the first

What exactly is a 1.5" UTC NFCS?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I googled it all that came up was your post...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
Let me be the first

What exactly is a 1.5" UTC NFCS?

Don’t know about a 1.5” probably a typo. Les Baer 5” Ultimate Tactical Carry, No Front Cocking Serrations

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Swifty52: Correct. 1.5" is not a typo. For certain pistols that are exceptional, Baer offers a 1.5" guarantee; Guaranteed 1.5" groups at 50 yards.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Buy it. You will not regret this purchase. I owned that very pistol for some time and it shot like a finely tuned sniper rifle. Should have never let it go.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Money well spent. Les Baer guns are tight and well made.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Your OP is a little misleading for my old brain, if you would have put guarantee after 1.5" it would have clicked.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got it...

Beautiful choice. I go practically right by Baer's shop on my way to and from work. Love their stuff. Won't pay the price...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
johnw:

Believe me, I understand & as I stated above, I am hesitant about spending this amount on a 1911. For years, I have periodically looked for a premium 1911 at a reasonable price. I wanted a blued Valor, which I considered relatively expensive for around $1.3 - 1.5K, and that was my budget, but I've had a hard time finding one (I really didn't want a SS or Duty Treated SS Valor).

Then I considered a Colt Wiley Clapp, and while I realize that the Clapp is perfectly fine out of the box, I would want to send it into a competent 1911 'smith to customize to my liking, which would probably end up costing as much or [likely] more than the Baer UTC, 1.5," NFCS, not to mention the long wait associated with such custom work and thus the time without my new pistol.

I've wanted a Baer for a long time and and I now have an opportunity to get one, the way I want it; albeit, at a price that blows my budget, but for a reasonable price by Baer standards, and certainly less than a Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk or Springfield Professional - even used examples.

I know it's gonna' be an outstanding pistol.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/08/19.

- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CrimsonTide: I tend to agree w/ your assessment.

CraigD: Yessir.

Swifty52: No sweat.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
UTC is ordered.

- Del Gue
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You will not regret it.

Long after your finances are back to normal, you will still be enjoying your Baer. They are superb, and spending the extra for the 1.5" is money well spent for the satisfaction in my opinion. Same with getting the build the way you want.

Personally I picked up a 1.5" PII, and it shot phenomenally well. However there were a few things I did not like, such as the black front sight, or the huge boat paddles they use for ambis. I had a very competent 1911 smith put a old school Colt style single sided safety on mine as well as a fiber optic sight, and an S&A magwell. If you are going to spend the $$ on a Baer, shoot the heck out of it and carry it, you might as well customize it. cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Enjoy your new Baer!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mackay: Agreed. I'm stoked - I've wanted a UTC for many years. Since the UTC does not have an ambi., I should be safe there; however, I've read that they can be incredibly tight and that the edge is quite sharp and may need some mild filing - or maybe I'll replace it w/ a Wilson thumb safety. Regarding the sights, I'll see how I like them as configured, but I may change to a .140 Novak or possibly a gold bead or a green fiber optic, since my ageing eyes would likely benefit. Maybe some new shoes as well, but I'll see how I like the slims. Not sure if I'd like a magwell, as I've never used one before. I may also fit an EGR slide stop and maybe an Ed Brown Magwell, if I decide to get one. I certainly look forward to shootin' the snot outta' it.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/09/19.

- Del Gue
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Any Baer 1911 blows a Colt Wiley Clapp out of the water.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
High Noon, I think you're going to love that pistol. Every guy I've ever talked to that actually owns one does.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Any Baer 1911 blows a Colt Wiley Clapp out of the water.

Agreed. I prefer Colts, but there is no comparison.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hardly (if ever) do this, but I took a representative sample of a Baer, Wilson, Brown and Nighthawk (5" guns chambered in .45 Auto) to the range a few weeks ago and spent some time shooting them back-to-back. As close as they all are in terms of bells and whistles, there are in fact little nuances you can discern between them when you shoot them comparatively ..... but most (if not all) of the differences are fairly subjective in nature.

I remain personally convinced that Baer offers a lot of gun for the money and in my experience some really good deals can be readily found on new or like new guns at steeply discounted prices. I haven't found that to be the case nearly as often with the other brands.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
THR: Indeed, hence my previous plan of sending a Clapp into a 'smiff to get it wrenched on, which would likely increase the cost North of what I paid for the UTC.

local_dirt: Yep. That's what I've read and I'm sure I'll love it.

Mackay_Sagebrush: I like Colts as well, but I don't want to have to deal with sending it in to modify and the high expense and long wait associated with that whole endeavor.

41magfan: I think your comparison holds true, and you're correct that Baer is probably one of the best values out there. Baers are certainly one of the most accurate as well.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/10/19.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just a quick update: The Baer UTC 1.5 NFCS, a Boyt canvas pistol rug, 2 Chip McCormick 8 round Power Mags & 500 rounds of Federal American Eagle 230 grn FMJ ($18.45/box inc. tax & shipping) are on order. I should have everything in ~ 5 business days. I'm a'hankerin' to get shootin'.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/11/19.

- Del Gue
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 73 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.