Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by super T
Rock Chuck, in the late 60's and mid 70's a friend of mine live in Buhl. He worked for Green Giant as a field rep. to growers. He had access to some amazing pheasant hunting. I hunted with him a lot, so many birds. Great times.
In those days, this area was a pheasant Mecca. Those days are long gone now. With all the pivot sprinklers, there's just no cover or winter feed for them. Also, they've propagated the raptors. We now have hawks of every size around here. They have to eat a lot of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What shot size is best on them?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We always had good luck with 6.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Back when I was guiding for Ring Neck in the Mekong Delta....we used and liked the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant no.5's.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My trail camera in South MS took this shot this morning. I have no idea what I am looking at.

The picture is a little small and it's hard to tell but I think what you have there Paul is a Sichuan Pheasant.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Rock Chuck, in the late 60's and mid 70's a friend of mine live in Buhl. He worked for Green Giant as a field rep. to growers. He had access to some amazing pheasant hunting. I hunted with him a lot, so many birds. Great times.
In those days, this area was a pheasant Mecca. Those days are long gone now. With all the pivot sprinklers, there's just no cover or winter feed for them. Also, they've propagated the raptors. We now have hawks of every size around here. They have to eat a lot of them.
We had a decent amount of pheasant around here back then too. They're nearly non existent now. We still have good cover but too many raptors and furred predators wiped them out pretty thoroughly. Raptors of all kinds have definitely been protected for far too long.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 72 or 73, we had an incredible jackrabbit boom. The next year it busted. At the same time, they were starting to increase the raptors. After 45 years, the rabbits have never come back in any good numbers. I rarely see a cottontail any more. We also have quite a few red foxes.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We had a decent amount of pheasant around here back then too. They're nearly non existent now. We still have good cover but too many raptors and furred predators wiped them out pretty thoroughly. Raptors of all kinds have definitely been protected for far too long.

I hear the occasional owl and hawk, but there aren't a whole lot of raptors around. I also created what I suspect is ideal habitat for pheasants. I carved a half mile long trail out around the perimeter of my property. Most of it has a canopy over it with lots of ground escape routes available.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image sharing

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great horned owls are particularly tough on the rabbits here. I find spots in the snow every winter where a set of rabbit tracks ends and all that's left is a little fur, a couple drops of blood and big wing prints in the snow.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I hear the occasional owl and hawk, but there aren't a whole lot of raptors around. I also created what I suspect is ideal habitat for pheasants. I carved a half mile long trail out around the perimeter of my property. Most of it has a canopy over it with lots of ground escape routes available.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image sharing
That's weird, we have a ton of raptors here. Great horned owls, red tail and coopers hawks are numerous. I quite commonly see Great Horned owls fly by or perched in trees
when out in the woods at dusk. Bald eagle sightings are common. I saw two yesterday in a 25 mile drive up the interstate. One flying across the road and another perched in a tree along side. I've counted as many as 20 hawks perched on power poles/lines in that same 25 mile drive when I'm paying attention.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This is an informative read on pheasants and habitat requirements:

https://www.michigandnr.com/publica...downers_Guide/Species_Mgmt/Pheasants.htm

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 308ld
Seventy year old eyes suck......... cry

I found it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I must be missing something, I look and look and all I see is a winter-range Hermit Thrush, doing what hermit thrushes usually do. Fuzzy pic tho and I don’t see the distinctive russet tail, but hermit thrushes are found all across North America and have several subspecies which vary somewhat in appearance. Beautiful song tho, especially in the Eastern forms.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pen raised pheasant will sometimes have an enlarged hole in their beak where blinders were once attached.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have to download then enlarge. It's obviously a RNP.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
An Eastern form in action 😎

https://musicofnature.com/project/hermit-thrush/

Back East they have competition from Wood Thrushes and such for being the most beautiful singer in the woods.

The Rocky Mountain forms sing a slightly thinner, less musical version, but when I get up into the mountains after the long haul across the Plains, the song of the hermit thrush is for me the sound of the Rockies 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The pheasants flourished when we were hard on predators and had ample hedgerows. Less so now. Was always hailed as a purely positive non-native introduction.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Number 6 six shot will cure what ails him.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by 308ld
Seventy year old eyes suck......... cry

I found it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I must be missing something, I look and look and all I see is a winter-range Hermit Thrush, doing what hermit thrushes usually do. Fuzzy pic tho and I don’t see the distinctive russet tail, but hermit thrushes are found all across North America and have several subspecies which vary somewhat in appearance. Beautiful song tho, especially in the Eastern forms.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush

You've watched too many birds and strained your lookers. Not sure how you see a song bird in that pic. As Boomer said, download and enlarge. You'll see the tail. Maybe.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
An Eastern form in action 😎

https://musicofnature.com/project/hermit-thrush/

Back East they have competition from Wood Thrushes and such for being the most beautiful singer in the woods.

The Rocky Mountain forms sing a slightly thinner, less musical version, but when I get up into the mountains after the long haul across the Plains, the song of the hermit thrush is for me the sound of the Rockies 😎

Definitely not a thrush. It's hard to tell relative side from the photo, but with my familiarity with the area, it's way too big to be a thrush. It is pheasant sized.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.