Know who doesn’t?

UGA
Baylor
Wisconsin (right now)
Alabama
Oregon

So who is going to fill out the 8?

Answer is teams that have already been eliminated

These conference championships are basically the first round of the playoffs.

Enjoy the games and deal with the results.

UGA dies not deserve a second chance
Neither dues Bama
Nor does Oregon
Or Baylor
Or anyone else
Loses gave consequences- it paraphrase Obama 😉

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
8's a round number. That's all I got

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're right - this particular year there are no really strong 5th teams. That is not always the case. In 2014 both Baylor and TCU deserved a shot. In 2015 Stanford should have definitely played.

It's better to give a team that's not quite championship material a chance than to deny a team that deserves a shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who needs an 8 team playoff? College football.

It will happen eventually.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have you ever heard the saying "Any Given Day"?

All it takes in a chance!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would go so far to say the lack of a real playoff is the REASON there are VERY few teams in the running for the 4 team playoff. It comes down to recruiting and depth. The top recruits, generally, go to the programs that have the best chance of a National Championship. An expanded playoff levels things out, to some extent.

Take Basketball for example. There are 4 "1" seeds and one of them does win the National title just under 62% of the time(since 1985). Upsets happen, when a player know there is a good chance of being on a playoff team it makes it easier for that team to recruit. A team like Wisconsin, that seams to finish in the top 8 more often than not(but has yet to make the 4 team playoff) would benefit greatly. So would the top teams in the PAC12. Teams like Alabama and Clemson would absolutely NOT as it would make it harder for them to compete for recruits.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Who needs an 8 team playoff? College football.

It will happen eventually.

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This year the 4 team playoff catches the best, as the top 4 or 5 teams stand easily taller than whatever's left.
Other years, not so much.

I would rather see an 8 team playoff. It'll happen some day, there's lotsa money involved.

Black Cows Matter!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You could try a 6 team playoff and the #3 thru #6 could start a week early and #1 and #2 would get a bye the 1st week like the NFL playoffs.

I think Memphis, Boise State, and App State are the only other 1 loss teams. Not sure how Oklahoma would fare against any one of those 3.

Last edited by tpcollins; 12/08/19.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Why? One of the top 3 teams will eliminate the bottom 4 most of the time. Too many additional games piling on injuries late in the season is a minus. Next, the whining and clamor for a 16 team playoff so everyone gets a participation award?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I would go so far to say the lack of a real playoff is the REASON there are VERY few teams in the running for the 4 team playoff. It comes down to recruiting and depth. The top recruits, generally, go to the programs that have the best chance of a National Championship. An expanded playoff levels things out, to some extent.

Take Basketball for example. There are 4 "1" seeds and one of them does win the National title just under 62% of the time(since 1985). Upsets happen, when a player know there is a good chance of being on a playoff team it makes it easier for that team to recruit. A team like Wisconsin, that seams to finish in the top 8 more often than not(but has yet to make the 4 team playoff) would benefit greatly. So would the top teams in the PAC12. Teams like Alabama and Clemson would absolutely NOT as it would make it harder for them to compete for recruits.

Too bad Wisconsin didn’t finish off Ohio State....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Too bad Wisconsin didn’t finish off Ohio State....

Comes down to talent and depth, the gap between Wisconsin and OSU isn't as big as it used to be, but it is still pretty substantial. Paul Cryst is building a good program, The recruiting has been getting better since Bielema got fired(long overdue). ALMOST back to where we were before Bielema now, as long as they keep the program moving in the right direction, they will get there. Personally, I think they are at least 2 years out.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Might as well have a 12 team playoff

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hanco
Might as well have a 12 team playoff

If you want to get technical, EVERY OTHER COLLEGE FOOTBALL DIVISION has at least 24. Too much money to be made on Bowl games for that....with the money they make every March though...can't believe they haven't thought about cashing in in December/January too...

Last edited by CowboyTim; 12/08/19.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tpcollins
You could try a 6 team playoff and the #3 thru #6 could start a week early and #1 and #2 would get a bye the 1st week like the NFL playoffs.

I think Memphis, Boise State, and App State are the only other 1 loss teams. Not sure how Oklahoma would fare against any one of those 3.

Do what! They are not on the same planet as OU.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by tpcollins

I don’t follow it real close, but seriously?

NRA Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 73 invisible), 3,551 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.