Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Backpack hunting, winter hiking.

Need something to heat water for meals, make coffee.

The lighter the better.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
BP-B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jet boil micromo or jet boil zip.. or like most of us get the jet boil flash..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yup Jet Boil

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You said, the lighter the better:

Answer: Soto Windmaster micro and an MSR Titan Kettle. About 7.2 oz total and kicks butt. BUT, if below about 12 degrees, performance of any canister stove is going to start falling short. If true Adirondack winter, you are better off with a propane adapter or a liquid fuel stove like the Whisperlite etc.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Just get a MSR Dragonfly and be done with it, so you'll be covered for all situations in the future. Titanium MSR, EVERNEW or Snow Peak kettle, and add anything you need later for pot and skillet wise.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the MSR whisper light. Works great, works on multiple fuels. Downside is it can be a little tippy. I've used it backpacking the High peaks and camping at lean to's in the ADK's as well as making coffee when snowshoe hare and cottontail hunting with the beagles.
My son has the jetboil and loves it. Backpacks in Wyoming and no issues with his ag 10,000 feet elevation.

A little pricey, but light are these cookware products.
https://www.vargooutdoors.com/pots-mugs.html

And cookware from MSR
https://www.msrgear.com/products/cookware

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For cold weather camping, I use an MSR whisperlite or MSR Dragonfly because white gas performs in cold temps. I prefer the Whisperlite because it seems like the Dragonfly uses more fuel. The Whisperlite has been the standard by which all other stoves are measured for 30 years. I also own an MSR XGK but it's a tank by modern standards.
MSR Whisperlite
MSR Dragonfly
I own the MSR Whisperlite International but I think if I were to buy a new Whisperlite it might be the Universal because it will work with white gas or butane.
MSR Whisperlite Universal

I use an Optimus Crux or an MSR Pocker Rocket for 3-season camping.
Optimus Crux
MSR Pocket Rocket
Wind can reduce the performance of butane stoves so, I use an MSR wind screen when it's windy.
MSR Wind Screen

I use a GSI 2 quart Halulite kettle for boiling weater. It can actually boil about 1 1/2 quarts at a time. The Halulite is pretty lite and they claim that it conducts heat better then Titanium.
GSI Kettle

The GSI kettle and the Optimus Crux with an 8 oz. canister of Isobutane is the lightest workable setup that I have been able to devise. The 8 oz. canister of Isobutane actually weighs about 13 oz. because you have to inlude the weight of the canister. I have a smaller kettle also but it just doesn't heat enough water at once.

Lots of people like the Jetboil and its' competitors. But those combined stove/pot appliances are heavier than my setup and I haven't been able to convince myself that the extra weight is worth it. Also, they are less flexible. You can't use a Jetboil to fry a fish or simmer a caserole.

I use propane in 16oz. canisters and brand X appliances for car camping because they are the most convenient. But they are heavy and bulky not the best alternative for backpacking.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spring, summer, fall, Jetboil.

Winter, or when melting snow, MSR Whisperlite.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I use a jet boil year round and keep canisters at the foot of my sleeping bag.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for the good info all!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Jetboil MiniMo.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Four Dog "Bush Cooker".

Link

Phil

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve been happy with my MSR Pocket Rocket and an MSR Titan kettle. I used a jet boil for a season or two but went back to MSR. Smaller, lighter and works just as well. And, I can use the Ti kettle over a campfire.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.