Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had one, shot 140 Berger’s and Ballistic tips less than an inch. I used IMR 4350 powder.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Been hunting with mine since my Dad gave it to me in 1974. He won it in a raffle on a $.25 (cent) chance in '63. It's been to Africa and all over North America. Never let me down.
Finally shot the barrel out a few years ago and had Darcy Echols screw a new one on it. Used to shoot the 120 gr Nosler Solid Base but changed in about 82 to the 125 gr Partition. About 1995 I found the 130 gr Acubond and that is my go to bullet ever since. Just took a nice elk with it in Idaho, one shot about 300 yds,, DRT. Big 7x8 bull. My go to load used to be 74.5 gr of H870 but the new barrel prefers about 72 gr. Yeah, I know, I hoard what little H870 I've got left. Next best that I've found is Supreme 780.
I've got several safes full of rifles and like most of them but only 2 rifles have earned a name, the 264 Westener and my Pre-64 Mod 70 in 375 H&H. My 264 is Magic.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i still have these two Winchesters the westerner 26 inch barrel and a lightweight 22 inch barrel ,the lightweight with 100 grain bullets shoots 3/4 groups the westerner i have never shot it. i also have a pre 64 rebarreled too a 257 Weatherby Mag. that rifle shoots 1/2 inch groups. the 264 Win.Mag. is a great cartridge and it might be better than my 257 Weather Mags ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by test1328
Hi BSA,
Sorry I'm a little late in seeing your post and responding. I apologize up front for the following long post!

I think I've mentioned on these pages before that my Dad gave me his .264 WM Westerner a few years ago. I love it! In fact, I've always loved and coveted that rifle ever since I learned what they were and that my Dad had one. I was probably 10 years old when I realized what the 264 WM was. I used to dream of hunting monster mule deer with that rifle before I was old enough to actually go hunting.

Unfortunately for me, my Dad loved that rifle too, and I never ever got a chance to even shoot it. Dad killed many elk and mule deer with that rifle. Then a few years ago, after helping my Dad out with some manual labor, he quietly asked that I follow him down to his gun safe and he took that rifle out and handed it to me and asked me if I wanted it. I told him of course I wanted it but I didn't want to take his rifle. He told me that he wanted me to have it for helping him out so much and because he was getting too old to get out hunting much anymore. I told him that I really didn't need to take a rifle from him that I knew he loved so much but he told me to go ahead and take it. His last words on the subject were, "you better take it while you have the chance before I change my mind." So I took it. You would have thought I won the lottery! My Dad provided me with all of his reloading dies, bullets, and reloading records, so at least I wasn't starting from scratch.

As far as the cartridge goes, I love it, but realistically, it isn't much more than a .270 Win. if you follow the pressure guidelines. As you can see from some of the posts above, you can achieve some impressive velocities if you don't follow pressure guidelines from the bullet and powder manufacturers. I like to live more on the cautious side so try not to push past the recommended maximum loads. If you do that, you will quickly find that the velicites that you can reach aren't much more than the 270 and can't match the 7mm Rem. Mag. However, you can load the 264 for plenty of velocity to hunt most big game in the lower 48. I would only hesitate using it on the big bears of AK.

My Dad claimed he always got better accuracy with the 2-diameter Winchester bullet and that when Winchester quit selling it as a component in the 70s, that he never could find a bullet that would shoot as good. I searched and searched for some of these 2-diameter bullets after I got the rifle and finally found some Remington Core-loks made years ago. I tried them this past summer and was highly disappointed in the accuracy. We're talking 6-8 in. "groups." It was obviously the bullets, since other bullets like the 140gr. Partitions shot in 1-1.5" groups. I used a 140gr. Partition load to shoot my antelope this year using my Dad's rifle. There have been discussions elsewhere on the campfire where people say that Winchester and others still use the 2-diameter bullet in their factory ammo. I'm a handloader at heart, so have never tried any of the new factory ammo.

One last note: I was hesitant to try the new 127gr. Nosler Accubond Long Range bullets in this rifle due to the slower twist rate as compared to some of the newer twist rates on current 6.5 rifles. I asked about this on the Gunwriters forum and Mule Deer (John Barsness) told me that he had no problems when he tried it in his Westerner and at the altitude that I typically hunt in, that I should have even less problems. I was already prepped for hunting season to use the 140 gr. Partition, but on my last trip to the range, on a lark, I loaded three rounds with the ABLR bullet with a powder charge that I thought would work. I shot those three into about 0.5". Not sure that I could repeat that and it may have been a complete fluke, but I'm definitely going to try those bullets some more when I have another chance to load some up.

Bottom line for me, as a hunter and handloader, is that the .264 WM is a lot of fun to play with and it has some panache and nostalgia that makes it even cooler. However, if someone was looking only for an efficient rifle to use strictly as a tool for hunting here in the US, I would tell them that there are probably much better cartridges to get the job done. I hope that helps you out a little bit!

Great recap. I think the P64 is a 9 twist so it really doesn’t seem too handicapped. I know I’d be okay with working one out if I could find one for my safe.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by test1328
Hi BSA,
Sorry I'm a little late in seeing your post and responding. I apologize up front for the following long post!

I think I've mentioned on these pages before that my Dad gave me his .264 WM Westerner a few years ago. I love it! In fact, I've always loved and coveted that rifle ever since I learned what they were and that my Dad had one. I was probably 10 years old when I realized what the 264 WM was. I used to dream of hunting monster mule deer with that rifle before I was old enough to actually go hunting.

Unfortunately for me, my Dad loved that rifle too, and I never ever got a chance to even shoot it. Dad killed many elk and mule deer with that rifle. Then a few years ago, after helping my Dad out with some manual labor, he quietly asked that I follow him down to his gun safe and he took that rifle out and handed it to me and asked me if I wanted it. I told him of course I wanted it but I didn't want to take his rifle. He told me that he wanted me to have it for helping him out so much and because he was getting too old to get out hunting much anymore. I told him that I really didn't need to take a rifle from him that I knew he loved so much but he told me to go ahead and take it. His last words on the subject were, "you better take it while you have the chance before I change my mind." So I took it. You would have thought I won the lottery! My Dad provided me with all of his reloading dies, bullets, and reloading records, so at least I wasn't starting from scratch.

As far as the cartridge goes, I love it, but realistically, it isn't much more than a .270 Win. if you follow the pressure guidelines. As you can see from some of the posts above, you can achieve some impressive velocities if you don't follow pressure guidelines from the bullet and powder manufacturers. I like to live more on the cautious side so try not to push past the recommended maximum loads. If you do that, you will quickly find that the velicites that you can reach aren't much more than the 270 and can't match the 7mm Rem. Mag. However, you can load the 264 for plenty of velocity to hunt most big game in the lower 48. I would only hesitate using it on the big bears of AK.

My Dad claimed he always got better accuracy with the 2-diameter Winchester bullet and that when Winchester quit selling it as a component in the 70s, that he never could find a bullet that would shoot as good. I searched and searched for some of these 2-diameter bullets after I got the rifle and finally found some Remington Core-loks made years ago. I tried them this past summer and was highly disappointed in the accuracy. We're talking 6-8 in. "groups." It was obviously the bullets, since other bullets like the 140gr. Partitions shot in 1-1.5" groups. I used a 140gr. Partition load to shoot my antelope this year using my Dad's rifle. There have been discussions elsewhere on the campfire where people say that Winchester and others still use the 2-diameter bullet in their factory ammo. I'm a handloader at heart, so have never tried any of the new factory ammo.

One last note: I was hesitant to try the new 127gr. Nosler Accubond Long Range bullets in this rifle due to the slower twist rate as compared to some of the newer twist rates on current 6.5 rifles. I asked about this on the Gunwriters forum and Mule Deer (John Barsness) told me that he had no problems when he tried it in his Westerner and at the altitude that I typically hunt in, that I should have even less problems. I was already prepped for hunting season to use the 140 gr. Partition, but on my last trip to the range, on a lark, I loaded three rounds with the ABLR bullet with a powder charge that I thought would work. I shot those three into about 0.5". Not sure that I could repeat that and it may have been a complete fluke, but I'm definitely going to try those bullets some more when I have another chance to load some up.

Bottom line for me, as a hunter and handloader, is that the .264 WM is a lot of fun to play with and it has some panache and nostalgia that makes it even cooler. However, if someone was looking only for an efficient rifle to use strictly as a tool for hunting here in the US, I would tell them that there are probably much better cartridges to get the job done. I hope that helps you out a little bit!

Cool story. Thanks for sharing. That rifle you have of your dads is a true treasure. It is nice when you know the history of a rifle like that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Stock trim

[Linked Image]

With the McM on its diet

[Linked Image]

It’s a good shooting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Damn, that's nice, hell of a shooter too, I always thought about Retumbo and 140gr NPT's for a 264WM.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by beretzs
Stock trim

[Linked Image]

With the McM on its diet

[Linked Image]

It’s a good shooting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Damn, that's nice, hell of a shooter too, I always thought about Retumbo and 140gr NPT's for a 264WM.

It works well for me. 33 is super as well.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 beretzs, bought some 33 for my Mashburn, it likes H-1000 and H-4831sc much better, you or Joel give me a holler on the way through some day and i'll give you the 33.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
10-4 beretzs, bought some 33 for my Mashburn, it likes H-1000 and H-4831sc much better, you or Joel give me a holler on the way through some day and i'll give you the 33.

Sounds like a plan. 33 really does well with the 175’s in my Mashburn right around 3050-3100 with them and so far, it’s been terribly consistent all year round. In my lifelong search of great, the Mashburn with 175’s around that speed has really left me wondering where in Heck I’d ever not like it. It just pounds animals.

Apparently Mr. Warren Page knew what he had, over 50 years ago...

Last edited by beretzs; 12/08/19.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
778 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 89 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.