-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get the cerimac tile that looks like wood, best of both worlds. Daughter has it and a couple of friends.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Only vinyl plank i've found worth a tinkers damn is the life proof stuff from Home Depot. I've used others and it's all failed. Right now I have it in the kitchen, two bathrooms, and the entryway.

If you want good flooring advice PM Roger (STXhunter) he knows his schit.

There is better looking flooring products out there but...
I put it in about 6 or 7 years ago in a coastal home that flooded during hurricane Hermine in 2016.
Removed it all, dried the place out and reinstalled it. Since that time I have beat the living schit out of it and it is flawless today.. A couple times I thought I had scuffed it pushing furniture around but it cleaned up.

It has a lifetime warranty...

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, in the house I'm remodeling, we decided to go with the vinyl plank flooring. Mainly because of the price and it's virtually maintenance free. There are some thing to look for, such as the thickness of the flooring and the wear layer. We found vinyl flooring as thin as 1.5mm all the way up to 7mm. The wear layers varied from 3 mills to 28 mills. We were told the 7mm 28 mill was the commercial stuff, found in very high traffic areas. We bought the 5 mm 20 mill, which we were told is used for heavy traffic areas in a home or light commercial use, such as in an office. I'm in the process of installing it myself and it's not hard to lay. Need a good set of knee pads, though. I'm installing a floating floor, but it can be glued down.

The cost with padding was $2.79 sq. ft. and it's going in every room.

Cons..... They recommend you put pads under chair legs, tables, couch, etc. They say the flooring will scratch/maybe cut if furniture is slid on it. Wife has the felt pads under all the furniture legs anyway, so this isn't an issue, to us. Floor must be pretty dog gone level and smooth for instillation. You have to 'acclimate' the flooring to the rooms. Since it's winter, I turned the heat on and let the flooring 'warm up' to room temp for 48 hrs, before installing. As the OP said, some dont like the look or feel of it.

Pros.... Easy to install, not too expensive, lots of colors/choices, waterproof, lifetime warranty, maintenance free.

Just my .02.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by Steve
We just got most of the house done in engineered HW. 2300ft of it. They can put really amazingly hard finishes on the engineered stuff. So far (few weeks) haven't seen any marks from our 80 lb lab.

$?

Don't ask...

We put in engineered HW on the main floor (living, dining, office and bedroom), about 1,100 square feet for about $5K installed, about five years ago. We kept the cost down by working with a local flooring company and ordered the same style a contractor was using in two houses, so we all managed to jump into a good "volume" bracket. That saved almost half, IIRC. Then had a local handy man put it in. IIRC it was close to a third of the cost of real hardwood, with MUCH less disruption (and dust and vapors, etc).

The redhead is beyond picky about keeping things "perfect", and has fussed a little about dog scratches from the two 60 lb Drents and her 85 lb Dobie. I can't see it, but I'm not that picky.

It's not hardwood, but darn close. It doesn't feel cheap and thin like laminate floors, feels much more solid like hardwood. It's pretty slick, and the dogs do skitter about some when they get excited. One thing to remember is that it's real wood, so it will darken. Ours darkened a LOT. We have area rugs with non-slip backing in the living room, the bedroom and at the entrances. Overall, I'm very well pleased. Would do it again in a heartbeat, unless money is no object, then hardwood all the way.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Laminate engineered wood. Not humidity and moisture susceptible ( like real hardwood) and hella durable

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reading over some of the answers/ideas, I thought I would add this.

Over the years, we've had carpet, linoleum, hardwood, and laminated plank flooring in one house or the other. My wife like plants, so that means there are some in the house. All the floors above will stain/ warp/ soak up water when she over waters the plants and I dont care how careful she is, it's gonna happen. BTDT. Another reason we chose the vinyl plank.

I know its not for everyone, but for us, it's gonna work.

Added: I even put down Advantech (engineered very water resistant OSB) as a subfloor. Guess why?

Last edited by Oldman3; 12/08/19.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Luxury" vinyl plank is the way to go. Not the cheap stuff, but the planks with a good core layer and underlayment layer. Extremely durable, easy to install, maintenance free, super easy to clean, and the higher quality planks have a lifetime residential warranty (some even a lifetime commercial warranty). I'm nearly 2/3's finished with a complete home installation. Like the OP, I explored every option out there. In the end, a few builder friends who construct high end homes convinced me. They are installing it in custom homes even when budget is not an issue.

We couldn't be happier with the way ours turned out. I was very skeptical that the repeated patterns would drive me nuts. Its a non issue. Patterns aren't noticed at all unless there is a large expanse of open floor, in which case a rug breaks it all up.

We absolutely love it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ctsmith
"Luxury" vinyl plank is the way to go. Not the cheap stuff, but the planks with a good core layer and underlayment layer. Extremely durable, easy to install, maintenance free, super easy to clean, and the higher quality planks have a lifetime residential warranty (some even a lifetime commercial warranty). I'm nearly 2/3's finished with a complete home installation. Like the OP, I explored every option out there. In the end, a few builder friends who construct high end homes convinced me. They are installing it custom homes even when budget is not an issue.

We couldn't be happier with the way ours turned out. I was very skeptical that the repeated patterns would drive me nuts. Its a non issue. Patterns aren't noticed at all unless there is a large expanse of open floor, in which case a rug breaks it all up.

We absolutely love it.

i install a lot of it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
stx, how do you like it?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Roger, keep in mind cost is a factor, but what would be your choice if this were your house?

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
One thing to keep in mind with real wood is that any American hardwood is very soft, African and south American species will rate far above on the jenga scale. (Wood density chart). Acacia is possibly. 22 proof, got to bring a piece home and try it one day. All that said good lvp is a great option, cost efficient, easily repaired, easily installed and no environmental movement.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any wood floor we have put down is used. Cheaper that way.

It has been run through a planner.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Roger, keep in mind cost is a factor, but what would be your choice if this were your house?

well cost for me is less than what y'all would pay, i can generally get most stuff at cost. most of my home is engineered hard wood. the home depot vinyl plank life proof stuff is really good, and if you can read a tape you can it do yourself and looks good. noticed a few weeks ago my wood floor in the living room has a spot that has rotted how i have no idea as it has never been wet (dry rot i don't know) when i replace it, i will probably use travertine or some other stone tile.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

Various patterns, colors, textures, etc., of 'man-made' commercial floor coverings typically get phased out after a relatively short period making matching replacements hard to impossible to find should the need become necessary. With flooring like vinyl, tile, 'engineered' wood-look, it would be wise to buy a few extra boxes just in case the need should ever arise. Probably would be a good idea to buy a extra yards of matching carpet, too, as it could be professionally spliced in if area repairs were ever needed.

very true

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by joken2

Various patterns, colors, textures, etc., of 'man-made' commercial floor coverings typically get phased out after a relatively short period making matching replacements hard to impossible to find should the need become necessary. With flooring like vinyl, tile, 'engineered' wood-look, it would be wise to buy a few extra boxes just in case the need should ever arise. Probably would be a good idea to buy a extra yards of matching carpet, too, as it could be professionally spliced in if area repairs were ever needed.

very true

Just moved about a dozen boxes of extra into our storage area. Just in case.

Carpe' Scrotum
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We did the dining and living room with Mirage red oak. Don't know how it will hold up, but sure is purty.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We have used the newer waterproof vinyl plank flooring in two projects.
The next house will be done almost exclusively in this.
As was said, keep enough extra to make repairs, this stuff will come back up just the way you laid it down. Floating floor that is.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
As was said, keep enough extra to make repairs, this stuff will come back up just the way you laid it down. Floating floor that is.

I put the Life Proof vinyl plank in the kitchen, 3 days later I dropped a knife and it stuck, I cussed and pulled it out and on each side of the cut it was lifted up. I tookm a ball peen and gently tapped it back down.

You'd never know it was ever damaged, I'm super fugging impressed!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

I put the Life Proof vinyl plank in the kitchen, 3 days later I dropped a knife and it stuck, I cussed and pulled it out and on each side of the cut it was lifted up. I tookm a ball peen and gently tapped it back down.

You'd never know it was ever damaged, I'm super fugging impressed!

The LVP flooring that I'm installing looks like old reclaimed wood. Its rough and has grain to it. Rattlesnake chose it because of events like yours. She said small scratches wouldn't show like they would on a smooth surface glossy surface.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.