Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Recently I acquired a 4.25 in. barrel, L frame, S&W M-69 .44 Mag. I am very familiar with 9mm autos , .38s, .357s, etc., but this is the first serious recoiling pistol I have had. I have been practicing with it a fair amount and have gotten fairly proficient with it, mostly using handloaded .44 Spls using 7.5 gr Unique under a 240 gr coated lead SWC. No recoil problem with this load. However, when shooting magnums using 10 gr Unique under a 240 gr coated lead SWC, the rear of the trigger guard whacks the second knuckle of my middle finger. So, am I somehow gripping it incorrectly or do I need to change the grips? I have been using a 2 hand grip. If I need to change the pistol's grips, which would you recommend? It has the original factory S&W rubber grips. I shot 50 rounds of magnums through it this afternoon and my knuckle is still sore. Thanks for the reply!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Go ask Biden.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I cannot have meaningful conversations with DemonRats.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Get your heinous self a 9MM. It will do anything and more than anyone will ever need. It will do for plinking, bullseye, self defense and hunting everything from gnat to Grizzly Bear and I am sure it is capable for Cape Buffalo and Elephant.
Plus, you will be in style..
All this blather on other threads about the Python, popularity of the 40 S&W and the other threads concerning other calibers is a waste of time. No one or nothing will ever reach the great greatness of the greatest of all time the great 9MM. The magic, magnificent, powerful, accurate and miraculous 9MM will make all shooters stylistic and envied by everyone in the shooting world.
Get your inadequate self a 9MM and become miraculous in the shooting world.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know what you're talking about. You'll need to upgrade your grips so something that fills in the area behind the trigger guard. Lots of good grip makers out there. Try Herretts, Badger, Altamont and Hogue to name a few.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep, get some different grips.

I can’t shoot Ruger’s with standard wood grips that well, they are just to small.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Handgun grips are very personal -- nobody's hand or grip is the same, so you may have to do some trial and error to find out what works for you.

I've been using the S&W 500 X Frame Hogue grips (Hogue Tamers) for quite some time. I use them both stock and modified by sanding off the finger groves and rounding the butt. Picture below shows stock on 4 1/4" M69 and modified on 2 3/4" M69. I can't do grips that leave the backstrap uncovered -- hammers the bone at the base of my thumb -- the hogue 500s cover the backstrap. I'm a big fan of the M69 - my favorite handgun platform and cartridge.

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-grips/smith-wesson/xzframe

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

FWIW,

Paul

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I had the same issue with my 629, when shooting heavy (265 grain) bullets at max loads. I went through about 3 different replacement grips before finding the one that worked for me! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by paul105

Handgun grips are very personal -- nobody's hand or grip is the same, so you may have to do some trial and error to find out what works for you.

I've been using the S&W 500 X Frame Hogue grips (Hogue Tamers) for quite some time. I use them both stock and modified by sanding off the finger groves and rounding the butt. Picture below shows stock on 4 1/4" M69 and modified on 2 3/4" M69. I can't do grips that leave the backstrap uncovered -- hammers the bone at the base of my thumb -- the hogue 500s cover the backstrap. I'm a big fan of the M69 - my favorite handgun platform and cartridge.

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-grips/smith-wesson/xzframe

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

FWIW,

Paul

Thanks for the info and for the link! I ordered Hogue grips for both my M-69 and my J frame M-36 this evening. Earlier this afternoon I went back to my local shooting range with my M-19, which I had installed Hogue rubber grips already, and my M-69 and did a comparison shoot. No issue at all with the .357 whacking my knuckle and same issue as before with the .44. The M-19 with the Hogue gives some knuckle room behind the trigger guard as opposed to the factory S&W rubber grips that is almost nil. Judging from the photo illustrations on their website, their grips should also much improve my M-36 .38 as well. Thanks again and to others that replied.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.