Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
Lw308 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
What would me the major factor in a DRT shot besides bullet placement? Medium size game. Speed or energy? Say 25-06 Rem vs a .308 Win?

God, Family, and Guns. Be strong in your beliefs and work hard.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullet construction and momentum.
Lighter and faster and heavier and slower can both get the job done.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shot placement.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A well placed bullet with either is good for a DRT or not going any [bleep] where one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After placement,impact velocity plays the greatest role. Which is why Subsonic affairs,are far from encouraging. Hint. Congratulations?!?

BC fhuqks with pointy heads,as these Droolers attest obliviously. Hint.

Bless their hearts for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
After placement,impact velocity plays the greatest role. Which is why Subsonic affairs,are far from encouraging. Hint. Congratulations?!?

BC fhuqks with pointy heads,as these Droolers attest obliviously. Hint.

Bless their hearts for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Hey cone head,

How do you like Kimber rimfire rifles? Post pics and a report unless you dont have the gonads.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lw308
Speed or energy? ..

For those who buy the Roy Weatherby insurance salesmanship hydrostatic shock bS, it would be 'speed'.

he's quoted as saying;

. “dropped every animal where I hit him....they all died instantly.”

can all real world Roy cartridge users make such claim?

The thing is, Roy Weatherby believed his hype. He lived it and breathed it. He was not just a marketing huckster;
he was a true zealot, preaching the gospel of velocity and ultra-modern stock styling. Provided you didn't bad-mouth
his rifles and cartridges, he was also a really nice guy. His son, Ed Weatherby, just said an odd thing to me,
that I was "among the last gunwriters who really knew my dad."

C. Boddington (Guns and Ammo, May 2016.)

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bullet construction.

Match that to the velocity and the critters being hunted and you increase chances of DRT.

DRT is not guaranteed unless you strike the CNS every time.

Shoot 100 critters in the heart/lung region and you might see 50% DRT and of the others some will barely make it out of their tracks, a few will go down in sight and a couple will make you say how the f'*k did they make it this far with their vitals blown to schitt.

As far as 25-06 vs 308 on medium game which I assume you are talking about deer, get either of those scooting a bullet at 3k fps or better, bust them a little forward and catch bone and your chances for DRT are pretty damn good.......at least in my experience.

Flame away.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/08/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
#1, choose a bullet with enough weight, proper construction, and with the sectional density to ensure penetration to the vitals on the game hunted.

#2, make sure that bullet impacts with enough speed to expand, but not so much speed that it over expands.

#3, put that bullet in the right spot.

Do that and the results will be the same.

Getting a DRT shot is more dependent on the individual animal than anything we can control. Some animals just don't want to die. I've seen them drop in their tracks and I've seen them run 100 yards with virtually the same shot placement and bullet performance.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Assuming you’ve selected a proper tool for the job, bullet construction then impact velocity.

Energy has nothing to do with it and is largely a meaningless measurement.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Without speed there is no energy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A fly swatter vs. a baseball bat. Swing each one with the same speed and see which one hurts more...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Bullet construction and momentum.
Lighter and faster and heavier and slower can both get the job done.

Some people learn that chidt in kindergarten. Some struggle with the concept all their lives...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Assuming you’ve selected a proper tool for the job, bullet construction then impact velocity.

I subscribe to all of the above except the energy theory.

My opinion is that energy has been incorrectly applied to the killing equation for so many years that apon discovering the falicy it was deemed as useless. Isn't it possible that the foundation that was used to build incorrect energy theories apon was the root of the problem and not energy itself? If you build a perfect house on a crumbling foundation and the house falls down does it now mean the perfect house is now imperfect or does the house just need a proper foundation in which to stand?

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Trystan

I subscribe to all of the above except the energy theory.

My opinion is that energy has been incorrectly applied to the killing equation for so many years that apon discovering the falicy it was deemed as useless. Isn't it possible that the foundation that was used to build incorrect energy theories apon was the root of the problem and not energy itself? If you build a perfect house on a crumbling foundation and the house falls down does it now mean the perfect house is now imperfect or does the house just need a proper foundation in which to stand?

"Apon" and "Falicy"? Oh my...you are a MAGNIFICENT Fhuqktard. Hint Congratulations?!?

The only thing you "shoot",is your mouth and Imagination. Hint.

Bless your heart for tRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I killed a 4x4 Roosevelt bull several years ago using a 300 Roy with factory Wby ammo, 180 Partitions. The shot was maybe 100 yards, right behind the shoulder (front, of course), about halfway up. The bull was looking at me when I shot him. All he did was turn his head to the front and started walking. I hit him again, similar placement, he soaked that one up, too. I was gonna hit him again when he tipped over.

Died instantly my @ss.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You are not the ONLY one who drank the kool aid.....

A matter of physics.......... Without Energy there is NO work accomplished. FACT.

Now before someone says......... "xxxxxxx xxxxxxx ".

An arrow kills in a different way than a bullet > > > BOTH require E.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like an MV above 3k. As for bullets either an accubond or an X bullet of some flavor. Put that in the high shoulder region and it pulls the plug immediately. Generally I like a light to med wt for caliber bullet. Results for me have been consistent. I don't hunt or shoot as much as id like to. But when I follow what I've listed above and do my part at the shot...the results are always the same. Hit those shoulders and its instant death. Punch the lungs and it becomes a multiple choice question.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
My opinion is that energy has been incorrectly applied to the killing equation for so many years that apon discovering the falicy it was deemed as useless.

This is true. Of course energy is necessary for a bullet to kill a critter, and more energy means a greater potential to do work, but the correlation between energy and killing power has been badly misconstrued by many for decades. They neglect or misinterpret the word "potential".

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Medium game, deer etc, I'll take speed everyday of the week.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.