Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So what's the deal?

Leave your dies set up and less spinning them in and out?

Why not a Dillon 550?

Thanks.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Lyman turret press. I run two presses, an RCBS that is for resizing and priming, and the Lyman. I keep my bullet seating dies in the Lyman, with a bullet pulling die in there also.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use Redding T7 with 4 or five different turrets. I load for my siblings and they each have different calibers. I have dies, sizing, neck, bump, seating set up for each caliber on a die. If I want to reload for a specific gun, I just swap a turret. Everything is set up for that gun.
I do deprime on a separate Lee press, just to keep the gunk off the Redding.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Higbean- exactly as you say.

I have a Lee (....sorry....I guess) and just bought a turret for each cartridge. A Lee turret costs all of $12. I leave a bullet puller in one turret. and just change it's collet depending on caliber.

For my 6mm I have two different seating dies in the turret, a Lee for 85 hpbt and a RCBS for 100 spt.

In another I have a neck sizer and a full length sizer because I was occasionally loading for a friends rifle. Having four hole turrets makes things SO convenient. Set and forget.

I reload 9mm and 40s&w likewise. KrakMT points to one thing the Lee is great at- de-priming and priming neatly.

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/05/19.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have really wanted a Redding T-7 for a while now. But........ I have two friends with Lyman turret presses, one has the T-Mag and the other the new 8-Station press. They both say they've had no problems with them and load ammo just as accurately as their Rockchuckers.

The Lyman 8-Station is a $100+ less than the Redding. Midway has the Lymans on sale right now. The savings could almost pay for three extra turrets and the cover a big chunk of the rifles I'm currently loading for.......

Decisions, decisions.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I have really wanted a Redding T-7 for a while now. But........ I have two friends with Lyman turret presses, one has the T-Mag and the other the new 8-Station press. They both say they've had no problems with them and load ammo just as accurately as their Rockchuckers.

The Lyman 8-Station is a $100+ less than the Redding. Midway has the Lymans on sale right now. The savings could almost pay for three extra turrets and the cover a big chunk of the rifles I'm currently loading for.......

Decisions, decisions.........

10 years down the road, $100 will be like $10/year...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Lyman turrets are lower priced than the T7 also.
I think the Lyman is pretty good.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 12/08/19.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The turret turns........laugh

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Higbean
So what's the deal?

Leave your dies set up and less spinning them in and out?

Why not a Dillon 550?

Thanks.

A few years ago I thought I'd give a turret press a try. Buddy of mine sold me his lightly used Lyman. I started out just doing handgun cartridges on it, now I'm loading my rifle cartridges, including the 375 H&H, on it with excellent results.

For most of my loading, I don't really want a progressive loader. It didn't take long though before I found that I was loading pistol & rifle cartridges quite a bit faster than I'd ever managed on my good old Rockchucker. I've still got the RCBS, but haven't loaded on it in over a year.

Somehow it's just a little faster, no problem. I use it like a single stage press, I think the speed improvement comes from the wide-open front, allowing fast access to the cartridge & ram. I dunno. Maybe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards, Guy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

10 years down the road, $100 will be like $10/year...

Well then, I'll just put $10 a year into a jar and in 10 years I'll buy the T-7...............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I have a rcbs...love it. I’ll never go back.

The Redding is better imho

GOD Bless America
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My first turret press was a Lyman, that I bought around 1970 or ‘71. Bought my second Lyman about 1990. I’ve never found anything to complain about, they seem to produce good, accurate reloads! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/15/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use my turret indexer when making 9mm and 40 cal pistol rounds but I remove the index rod ( so the turret does not spin) when making rifle ammo. I am typically tinkering loads or making a small number of rounds for each rifle. I weigh each charge separately for these and don't use a powder dump of any kind for this.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I say Dillon 550. I load all my precision ammo (6 Dasher, 260 Rem, .223, 224 Valkerie, etc) on my 550. I ditched the powder throw and replaced it with a funnel. Charges get weighed out on another piece of equipment. It's FAST. Every pull of the handle results in a finished round. My powder dispenser is fast, so by the time I check the last completed round for length and run the handle it has the next charge waiting for me. I'd estimate 10-12 seconds a round once I'm rolling.

To make a progressive really work, you need to trim (if necessary) before sizing. My process:

Clean brass
Anneal
Trim if necessary
Load
Clean finished rounds (I dump them back in the tumbler for 5 minutes to get the case lube off)

I'm getting velocity SD's of 3-4 with this process. Tolerance on length is typically plus minus 0.0015". Plenty good enough.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Redding T-7 that I do all my rifle rounds on. I leave the dies set up and change heads. I can't see any difference, between rounds coming of the T-7, or the rock chucker. I have two rock chuckers set up one for pulling bullets and one for checking shoulder set-back. (Redding gauge). I load all my pistol stuff on a Dillon 650, it's a huge time saver.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.