Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of ChiComm Cabela Elk Hunters which I actually like. What I don't like is waiting for the soles to pop off in severely cold weather like I witnessed twice in our WY camp 3 weeks ago during two big storms. Who makes the best STITCHED on soled boots--preferably higher like 10"?

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Look for a STORM welt or a GOODYEAR welt in boots you are contemplating.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alico, which is an Italian firm makes a pair of Full grain Italian leather, leather lined, Goodyear welt boots that is LEGIT if they work for your feet. I have a pair of 12.5m with an aftermarket plastic/merino insole that is great- but they aren’t light. I believe these boots are only available through Sierra trading post. The price will make you eyes pop out of your head as they are quite affordable. The build quality is high as is the quality of the hardware used.

Last edited by 175rltw; 11/22/19.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've owned two pairs of Alico...The "guide" model I used Onwas the predecessor to the current abomination they call the "guide"...the current one has one less eyelet above the ankle, and a bunch of seams above the ankle and on the achilles. My older "guide" was one leather chunk all the way to the cuff, and was like a ski boot new. The noteworthy aspect of that boot was that it did four glacier-based sheep hunts, with only one resole, and they weren't totally destroyed. Only lost some stitching on the achilles piece. Incredible boot, but a bugger to break in. Low to mid volume fit.

The "summit" model has a WAY more voluminous fit, to the point where it doesn't work for me in steep stuff. It is great on the trail, and great in the cold or snow. Waxed with gaiters and you're bulletproof in deep snow. The fit allows for 2 pairs of wool socks and works to very cold temperatures.

I bought a new pair of "north col" welted boots from LL Bean about 15 years ago, right before discontinuation. Very high quality, but too high volume as well. I used the s--t out of these moose hunting, worn over the neoprene stocking footed hip waders. Nothing better, but a week of constant soak is rough on the leather!

Aside from Alico, you don't have much choice other than picking off near-new-condition vintage boots on ebay. This is a low-probability affair. I'm currently trying to like a pair of Vasque Montana boots, but the right boot for whatever reason was lasted to a foot shaped like a boomerang, and my heel pushes the heel cup to the right too much. Lots of boots like that...would someone please make a straight boot? I'd be taking a hard look at older ebay norwegian welt or littleway welt boots: pivetta, Fabiano, vasque, raichle, scarpa, and the like. You're in hog heaven if you have a smaller foot, 9 or less. Tougher at 12.5 or 13! One of these boots with roughout leather, if waxed with straight beeswax, is a forever piece if you can get it broken in. Nothing else comes close; if it did, I'd own it.

Originally Posted by 175rltw
Alico, which is an Italian firm makes a pair of Full grain Italian leather, leather lined, Goodyear welt boots that is LEGIT if they work for your feet. I have a pair of 12.5m with an aftermarket plastic/merino insole that is great- but they aren’t light. I believe these boots are only available through Sierra trading post. The price will make you eyes pop out of your head as they are quite affordable. The build quality is high as is the quality of the hardware used.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Danner's site claims that they sew soles on some of their boots, at least.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lowa, Kenetrek, Schnee’s, Zamberlan are all good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've used the American made Danners for over 20yrs in Alaska, worked very well and love the bobbed soles.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JMR40

I had a pair of USA Danner Pioneers soles give out completely in ankle deep mud. The uppers are stiched to the mid-sole and then the poron mid sole is glued to the vibram sole. The glue and the poron completely deteriorated. I re-glued them but it wouldn't hold to the decomposing rubber. All I can figure out is some containment or just heat and age caused the problem. I am suspect that some other shoes didn't off gas some solvent in the closet or ozone deteriorated the poron. Once I get them re-done it will be with a denser mid-soles and hopefully screws or other secondary attachment. My European boots done this way have lasted for years. I like leather mid-soles for heavy use.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Glued on soles aren’t the issue. Crappy boots are the issue.

I don’t think these soles are coming off. They are glued on.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Soles 'popping' off screams cheap junk boots, or boots that were over-heated drying near a fire.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, after Danner started having their glued on soled boots made off shore, I had a chance to talk briefly with a Danner rep in a shoe store. He said the EPA , which was newly formed at the time, was the reason. One of their 1st official acts was to outlaw the glue used to make millions of pairs of shoes and boots. At that time, there was no suitable alternate glue that would hold.
With 1 single, trivial sounding regulation, they killed the entire US shoe industry and forced it to China.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

We don't want GLUED up soles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Glued on soles aren’t the issue. Crappy boots are the issue.

I don’t think these soles are coming off. They are glued on.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yeah, unlikely to have $600 ice climbing boots made for rigid crampons and edging come apart....for awhile.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excuse the intrusion, but I have similar question. I have some Cabella's lightweight camo hunting boots and the toe has come unglued on both boots. I have glued another earlier pair with contact cement that held, but they were no longer waterproof. What would be the best glue to use to glue them down and have them waterproof.

thanks

Charlie

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I find the glue holds up just fine, it is the funky foam "rubber inter layer deteriorates and crumbles.

Sort of thread drift, BUT . . .

Why can't I buy a rubber cement like they have in the shoe shops that really does glue things up?

Last edited by LouisB; 02/18/20. Reason: Add info

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Some years back, used to repair leather climbing boots where the sole started separating from bashing about on mixed ice, snow and rock terrain using epoxy. Sand the welt.

Usually good for a couple trips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Irish Setter Elk Tracker.Great boots and they don't leak.Those glued on soles are crap.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=irish+se...ag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_ni9r253hd_e

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
There are plenty of high quality modern european mountaineering boots w/ non sewn soles. Light, waterproof and durable. Scarpa, Lowa, Salewa, Asolo etc. These are well proven all over the world in any conditions you can imagine. There is nothing wrong w/ 'old school' stuff but boots have made great advances that are performance enhancing and comfortable.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, the Asolo boots were the ones I had to "re-glue", periodically. Good boots, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.