Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm a bit out of touch on rangefinders...quality, value, etc. Looking to pick one or two up for Christmas gifts and maybe keep one for myself.

I was eyeballing a Vortex Ranger a while back but never committed. I see Midway has several products on sale. Doug @ Cameraland has some on sale as well, including the Leica 2700 and Athlon 1200.

Would prefer not to have to spend $500 to get a decent unit....especially since I'm probably looking to pick up two. Are the Athlon 1200yd units @ $190 worth the time or should I look at something else?

Primary use for myself and the gift recipient would be hunting clear cuts and food plots in the south as well as random use for range time.

Definitely open to suggestions if there are better options.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Are the Athlon 1200yd units @ $190 worth the time or should I look at something else?

I've been using an Athlon 1200 for a year or two now. Good value for the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call us, mention this forum and we will do the Athlon Midas 1200 Yard Rangefinder for you for $179.99, Merry Christmas smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've no personal experience with this model, or brand, but have read good things. Not a Bass Pro fan, but this appears to be a smokin' deal: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sig-sauer-kilo-2200bdx-rangefinder

Last edited by drano 25; 12/04/19.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drano 25
I've no personal experience with this model, or brand, but have read good things. Not a Bass Pro fan, but this appears to be a smokin' deal: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sig-sauer-kilo-2200bdx-rangefinder

That’s an awesome deal!

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

That’s an awesome deal!

Just an FYI, yesterday was apparently some kind of "pre-sale". The SIG is back to normal price of $499 today. I believe it is supposed to be back at $299 on Dec 8th - 15th.

I seem to have lost my Leica, which I bought from Doug on a great deal several years ago. I may pick up this SIG to replace it. The deal Doug has on the Leica CRF 2700-B right now is a great one.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Look at Sig...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

That’s an awesome deal!

Just an FYI, yesterday was apparently some kind of "pre-sale". The SIG is back to normal price of $499 today. I believe it is supposed to be back at $299 on Dec 8th - 15th.

I seem to have lost my Leica, which I bought from Doug on a great deal several years ago. I may pick up this SIG to replace it. The deal Doug has on the Leica CRF 2700-B right now is a great one.

Maybe because Cabelas/Bass pro has a 10% off & free shipping today only.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d buy that sig on sale in a heart beat if I didn’t have the smaller brother

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what kind of warrentee does the athlon rangefinder have?

Ed

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1234
what kind of warrentee does the athlon rangefinder have?

Ed

According to their website, they say it carries a full, lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by Athlon's Website
Your Athlon Optics product is not only warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. Athlon will also repair or replace, at no charge to you, your product if you should damage it through normal use. No receipt needed, no registration required. This is a commitment that Athlon will be the best product you can buy for your money.

*This warranty does not cover damages caused by deliberate damage, misuse, theft or maintenance provided by someone other than the Athlon Authorized Service Department.

*Athlon Life Time Warranty only covers binoculars, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, red dots, prism scopes, magnifiers, and laser rangefinders. Other Athlon Products have standard one year warranty.

https://athlonoptics.com/lifetime-warranty/

Sig says lifetime as well, but I have read a few discussions on a other sites last night that say Sig only warrants the electronics within the rangefinders for 5 years. I downloaded the owners manual to see if I could find specifics but haven't read it yet.

Also, Sig is made in the USA. I am assuming the Athlon is sourced from Asia, though I haven't found a specific reference yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Sig is back on sale today Dec 8th at least. Just ordered one but when I went to check out the shipping was $134!!!! There is no shipping if you pick up in store so that's what I did. Don't know if that is an in-store deal only or not.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

The Sig is back on sale today Dec 8th at least. Just ordered one but when I went to check out the shipping was $134!!!! There is no shipping if you pick up in store so that's what I did. Don't know if that is an in-store deal only or not.

Weird. I just ordered the Sig through BP as well and got 2 day free shipping to my residence.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I order one from Cabela’s yesterday. A Leupold, $179. Nothing great,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Weird. I just ordered the Sig through BP as well and got 2 day free shipping to my residence.

Maybe they just miss me?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the Sig 2200 and the Athlon Midas. The Sig reaches 1500 yards easily and 2000 on occasion. The display on the Sig is red, which is a big plus at dusk. It is a straight up rangefinder, with no angle compensation or other features, and is well worth three hundred bucks.

The Athlon Midas will reach 1000 yards with ease, and mine touches 1200 on occasion. The display is black, which is my only gripe. It does, however, give angle compensation data which is a big deal to bowhunters. At $179 from Doug, it is an absolute Best Buy, and a real bargain and value.

I carry and use both and find that both of them suit me better than did my old Leica CRF 1200. In fact, I sold my Leica as soon as I got the Sig.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's coming up for me at checkout as well, though I haven't pulled the trigger. $315 after tax is pretty tempting.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Yeah, they got me for 10% tax but I had some points to redeem and sweeten the deal. Looking forward to trying it out.

Had I seen Doug's flash sale on the Athlon for $169 before I bought the Sig, I may have gone that route.

Sharpsguy's comments about the red vs black display is something I hadnt read or heard about yet. I'm thinking I'll be happy with the Sig.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You'll like the Sig. Mine has ranged a fox in a pasture at 387 yards, and a crow at 423. I didn't want to shoot the fox, but I killed the crow with my 40-70 Sharps. One of my better shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks, Dealin' Doug....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
470 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.